"MA-related things you just don't understand and would like to admit it to someone" thread!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Latosa Escrima, we often assume a southpaw, "power-side forward" stance and place relatively more weight on our front leg and you drop your weight as you punch (sometimes even stamping sorta "Baji style"). When adopting that approach, it is easy to maximize your power linking your punch to the movement of your front foot.

The difference between that and the WC method described earlier really has to do with stance and weighting. Both depend on body unification for a powerful punch.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also, when delivering punches that are used as distractions, or as set ups, etc. Jabs are often used like that.

Not everything has to have maximum power.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
^^^^ That.
So you are talking about defense, set up, fake attack.

I like this entering strategy (set up) very much. You step in your back leg, at the same time, your left hand pull on your opponent's wrist, your right hand pull on his elbow. It's a very fast 1 move if you can coordinate both hands with back foot landing.

Body unification is not only good for power generation, it's also good for speed generation.

Lin-shoulder-strike-1.gif

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's harder to coordinate punch with your back leg.

Liao-Chen-Taiji-Fajin.gif

It's easier to coordinate punch with your leading leg.

Adam-cross.gif
I agree. But I don't understand why we'd be talking about requirements for all systems. If someone wanted to build a system around how to coordinate a punch with the rear leg (perhaps a more deceptive punch) or how to punch without using the whole body (perhaps to have a punch that works when your movement is restricted), I can't see any reason they should have to use principles we like.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew...that's a tough read. If I followed it (and I'm not sure I did), I find two points that matter in this context:
  1. The author appears to be talking about the problem of GOTO not being subtle or complex enough to handle the complexities of complex code (yeah, that's what it sounded like in my mind). I saw nothing in his reasoning to suggest any issues with GOTO in simpler code.
  2. He actually refers to an admonishment against using it except for "alarm exits", which I suppose to be the same as error trapping.
So, good to avoid, except where appropriate (and mostly a caution related to complex code). Did I read that right?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whew...that's a tough read. If I followed it (and I'm not sure I did), I find two points that matter in this context:
  1. The author appears to be talking about the problem of GOTO not being subtle or complex enough to handle the complexities of complex code (yeah, that's what it sounded like in my mind). I saw nothing in his reasoning to suggest any issues with GOTO in simpler code.
  2. He actually refers to an admonishment against using it except for "alarm exits", which I suppose to be the same as error trapping.
So, good to avoid, except where appropriate (and mostly a caution related to complex code). Did I read that right?
Pretty much. “Alarm exits” would be handling and exiting the program with an appropriate message on fatal errors. Almost any real world application code these days is complex enough that you wouldn’t want to use “GOTO” - and if it doesn’t start out that way, it will end up there after a while.

Dikstra was a hugely influential figure in early programming. He was the driving force behind structured programming, which is the underlying foundation for later developments such as object-oriented programming. This particular essay, “GOTO considered harmful” was a notable example of his influence and a major reason why most modern programming languages don’t even include GOTO and if they do it’s generally intended for specific limited usage.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You may write the code, but somebody else may maintain for you. When a bug is found, that person has to chance your code. If you use "structure programming", your code is just like an electronic part. He can unplug your code, and plug in the new code. In order to achieve that, your code need to have "1 entry and 1 exit". By using GOTO, your code will break the "1 entry and 1 exit" guideline.

You may write a program with GOTO and still work. But the day when someone has to modify your code to add in new function, the problem will appear. Instead of just to replace a small part of your code, he may have to rewrite your code. That will cost a lot.

It's all about maintenance cost.

Last edited:

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont understand why taekwondo always used kick not punch back hand strikes when their sparring and also why they only used kicks

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I dont understand why taekwondo always used kick not punch back hand strikes when their sparring and also why they only used kicks

Not all TKD schools are like that. Ours wasn't. But....kicking is way more fun. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. “Alarm exits” would be handling and exiting the program with an appropriate message on fatal errors. Almost any real world application code these days is complex enough that you wouldn’t want to use “GOTO” - and if it doesn’t start out that way, it will end up there after a while.

Dikstra was a hugely influential figure in early programming. He was the driving force behind structured programming, which is the underlying foundation for later developments such as object-oriented programming. This particular essay, “GOTO considered harmful” was a notable example of his influence and a major reason why most modern programming languages don’t even include GOTO and if they do it’s generally intended for specific limited usage.
Most of the code I run into in VBA in Access is fairly simple. I know because I'm able to follow it. That's probably why GOTO is still common usage. I'm not even sure how you'd do error trapping in Access without it - I've never seen an example of it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may write the code, but somebody else may maintain for you. When a bug is found, that person has to chance your code. If you use "structure programming", your code is just like an electronic part. He can unplug your code, and plug in the new code. In order to achieve that, your code need to have "1 entry and 1 exit". By using GOTO, your code will break the "1 entry and 1 exit" guideline.

You may write a program with GOTO and still work. But the day when someone has to modify your code to add in new function, the problem will appear. Instead of just to replace a small part of your code, he may have to rewrite your code. That will cost a lot.

It's all about maintenance cost.

Mmmm...I don't follow how GOTO changes the exit point in the way I've seen it used. It simply jumps to another point in the code (where the error handling code is placed). If you mean that it skips part of the code, I agree. I'm not clear how that's different from an IF..THEN statement that omits that portion of the code if the condition isn't met.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

A good example of how the sport aspect influenced the art. If I'm not mistaken, the judging system in TKD tournaments puts a higher point value to kicks (especially high spinning ones?) than punches. Thus, since scoring kicks is the quicker path to winning the match, that is what's practiced and emphasized. IMO, one of the drawbacks of point competition.

But....kicking is way more fun. :)

But more also more tiring :). Besides, for me, a good solid punch is more difficult to land (having to close in and safely enter) and the feel of connecting with it somehow more satisfying. Though, kicks can help set up the hands (and visa versa).

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You may ask similar questions such as:

Why

- Judo guys don't punch?
- Boxers don't kick?
- MT guys don't fight on the ground?
- BJJ guys don't deal with multiple opponents?

Some people may think they should master a certain skill before they can start to cross train and do the integration.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
kicking is way more fun. :)
I believe a

- jump kick can take twice as much energy as a kick takes.
- kick can take twice as much energy as a punch takes.

With the same amount of energy you spend on a jump kick, you may be able to throw 4 punches instead.

The day when you are 80, you may still be able to punch, but your jump kick ability won't be as good.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe a

With the same amount of energy you spend on a jump kick, you may be able to throw 4 punches instead.

The day when you are 80, you may still be able to punch, but your jump kick ability won't be as good.
I agree with all of that. I’m also learning to take pleasure in things for their own sake. I may not be able to run in 20 years, so I sometimes just run to feel it. Same with kicks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why do some MA systems punch more and kick less? In your training, what's the proper ratio for your kick and punch?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

I dont think i can say i will get get kata or why some are done or in application why they are applied that way. Some of the application is wacky.

I will never undserstand why you at upper average height fighting someone at the same hieght has to learn the groin strike thing to drop the head.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe a

I’m fine with that. I just hope to live to eighty!

Latest Discussions