looking into law enforcement

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If possible stay away from departments that will take anyone. Usually a reason for that.

Check around to se what agencies have good retention. Cops throughout the state usually know what departments are shat.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If possible stay away from departments that will take anyone. Usually a reason for that.

Check around to se what agencies have good retention. Cops throughout the state usually know what departments are shat.

That is true. But a start in the police field, and possibly without putting out 2 years of the OP's life and the expense of funding his own police training, with no guarantee of employment.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is true. But a start in the police field, and possibly without putting out 2 years of the OP's life and the expense of funding his own police training, with no guarantee of employment.
There are agencies that are "training agencies" to give them a name... They hire people, train them, and then they end up turning people over because of pay, lack of opportunity, scheduling... whatever, they don't retain many people. But they've got a decent reputation as seen in their people moving on...

Then there are "last resort" agencies, that have "special" hiring criteria... like if you're good enough to not quite get fired by someone else, or if you've not quite got a felony record... in short, they'll hire you if they squint enough to see you as qualified. Those aren't the places you want to work.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then there are "last resort" agencies, that have "special" hiring criteria... like if you're good enough to not quite get fired by someone else, or if you've not quite got a felony record... in short, they'll hire you if they squint enough to see you as qualified. Those aren't the places you want to work.

Exactly

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Law Enforcement, at least here in the U.S., used to be a rewarding and noble career. I find that to have changed over my years, probably due to the complexities of life and the legal system, and maybe to the ever changing population of our country. It's not something I'd recommend to anyone any more. At least not to anyone I actually care about.

If I had a "do over" preparing for current America, I'd want to have four children. Three of whom I'd teach to be white collar criminals, and the fourth to be an attorney to defend them.

You do realize I'm kidding, of course.
I mean, who would want a lawyer as a kid?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't tell my son anything about my job because I don't want him growing up wanting to be a cop as well.