"MA-related things you just don't understand and would like to admit it to someone" thread!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m fine with that. I just hope to live to eighty!

I just visited my dad up in Flagstaff this last Thursday. Now that we've all been vaccinated, it seemed like a good time. He had just gone skiing the day before and the snow was good so he was in a great mood. Anyway, he'll turn 96 in a week, so he thinks just living to be eighty is for the birds. ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just visited my dad up in Flagstaff this last Thursday. Now that we've all been vaccinated, it seemed like a good time. He had just gone skiing the day before and the snow was good so he was in a great mood. Anyway, he'll turn 96 in a week, so he thinks just living to be eighty is for the birds. ;)
Ski at the age of 96 is amazing. What is your dad's long life secret?

My long fist teacher is 94. His secret is to drink Goji berries drink daily.

Goji-berries.png

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ski at the age of 96 is amazing. What is your dad's long life secret?

My long fist teacher is 94. His secret is to drink Goji berries drink daily.

His secret? He was a successful surgeon who retired comfortably at 69 to spend a lot more time skiing ...that and enjoying a nice single malt scotch in the evenings. Oh, having a younger wife who cooks really well helps too.

But, honestly I think the longevity is just in his genes. His grandmother lived to be 101, his mom made it to 102 and his dad died at 97 with a heart condition. My dad had a similar heart problem but with advances in medicine, they were able to fix it last year without having to do open heart surgery. So he's good for now.

On the other hand, I chose a career in the arts and teaching so I live much more humbly and I seem to get my genes more from my mom (who passed away some six years back). So the idea of making it to 80 without suffering from dementia, decrepitude, or poverty sounds OK to me. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do some MA systems punch more and kick less? In your training, what's the proper ratio for your kick and punch?
I think that's mostly a matter of preference. I train kicks more than I use them. I find them more fun to train than punches, but I'm a much better puncher than kicker, so I don't kick a lot in sparring.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

SO awesome.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Awesome. Just awesome.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't mean to go all Bruce Lee on you here, but the goal should be simply to simplify. Yes you need options, but if one of those options is a spinning back flibberty jibber over head, with a twist to a side kick headstand to a full nelson surplex..... no one is ever going to remember that under pressure

That is my point, but needing a cane does mean that most of the cane applications I see taught are not viable...if you actually need the cane. And I'm speaking from experience here, I've needed one a lot over the last couple years. No one who needs a cane to walk is going to deliver a jumping side kick to someones head, after using the cane for blocks that depend on having 2 working legs to actually pull of the blocks. But a cane can be used, by someone who needs it, for SD..... you just have to show them how...without the side kicks and jumps...and it can be effective.

And let me add, anyone showing that you should use the hook of the cane to pull the attacker closer so you can attack...has never needed a cane and has no idea what it is like to be old. The last thing a person with an infirmity, or an older person should be doing is pulling a younger, stinger attacker towards them.

You should maybe write or make a video about this. I'm really interested as this is something I've always wondered about myself (not that I've ever needed a cane, but hey, I'm sure that day will come for all of us eventually).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You should maybe write or make a video about this. I'm really interested as this is something I've always wondered about myself (not that I've ever needed a cane, but hey, I'm sure that day will come for all of us eventually).

I was working on cane stuff, but due to, highly likely, pending knee replacement surgery, everything is on hold. I will say the stuff I have seen, as it applies to Cane, from Tom Bisio actually does appear to address some things that would apply to folks who actually need a cane

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't either, Bear. So difficult to keep clean during hard training.

We recently had one of our young girls forced to buy a new gi to compete because the sleeves were either too long or to short or something.

Which I think is balls at the best of times. Let alone with children who grow too quickly for clothes to keep up with.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We recently had one of our young girls forced to buy a new gi to compete because the sleeves were either too long or to short or something.

Which I think is balls at the best of times. Let alone with children who grow too quickly for clothes to keep up with.

I ran a large dojo for a long time, nobody really had much money. I used to contact people who had quit and asked them to donate their old gi. When they said "But I might come back", I told them "then I'll give you a new gi."

We'd give the used gis to anyone who couldn't afford one. It got to the point where the regulars wanted to buy the old gis because they were already broken in. All the gis were black, that's what we wore.

I did buy one white gi, back in the point tournament days. Because at some tournaments if you wore a black gi you couldn't buy a point with a bag full of money.

And if you had ever showed up in that cool multi colored gi you have, they wouldn't have let you compete. That's how screwed up it was back then.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I ran a large dojo for a long time, nobody really had much money. I used to contact people who had quit and asked them to donate their old gi. When they said "But I might come back", I told them "then I'll give you a new gi."

We'd give the used gis to anyone who couldn't afford one. It got to the point where the regulars wanted to buy the old gis because they were already broken in. All the gis were black, that's what we wore.

I did buy one white gi, back in the point tournament days. Because at some tournaments if you wore a black gi you couldn't buy a point with a bag full of money.

And if you had ever showed up in that cool multi colored gi you have, they wouldn't have let you compete. That's how screwed up it was back then.
Nail on the head.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah a lot of place's wouldn't let me compete in it over here as well.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of place's wouldn't let me compete in it over here as well.
most sports have a dress code for competicions, even 8 ball pool tournament require you to wear black trousers and a white shirt, polishing your shoes is optional

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For this and following quote: The gi should not be the focus of attention or call undue attention to oneself.

What could be cooler than fresh red blood clearly showing on a plain white gi?
Ah, it does show quite nicely, doesn't it. I went to class once on a day when I'd given blood. Sprang a leak all over myself.