Lovely, damaging techniques

J

Jester

Everyone who has ever done techniques against attacks always thinks "god I'd love to see what that would do to someone".

So how about we start with an attacking technique and we list some of our favourite respones, how about we start with a nice simple attacking right cross.

I'd love to step in with a nice heavy left arm block and then go straight in with a right, hooking elbow across the jaw. Come straight back across with a reverse hooking elbow on the other side of their jaw and finish by dipping down and bringing the same elbow upwards striking the bottom of jaw.

What would other peoples favourite responses be?

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jester
Everyone who has ever done techniques against attacks always thinks "god I'd love to see what that would do to someone".

So how about we start with an attacking technique and we list some of our favourite respones, how about we start with a nice simple attacking right cross.

Depends on my mood, really. Right now, I'd say parry with my left to the outside of his right, then catch and pull his arm (lap sao from Wing Chun) with my right while stepping my right foot across to the outside of his left foot (sapu luar position in Silat), then dropping a downward left cross into his ribs while I sweep his left foot. Then, using my right foot as a fulcrum under his left leg, step my left foot over and shear his ankle between my right and left feet as he's falling from the sweep. Then restrain him long enough to search for firearms. If he has any, I'd take them so he can't shoot me as I leave. Then I'd go home.

Mike

OP
M

Mormegil

Touch of death...

Just kidding.

how about...
Slip left with a simultaenous L hand parry and nerve shot attempt to the inside bicep (gunting), bouncing my right gunting out and forward to an eye jab (1.5 beats), as I transition my right arm out cover with a left eye jab / biu jee wedging the arm just in case (2nd beat). If I were cool or he didn't retract his cross in time, I would transition to a straight arm bar with my right hand grabbing his right arm at the wrist, and left elbow just above his right elbow, and step left into a deep thigh / thigh sweep (biset dalem) and take him down. But I'm not fast enough to really pull that off just yet, so would probably just do a bread and butter cross, low hook, cross followed by a lead hook kick.

Then the fight would continue.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Depending on my preparedness:

I might block with a knife hand or rising arm while I simultaneously threw a cross at his jaw, followed by a front kick to his knee (sidekick if I felt I was in a good position).

Or, if I see it coming, I'd throw the kick to his knee while catching his wrist in a cross-block. That would enable me to either break his wrist, or twist his arm so as to exposed his elbow so I could break his arm with a palm heel strike.

When in doubt, start with a kick to the knees- you can't go too wrong there.

OP
M

Mormegil

Originally posted by Zepp
Depending on my preparedness:

When in doubt, start with a kick to the knees- you can't go too wrong there.

Great advice! Presumably you would have to fade back your upper body to avoid getting hit with the initial cross, right? Another question, would that be a lead or a rear leg kick to the knee? I presume it would depend on the range of the attacker.

This is a really interesting thread. I like seeing how people with different styles react to the same stimulus. If anybody else adds anything, it might be of interest to know what style they primarily study. How would a Drunken Kung Fu stylist handle it? How about Capoeira? More! More!

OP
D

Disco

Inside block with the right arm (hard). Right hammer fist to groin, right backfist to nose. Rotate to the right on the right foot, putting left leg behind the attacker and sweep with left leg. Your left hand / arm will also assist with the sweep or use could use a left lateral elbow strike with the sweep. Wishing him a nice day on the way down. We must be civilized now. Should'nt we?

OP
M

Mormegil

Originally posted by Mormegil
Touch of death...

Just kidding.

how about...
Slip left with a simultaenous L hand parry and nerve shot attempt to the inside bicep (gunting), bouncing my right gunting out and forward to an eye jab (1.5 beats), as I transition my right arm out cover with a left eye jab / biu jee wedging the arm just in case (2nd beat). If I were cool or he didn't retract his cross in time, I would transition to a straight arm bar with my right hand grabbing his right arm at the wrist, and left elbow just above his right elbow, and step left into a deep thigh / thigh sweep (biset dalem) and take him down. But I'm not fast enough to really pull that off just yet, so would probably just do a bread and butter cross, low hook, cross followed by a lead hook kick.

Then the fight would continue.

After I posted this, I was trying to imagine actually doing it with my hands (without looking nuts at work), and it just didn't feel right. Something was missing.

I couldn't figure it out till I got home, and could try it on an "opponent" my dummy. It just flowed out correctly. I can't seem to do a straight arm bar without first doing an outside right punch, it feels "unconnected" without it.

So I revise:

1) L inside parry with palm (my inside, his outside)/ slip to L (outside) / simultaenous right nerve shot to inside bicep (gunting)
1.5) L sunkite / biu jee / finger jab to eyes or facial area as I transition my R hand to the outside and chamber near my chest (alive hand)
2) R straight punch to the face over his arm
3) L straight punch to face, as I grab and pull (lop sao) his arm running down from the shoulder, and tightening at the wrist or above elbow (whatever catches)
4) Then attempt the straight arm bar and thigh back sweep (Biset Dalem)
5) If this hasn't dropped him, L knee gut, and try for a Sapu (hooking inward) sweep on his L leg/ankle

This is all best case scenario of course. Who knows what will land, and what will work. As I said before, if he retracts the cross before I can grab it, I'll just do a Cross, Hook, Cross, Lead kick combo, cause I'm use to it.

Here's another scenario:

What about a Left lead Uppercut?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Great advice! Presumably you would have to fade back your upper body to avoid getting hit with the initial cross, right? Another question, would that be a lead or a rear leg kick to the knee? I presume it would depend on the range of the attacker.

You don't neccessarily have to fade back, but if you're not prepared for the attack, taking a step back as you block can help.

