MA vs. Non MA in the civil service fields

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In my Guard unit a friend of mine got picked to go to Army Combatives Instructor School because he runs a dojo in Colorado Springs. At my last agency several of the DT Instructors, myself included, had been picked to be instructors just for that reason; because we have a MA/MMA background; might not be the same though because they were looking for MA type people to make instructors... So when the posting came out that was on the job post.

Other than that I have never promoted myself or heard of anyone else doing that unless they were actively looking for those skill sets; even then I think everybody who applied and got it found out they wanted. We knew we were going to be sent to a DT Instructor school specifically. No one wanted to volunteer for anything they didn't have a good idea of what they getting into first. Military or Cops do not really volunteer for anything unless they get the skinny first.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have worked both Govt. and Civilian security and I've never openly admitted to my martial arts background, but I've also never denied it either if asked. For me I don't think that it would've made much difference in the hiring process where I worked.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I never have put it down before, BUT... now that I am the head instructor of the TKD class at the local YMCA, I may in the future.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For myself it has always been a positive. It has in the past helped me out in getting a job. When I went through the academy it also became known when the DT & PPCT training started and helped quite a bit as well! Instead of being threatened the DT instructor's were appreciative of anyone with boxing, martial arts and or wrestling backgrounds. I think if you are secure in yourself and not overly putting it out there to much that it can only help!
icon6.gif

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I list it on my resume because I am an instructor part time for a local school. I do not work in security, but it has been a means of demonstrating that I can communicate material to others effectively.

Comments have always been positive. Most often, it has been viewed in the same way that employers view an applicant coaching little league or having some other community involvement.

Daniel

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ive found that martial arts (and also just general fitness interests) often look good on an application personally. It shows discipline and respect (generally) in much the same was as say military service might. Who doesnt want a well disciplined honorable person working for them? of course this isnt always the case with individuals or individual jobs but yeah, generally ive found it a positive. I just put down martial arts under interests though I dont list off all the arts or rankings etc.

My instructor went to work in a big prison overseas and told us how they came to do unarmed training, and guys tried telling him how to fight (which is somewhat amusing as he was in our local paper for fighting off like 6 guys and saving some lady etc, and is clearly a big well built guy who knows something). He just said nothing until sparring came round and he basically swept the floor with everyone. The immediately put him on the special cell extraction/swat team of the prison ;) Soon he was training everyone else...

'I wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley' he said to me.

I replied 'Actually you WOULD want to meet me in a dark alley, cause I have a good nature and cause of my training, you'd have a better chance getting out of there un-harmed'

Exactly what I say. Because I am trained I know not to stomp on peoples heads on the ground, because its dangerous you could kill them, and I know how to keep my cool and control someone while minimizing the damage to them. Also im not the kinda of person to randomly start ****, so yeah I reckon us martial artists are probably some of the best people to run into in a dark alley!

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I didn't list it, it would show up as a 2 year gap in employment. I'd rather have the stigma of being a martial artist. That being said, it actually HELPED me get the job.

Latest Discussions