MA without spirituality or philosophy?

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
Morality has nothing to do with this thier is no code of conduct in MA other than what your told to do by whom your studying under or your parents. The fact of the matter is you need them both to properly obtain the goal at hand to connect the essential three. MIND, BODY, SPIRIT!
Your morality is of its own roots and does not contend with spirituality or philosophy because no matter what were are individuals who chose to do want we want witch changes what we learn.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Morality has nothing to do with this thier is no code of conduct in MA other than what your told to do by whom your studying under or your parents. The fact of the matter is you need them both to properly obtain the goal at hand to connect the essential three. MIND, BODY, SPIRIT!
Your morality is of its own roots and does not contend with spirituality or philosophy because no matter what were are individuals who chose to do want we want witch changes what we learn.
Actually, morality has everything to do with philosophy. Without philosophy, there would be no morality. That being said, a philosophy doesn't have to come from a text book or someone in an ivory tower. We all have one. Even if you don't think you do. I just find it easier to make moral decisions if I articulate my philosophy.

Jeff

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually, morality has everything to do with philosophy. Without philosophy, there would be no morality. That being said, a philosophy doesn't have to come from a text book or someone in an ivory tower. We all have one. Even if you don't think you do. I just find it easier to make moral decisions if I articulate my philosophy.

Jeff
No you have it wrong I think because to think moral is just that you must think a philosphy through and devlope it with time other than to react on morals witch trigger emtioms more so even if taught different. You have your own senses to tell you want is moral to you. morality can reach a divine point because of the emotion in it.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are trying to say there jkd friend. In my studies and experience, it seems to me that morality without the structure of a philosophy is just an arbitrary set of rules. Morality with philosophy is guide that can help you in every situation.

Jeff

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are trying to say there jkd friend. In my studies and experience, it seems to me that morality without the structure of a philosophy is just an arbitrary set of rules. Morality with philosophy is guide that can help you in every situation.

Jeff

This seems correct to me. I read a book once where the author stated that the reason we teach children to be polite is that they are too young to understand the philosophy behind it. At this stage, they are just arbitrary rules. The implication is that when they get older they will be made to understand the philosophical underpinnings of these rules. It seems to me that we have not made the best effort in recent years to teach this philosophy, which has lead to a large number of adults who also feel that morality is an arbitrary set of rules that can be abandoned without care.

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
The basis of morality is good and evil or good vs evil so what you all are saying is that every philosophy is on that root. maybe? or?:asian:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As an instructor, I have a moral obligation to teach my students when they can use the skills I have taught them - not just the skills themselves. Do I sit them down and discuss philosophy in class? No. Do I spend time in class periodically discussing what level of response is appropriate for various scenarios? Yes. Do I spend time in class discussing the potential consequences for students who use these skills inappropriately? Yes, I do - and this information is built into the material they are required to learn at various ranks. Does this material have a moral component to it? Yes it does. Therefore, I am teaching morality - from a practical rather than philosophical viewpoint. Omitting this information would be immoral, and would leave my students, and thus myself, open to legal troubles should I not teach such information and, subsequently, they used the skills learned in class to cause unwarranted harm. I know instructors who leave this information out; they consider a waste of class time. That is their loss - and more, their students' loss; without the moral component, we might as well be teaching Tae Bo.

Your opinion is obviously different, and you are welcome to it - but if you are going to continue to make blanket statements, I would appreciate it if you would include some rationale other than "because this is my opinion", because so far, I find your statements rather unconvincing.

To return to the original question, I think that spirituality and philosophy are often intertwined, and can be taught together in a martial arts setting, but as long as the moral component discussed above is included, I don't think that spirituality is necessary; whether philosophy is necessary depends on your definition of philosophy and how you teach the moral component.

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
As an instructor, I have a moral obligation to teach my students when they can use the skills I have taught them - not just the skills themselves. Do I sit them down and discuss philosophy in class? No. Do I spend time in class periodically discussing what level of response is appropriate for various scenarios? Yes. Do I spend time in class discussing the potential consequences for students who use these skills inappropriately? Yes, I do - and this information is built into the material they are required to learn at various ranks. Does this material have a moral component to it? Yes it does. Therefore, I am teaching morality - from a practical rather than philosophical viewpoint. Omitting this information would be immoral, and would leave my students, and thus myself, open to legal troubles should I not teach such information and, subsequently, they used the skills learned in class to cause unwarranted harm. I know instructors who leave this information out; they consider a waste of class time. That is their loss - and more, their students' loss; without the moral component, we might as well be teaching Tae Bo.

Your opinion is obviously different, and you are welcome to it - but if you are going to continue to make blanket statements, I would appreciate it if you would include some rationale other than "because this is my opinion", because so far, I find your statements rather unconvincing.

To return to the original question, I think that spirituality and philosophy are often intertwined, and can be taught together in a martial arts setting, but as long as the moral component discussed above is included, I don't think that spirituality is necessary; whether philosophy is necessary depends on your definition of philosophy and how you teach the moral component.

:asian:
Like I said before good vs evil very well than I am what I am a............lol!

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good and evil need to be defined. That's where philosophy comes in.