"MA-related things you just don't understand and would like to admit it to someone" thread!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Obviously I don't know what you did, but for future reference, I can tell you that nothing gets out blood stains better than hydrogen peroxide...

In my experience it works great, as long as it is the first thing you use it is awesome. Run it through the wash and it never comes out

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why do you think that some people like to train MA, but are not interested in fighting? Your thought?

For some, fighting in MA is a means to an end - improvement of self thru the rigors endured in MA practice. Gaining strength, confidence and mastery over their body. Tactical thinking, mental and physical discipline, control of spirit and control of situations. Overcoming self-imposed limitations, overcoming pain and overcoming ego. Having accomplished this, threats can often be resolved, or victory achieved, without fighting.

For others, the excitement of combat and competition, or the thrill of winning is the main goal for fighting. Some of the above can still be achieved by this type of practitioner as secondary benefits. But several of the above may elude them, as well.

And some may just be looking for simple exercise or an interesting hobby. They may have no other goal than this, which is fine. But their rewards will be limited.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I don't mean fighting. I mean sparring. I have asked many my long fist brothers for sparring. But none of them are interested. It makes no sense that people like to train MA, but don't like sparring.
Ah. I'd guess there are a few things that could be at play. For some, they've bought into the idea that to be any good you must be the best among your cohort (the epitome of this is everyone in the group thinking the instructor must be unbeatable), so won't risk losing that image in sparring. For others, they may just like the challenge of the skills (I see this some in NGA, where some folks really like focusing on the classical drills), and may not care about application. I've even occasionally met purists who saw the application as somehow less than the classical stuff.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I don't mean fighting. I mean sparring. I have asked many my long fist brothers for sparring. But none of them are interested. It makes no sense that people like to train MA, but don't like sparring.
Depending on which MA you are in, not everyone likes getting battered about. Most people have a day job so the risk of injury or marring an otherwise 'professional' appearance may be part of the reason. The intensity of the sparring session should also be dictated by the lower rank.

In our dojo, as probably in most training halls, there are people that are well known that like to spar at any intensity. Not all kohai have the courage to ask a higher rank to spar after class so we encourage students to do just that. Pick someone of higher rank that they feel comfortable and safe with who will give them a challenging match but not take advantage of their lack of experience to just to 'win' the match. Both parties should be able to walk away having learnt or conveyed something useful to both their journeys.

Have you asked them why they aren't interested in sparring with you ?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Well, I think you need to be able to see things from outside of your own personal interests and accept that different people have different approaches to training. You don’t have to like what others do, but that isn’t the point. Understanding it isn’t really difficult.

You train in a method that has a strong competitive approach. So it makes sense that you enjoy sparring. Not all systems or schools have embraced competition. They choose to train differently. And this has nothing to do with the assertion that some people are not interested in useful application, and instead are only interested in exercise or a purely theoretical practice.

Not everyone agrees that sparring is the pinnacle of training nor that it is essential to developing useful skills. Interactive training is essential in developing an ability to use one’s skills. But that can take many forms. Sparring is one of those forms. It can be useful depending on how it is undertaken. It can also be detrimental, depending on how it is undertaken. It is one tool among many, that is available. Some people are not overly fond of it, even though many are.

So it really just comes down to a difference in how some people approach their training. Not much else to it, really.