MA computer game

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does anybody know whether or not the following MA computer game is available?

I stand in front of my TV screen (or sit in front of my keyboard) and you stand in front of your TV screen (or sit in front of your keyboard). You and I can have a real challenge fight.

Of course the game can simulate the body movement. But since average user's MA skill may be limited, the game won't be fun.

That mean this game should contain all MA techniques (kick, punch, lock, throw, ground game, short weapon, long weapon, ...), counters, counters to counters, ....

Last edited:

StellarAevum

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I stand in front of my TV screen (or sit in front of my keyboard) and you stand in front of your TV screen (or sit in front of your keyboard). You and I can have a real challenge fight.

Of course the game can simulate the body movement. But since average user's MA skill may be limited, the game won't be fun.

That mean this game should contain all MA techniques (kick, punch, lock, throw, ground game, short weapon, long weapon, ...), counters, counters to counters, ....

As someone with passable knowledge and training of computer science and game design, I would say that any such game would have severe limitations.

For example, the computers do take some time to communicate with each other which creates a larger gap between thought and action than in a real-life martial arts scenario.

That alone would likely greatly impact the practicality of many techniques.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you and I both are only allowed to use 1/2 speed (or slow speed), the fight can still be real.

Last edited:

StellarAevum

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you and I both are only allowed to use 1/2 speed (or slow speed), the fight can still be real.

I appreciate the compliment, but I am fairly certain that a fight between the two of us, no matter what speed, could hardly be called a fight at all given that I barely qualify as a novice.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I appreciate the compliment, but I am fairly certain that a fight between the two of us, no matter what speed, could hardly be called a fight at all given that I barely qualify as a novice.
When I attack you, you can pause it, spend 2 minutes to pick up your counter from your game database, you then continue the game.

StellarAevum

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I attack you, you can pause it, spend 2 minutes to pick up your counter from your game database, you then continue the game.

Interesting, so it would be more of a martial arts theory tool than a sparring tool designed to test reaction-time?

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
There would be alot missing.

One main thing would be the other person's reaction to get hit, thrown, taken down.
Even if they adopt a position that they are required to it would negate an inmediate follow up from the thrower

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think that latency is as big an issue as it's being made out to be. It will certainly affect the playability, but there exist games today where latency can be a huge factor (FPS games and action RPGs) which aren't always an issue.

The question here is: what control scheme are you using?
  • Is it motion capture? In that case we can cover striking very well, but how do you handle blocks and grabs? If I block your punch in VR, how do I make that block actually affect your punch? If I grab you and pull you in for a knee strike, the game won't make you bend over to take the hit. (Or if it does, now you and your avatar are out of sync with each other).
  • Is it a real-time action game using a controller or keyboard? In that case, somehow we have to take every possible action you can take and condense it into a few simple options. When someone throws a punch, for example, there are countless things I can do with that: I can absorb it with my guard, I can slip the punch, I can block several different ways, I can attack the wrist or the shoulder, I can simultaneously block and strike, I can parry and strike with the same hand, I can duck and shoot for the legs...how do you condense all the possibilities into something workable?
  • Is a turn-based game? In this case, how do you quantify something like a jab taking less time than a hook kick?
I think what you're looking for is going to require something like a Holodeck. While I really want one, I don't think we're quite there yet.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- Assume both persons have the same speed, power, endurance, grip strength, flexibility, balance, ... After you have won a game, your ability level will be increased.
- Distance is calculated down to mm detail.

When your opponent punch, you can decide whether you want to

- step back,
- step to your right,
- step to your left,
- stand still and dodge,
- block up,
- block down,
- block inside out,
- block outside in,
- punch back without blocking,

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Not yet, but give it time. VR is starting to get good.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds bloody fascinating KFW, would be very cool indeed :)

(And yep, played VR couple of months ago, crazy technology, was really really impressive... although I got dizzy/nauseous from only about 20 minutes of playing :s )