MA while pregnant?

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Michele123, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Michele123

Michele123 Green Belt

So, I’m just finishing up my first trimester of pregnancy (in two weeks). This is my fourth child but first pregnancy while actively studying martial arts (Taekwondo this time). My midwife has forbidden sparring (we do light contact) and says it is best not to push the abdominal muscles too much at this time. I plan to continue studying as much as I can for as long as I can (hopefully right up until birth)

Does anyone have any experience about studying/practicing martial arts while pregnant? I’m particularly worried about the third trimester when I’m huge...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

Have you considered taking up Sumo Wrestling?

:D

Just kidding....best wishes and prayers for a healthy baby

3. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Well yeah sparring is pretty much an obvious no go area while pregnant...my wife trained kickboxing (pad work and shadow boxing ) right up to the week she gave birth but it was in a 1-1 setting with the coach so he'd make sure it was handled properly and he could focus on her so wasn't pushed to hard

4. kitkatninja

kitkatninja Blue Belt

I haven't myself, but I have practiced with pregnant women in the past... One thing in common is that they didn't push themselves in class and they were careful... But with anything, talk to both your instructor and your GP/doctor...

There have been women in the press and youtube that are in the 3rd trimester and still practicing without problems...

8 months pregnant
    39 weeks pregnant

5. dvcochran

dvcochran Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    Saw you started a new thread so I am reposting this.

A big congratulations on the upcoming bundle of joy. FWIW, my wife was 5 months pregnant when she tested for black belt. During the pregnancy she only sparred adult black belts to stem the safety concerns. As far as the rest of the curriculum, she refused to change anything. She worked out into the 8th or 9th month then stopped for about three months. Naturally things in her performance changed as the baby grew but she has always said continuing to work out made the pregnancy go much easier. Keep in touch.

6. spidersam

spidersam Yellow Belt

dvcochran If I may... Was it hard for her to get back on the MA train after three months off? Did she totally lose things like strength and flexibility, or was it like getting back on the bicycle after a couple weeks? I'd be scared of losing a lot of things I may have worked years for.

7. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dvcochran

dvcochran Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    She used to talk about it in class. She lost little strength or conditioning and used to joke that she was more flexible after giving birth! It has been 25 years but the only thing that I remember being different was her going through a little post partum for a while. Nothing serious. But she has also frequently said that working out helped with that as well. It got a little crazy for a while as that was our first (and only) child.
    The best encouragement I anyone can give anyone is to just keep at it. I am certain the exercise and stretching really helps with, everything. We had a few other women who worked out while pregnant but none as late in the pregnancy as my wife did. I do not remember any of them having any kind of problems. Two of them came back after giving birth. One is a 3rd Dan now, the other I do not think got her BB.

9. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

I posted this in your other thread, so I’ll just copy here too...

Congratulations on the pregnancy. Somehow, all the planning in the world is irrelevant when it comes to this stuff. In a good way, of course.

I’m not a woman, nor am I a MA teacher, but I have had several classmates become pregnant, so I’ve got some insight...

No two people are the same. Better yet, no two pregnancies are the same. Case in point: there’s a woman at my dojo who’s had 2 children since I’ve been there. During her first pregnancy, she was able to train right up until about a week before delivering. Seriously. She felt great throughout the entire pregnancy and her physician said to go with it. We were jokingly taking bets as to which kick was going to cause the baby to come out. And she back on the floor about 5 weeks or so afterwards. And she said she felt like she could’ve come back sooner, but she said everyone was telling her to wait, so she did.

Her second pregnancy was quite different. She stopped training at about the 5 month mark. She was too tired, nauseous, dizzy, etc while training. She wasn’t on the floor for about 3 months after delivering. And she wasn’t having an easy time with it either.

I’ve seen both of those and and a lot of in-between. The only thing anyone can really tell you is listen to your body. Unless your physician tells you something else, then listen to what your physician tells you.

• Like Like x 1