Loosing the "spark" for training ...Help!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm posting this here, cause I do Korean martial arts, and I want to hear advice from my fellow Korean Martial Artists (nothing against anyone else, though).

Anyways, I think I'm loosing the spark for training again. Am I having doubts, or getting bored, or what is it? How do I get the spark back? I learned a lot about character in MA, but I think that's shot right now, too.

Also, check out my school http://www.usamastersacademy.com/ and tell me what ya think. I'm looking for honest opinions, no slamming. Thanks ;)

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Being that close to Black Belt and having these feelings could be one of two things. 1) Perhaps you are just over training (TKD & TSD) or Perhaps you are just affraid of reaching that BB level. You would not be the first to doubt themselves while being at the doorstep of their journeys goal. Only you can honestly sit down and have a talk with yourself...(one of the hardest things to do in life) and reach a conclusion. But take this knowledge with you........You have trained and changed things in your life, for the better I'm sure. Use the confidence that the training has instilled in you, to face whatever is causing your frustrations. If your totally honest with yourself, you'll find your answer.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Brad gave you the best advice you could give. The motivation for training needs to come from inside you. External forces should not play a big part in the decision. When it comes down to it, we can all tell you to do it or not, but in the end you have to make the decision and it won't be any easier, no matter what others have told you.

If you wanted to consult with anybody about this, I'd recommend your instructor, if that's not someone you feel comfortable talking with, that might be a part of your problem right there. I hope you don't regret your choice, no matter what it is. It's probably not what you wanted to hear, because usually when someone goes looking for advice it's to make the decision easier, but sometimes, no matter how much advice and help you get the decision doesn't get any easier. However, what we can do is support you and your decision. Best of luck to you.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Laurie:

This may not be exactly what you want to hear right now, but consider this for only a moment and then move on as you will. What I ask you to consider is that you have hit the point where the "real" training has finally begun.

There are people who train many years and motivate themselves by looking for the "next big thing". Their MA career is little more than moving from one trophy to the next, or one belt rank to the next. These are called "Reasons" for training because they are things from outside of the individual and when these go away, the motivation for training goes away.

Other people train for a "Purpose" and a "Purpose is something that is inside the person. Usually a Purpose is some fundamental change that a person desires to make in themselves.

There is a very good chance that up until this moment you may have been running on some Reason like "self-defense" or "novelty", or "short-term accomplishments". It sounds like those things have finally run their course, and now you have a chance to make a clear choice about whether there is something you want to change about the person who you are using your MA training as the method for making those changes. To be very honest with you, unless you engineer things some special way the chances of you using MA for the kind of heroic or survivalist reason the MA were invented are actually pretty slim. But the need to become a person greater than who you are right now will be with you your whole life. Now would be a great opportunity to see if you are ready to make some basic changes about the way you deal with Life using MA training for the things it can teach you about who you are. if you are looking for motivation I can't think of anything better than becoming a person greater than who you are right now. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laurie.
I too have experienced that lack of desire to train..Do what I did and take some time off..Get involved in something besides MA training, for me it was amature theatre..I became involved in a production and returned after 3 months and trained harder than I ever thought possible..Just my opinion..

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Hey all.

I'm posting this here, cause I do Korean martial arts, and I want to hear advice from my fellow Korean Martial Artists (nothing against anyone else, though).

Anyways, I think I'm loosing the spark for training again. Am I having doubts, or getting bored, or what is it? How do I get the spark back? I learned a lot about character in MA, but I think that's shot right now, too.

Also, check out my school http://www.usamastersacademy.com/ and tell me what ya think. I'm looking for honest opinions, no slamming. Thanks ;)
I've had my share of ups and downs in training, alot of times it's bordom or your not happy with the school ( no motivation ).

Try another school maybe?

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
Being that close to Black Belt and having these feelings could be one of two things. 1) Perhaps you are just over training (TKD & TSD) or Perhaps you are just affraid of reaching that BB level. You would not be the first to doubt themselves while being at the doorstep of their journeys goal. Only you can honestly sit down and have a talk with yourself...(one of the hardest things to do in life) and reach a conclusion.

I only train in TKD. I used to train in TSD before I moved. Anyways, I think you maybe on to something here. Maybe this is the reason and I just don't know it yet.

bignick said:
If you wanted to consult with anybody about this, I'd recommend your instructor, if that's not someone you feel comfortable talking with, that might be a part of your problem right there.

You hit that nail on the head ;)

glad2bhere said:
There is a very good chance that up until this moment you may have been running on some Reason like "self-defense" or "novelty", or "short-term accomplishments". It sounds like those things have finally run their course, and now you have a chance to make a clear choice about whether there is something you want to change about the person who you are using your MA training as the method for making those changes. To be very honest with you, unless you engineer things some special way the chances of you using MA for the kind of heroic or survivalist reason the MA were invented are actually pretty slim. But the need to become a person greater than who you are right now will be with you your whole life. Now would be a great opportunity to see if you are ready to make some basic changes about the way you deal with Life using MA training for the things it can teach you about who you are. if you are looking for motivation I can't think of anything better than becoming a person greater than who you are right now.

Sheesh! I think you hit the nail on the head! That sparked thoughts, that's for sure. It will definitely give me something to think about.

And I think the "time off" thing might help too. Thanks all for your advice.