As for the kick to the knee, which leg you use depends on what kick you use. What kick you use depends on the range. If it's a front kick, you probably want to use the rear leg, as it's more powerful than the front and it won't take you any longer to kick. If you use a sidekick, you'll want to use your lead leg.

If the attacker starts from far enough away (i.e. he's a total moron and he's charging straight at you) I'd just throw a sidekick either to his torso or to his head. That should stop the whole fight pretty quickly.

Against a left lead uppercut? Probably something similar to what I posted above, probably without the blocks. It seems like you'd be better off fading or stepping back in that case.

OP
S

sweeper

slip - left and left pary to guide into right elbow (my elbow to his fist/hand) if we are outfighting, would follow up by a right pull on the his left hand (to my outside) and a left cross to his head. or with a right pull on his left hand (outside) and a sidekick to his knee/shin or to his ribs.

if infighting when he threw it I would probably slip left and try to cut off the angle with a straight palm strike (either landing on his arm or beating him to the strike and hitting him in the face. Following up by comming over the top with both arms and pushing him back if we are realy close or restraining the arm at the elbow and throwing a thrust kick to the hip/chest if we have enough room.

As you can probably see I like to fight on the outside :p

OP
M

Mormegil

Originally posted by sweeper
slip - left and left pary to guide into right elbow (my elbow to his fist/hand) if we are outfighting, would follow up by a right pull on the his left hand (to my outside) and a left cross to his head. or with a right pull on his left hand (outside) and a sidekick to his knee/shin or to his ribs.

Interesting. Would the right elbow be vertical or horizontal with the forearm covering your face? How would you transition to grab his left hand? Just grab it straight, or "ride" along his shoulder?

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Jester

I'd love to step in with a nice heavy left arm block and then go straight in with a right, hooking elbow across the jaw. Come straight back across with a reverse hooking elbow on the other side of their jaw and finish by dipping down and bringing the same elbow upwards striking the bottom of jaw.

What would other peoples favourite responses be?
pointing at something random and yelling, "Look!"

Then kicking him in the balls.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. Would the right elbow be vertical or horizontal with the forearm covering your face? How would you transition to grab his left hand? Just grab it straight, or "ride" along his shoulder?

Well, I'm not sure how sweeper will answer this or what his background is. But I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in here from my background in FMA.

The elbow could be vertical, horizontal, diagonal up, or diagonal down. Which I use would depend on where my right hand started. But I'd most likely use a horizontal, diagonal up, or vertical. To get to the other hand, I would then simply unfold and go to the hand, maybe taking an eye rake along the way depending on the range.

Mike

OP
M

Mormegil

Originally posted by pesilat
Well, I'm not sure how sweeper will answer this or what his background is. But I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in here from my background in FMA.

The elbow could be vertical, horizontal, diagonal up, or diagonal down. Which I use would depend on where my right hand started. But I'd most likely use a horizontal, diagonal up, or vertical. To get to the other hand, I would then simply unfold and go to the hand, maybe taking an eye rake along the way depending on the range.

Mike

If I went with a horizontal, I would most likely unfold to grab the Right arm, lop sao with a L punch and go back to my trusty straight arm bar and biset dalem.

I'm curious about Sweeper's technique, as I have difficulty imagining myself flowing to grab the Left arm from and almost outside position (due to the L slip to the outside), but that's just me.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I went with a horizontal, I would most likely unfold to grab the Right arm, lop sao with a L punch and go back to my trusty straight arm bar and biset dalem.

I'm curious about Sweeper's technique, as I have difficulty imagining myself flowing to grab the Left arm from and almost outside position (due to the L slip to the outside), but that's just me.

I would also generally grab the right arm. However, if the left hand is being fired then it may come into my line and become a better option.

Or, if there's an exit to the left of him, then getting his left hand might be useful (lap sao his left hand, then take a sapu dalam to his left foot as you exit).

Or, if I spot a weapon on his left hip, then getting control of his left hand will be useful in preventing him from drawing the weapon and might give me the opportunity to take his weapon for myself.

It's pretty situational as to what I would actually do, of course. But I can see possible reasons for both.

Mike

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

I'd prefer to watch the fist coming toward someone else, frankly, or to be several feet away from it if it's directed toward me. That said, I'd probably try to execute a circular (i.e. Inside/Center or Outside block in TKD terminology) block while sidestepping and pop off a roundhouse kick or a hook to the jaw. Add in whatever other techniques I want... but I like the simplicity of the kick more in that case. Especially since I can hit people that high. :grin:

OP
S

sweeper

sorry about that I wrote it out backwards, I would grab his right hand with my right, basicly a lop sao. And I would probably use a horizontal elbow, it feals more natural for me, but I would go with whatever's fastest, since I'm going to be moving around considering we are exchanging blows if my hands are closer together or my right is further inside I might go vertical or diagonal, but also because the parry and the slip are putting the punch on my outside right (relativly speaking) a horizaontal would be the most likely, or at leaste diagonal.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Front snap kick to the chin, solar plexus, groin, or knee, depending on the threat level. Works every time! The Surprise factor is key. You can throw one without getting into stance, and you can always feint with punches.

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
Front snap kick to the chin, solar plexus, groin, or knee, depending on the threat level. Works every time! The Surprise factor is key. You can throw one without getting into stance, and you can always feint with punches.

Yeah. That works well too.

OP
I

Infight

Easy! Baiana then: leglock, or omoplata or choke, all suit me

OP
A

Astra

For comical value, I'd definately like to try running up someone like he was a wall.. though I'm never going to try that for obvious reasons :(

Latest Discussions