K

Kempogeek

Hi Laurie. My sensei once told us that there comes a time in our training that "time off" is needed so that it doesn't become boring. Right now Im sort of in that situation. Mainly because of my job, working 3rd shift. It's been a couple of months since I last been to class although I do stay in touch with the school. Looks like I might have to extend my time off until the Fall as work doesn't look like it's going to slow down anytime soon. I still have the desire to return and will stay in training on my own. I hope that you will get the spark back again. Good luck!!! Best regards, Steve

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laurie, the best advice has already been given you - take a short time off (or as long as you feel you need to self-assess), examine your reasons and goals, and communicate with your instructor.

This is a point most people reach with everything, really. It's known as several other catchy phrases, i.e. writer's block, seven-year-itch, hit the wall, burned out, etcetera. You have reached a point in your training where it has become work, fun work, but still work. Alas, you must find reason to continue, re-ignite the flame.

If you take time off, don't do ANY martial arts AT ALL. Don't even practice what you know. Don't watch any martial arts films, read any MA books ... nothing.

I like Bruce's statement about being a better person than you are right now. This is a way of life, a way of being and doing. So look all ways at this crossroads and kick back a bit. When you just begin to feel the tug, resist, then see where it goes.

Go to a completely different school for a little while (different style, too). By being there, you might remember just what it is about your art that you like so much.

Hang in there, woman. Most of us have been there and through it. You will be through it too soon enough.

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can only tell what I did in the instant that my brain fade had set in. I couldn't remember any new techniques, I was beginning to get overwhelmed with all of the knowledge that I had accumulated and was having a hard time with focus. I found that reading books about the world and other things helped me refocus. I especially liked reading about ancient history. I was finding out about more and more that was out of my reach and that helped me realize that I needed to turn inward and find out more about me, since I am here and can work on myself everyday. Once the fog lifted, I was able once again to gain an understanding of new material and embrace the art I had chosen to utilize and help me find out more about myself than I ever could with out it. Hope all that made sense. Good luck to you.

Farang - Larry

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
This is a point most people reach with everything, really. It's known as several other catchy phrases, i.e. writer's block, seven-year-itch, hit the wall, burned out, etcetera. You have reached a point in your training where it has become work, fun work, but still work. Alas, you must find reason to continue, re-ignite the flame....

Yea, that is kinda what it feels like. I'm not burned out, but it's like I hit a brick wall, and having "whiter's block." I can't seem to remember some stuff, no matter how much I try. It's a bit frustrating.

shesulsa said:
Go to a completely different school for a little while (different style, too). By being there, you might remember just what it is about your art that you like so much.

I was seriously thinking about this. Not quitting here, but do something to re-ignite my passion for training. Like take up Judo again or something, just to try something different for a while.

I can't take time off, though. My boyfriend is testing for BB in three weeks. He wants me to coach him since I have trained longer. I can't let him down.

But all your advice really helps. Thanks all :)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did it for me...imagine everyone, including your husband telling you should quit...imagine your instructor hating you, but not expelling you... well, as the saying goes, the tough get going.

Laurie, do you have what it takes, do you know what you need to train on, focus on, devote more time to? Is your goal a black belt and or a way of life? Are you doing it for you or for someone else?

So I tell you without any ill will... you can't get your black belt. What!!!!

Now, go prove me wrong and spark that spark and do it girl! TW

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
What did it for me...imagine everyone, including your husband telling you should quit...imagine your instructor hating you, but not expelling you... well, as the saying goes, the tough get going.

Laurie, do you have what it takes, do you know what you need to train on, focus on, devote more time to? Is your goal a black belt and or a way of life? Are you doing it for you or for someone else?

So I tell you without any ill will... you can't get your black belt. What!!!!

Now, go prove me wrong and spark that spark and do it girl! TW

I think he does hate me LOL. Na, he is just "razzing me."

Yes, actually there is stuff I need work on. My forms are getting a bit sloppy, and my new form is tuff. It is giving me a hell of a time to learn.

You know ... My goal was black belt for the most part. But since I posted this thread, I did some heavy thinking. I decided to make changes for the better. Be a better person (like Bruce explained), and healthier. So I think the "way of life" explains my new change. I don't only want to wear a BB when I get it, I want to BE a BB mentally and physically. I have a lot to work on, though. Wish me luck ;)

A

Andy Cap

It sounds like you are starting to learn the "Do" To get cheesy and cliche' for a moment...Martial arts is not about the goal - it is about the journey to the goal.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andy Cap said:
It sounds like you are starting to learn the "Do" To get cheesy and cliche' for a moment...Martial arts is not about the goal - it is about the journey to the goal.

My honey said that to me the other day ..... not in those words though. He said, " You're finally "getting" it (he slaps himself in the head)." Meaning, I am finally getting the mental stuff down. LOL

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So in 3-weeks take a break.

Everyone needs to take a break once and a while.

Most sports have seasons, we don't. But as important as the season is to other sports, the off season is still important.

Take some time, don't set a time limit, just stop training until you want it again, and if that time never comes it never comes, maybe you'll end up in something else.

But don't think "I can't quit cause I'm this close". Thats doing it for the wrong reasons, and is not going to help you in the long run. It's also lossing to that whole "back belt" marketing scheme ;)

F

floweringknight

Reminds me of an old saying: "When the student is ready, the master will appear!" Always keep in the back of your mind the BIG PICTURE. It will help to guide you in times of uncertainty. I wish you the best of luck (and your man too)!

B

Basicman

Your doing this to make yourself a better person. This is part of the training. Swords are forged in fire and it takes a lot of work to make a good one. You'll be stronger and a better person after taking a break, and you can come back mentally with a fresh approach.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not TKD or TSD but in Kenpo I find that when I go to a seminar I come back energized and excited again. There's something about spending time with students and instructors from other schools which I find energizing.

Jeff