Looking for written sources on TKD

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Asking here rather than hijack a thread:
I know that "A Killing Art" is available widely.
Where can I get Gen. Choi's Encyclopedia? Preferably separate volumes.
What early texts are available on the KKW side?
Any others from ITF?
Any other recommended readings that are more authoritative than speculative?

Thanks,
Carl

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
What early texts are available on the KKW side?
Any other recommended readings that are more authoritative than speculative?

I don't know if you'll get completely authoritative sources (as there are differences in opinions on the facts/circumstances).

Early text from the Kukkiwon:

Taekwondo Poomse (1975) ISBN 1199312398

Recent textbook from the Kukkiwon:

Taekwondo Textbook (2006) ISBN13 978-89-7336-750-4

History of Kukki-Taekwondo:

A Modern History of Taekwondo 1999 (Korean) Kyong Myung Lee and Kang Won Sik ISBN13 89-358-0124-0 (I have an English translation PDF if you want a copy).

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
These are all from the ITF side:

I believe that you can get Gen. Choi's 15 vol. Encyclopedia of Taekwon-Do and the single volume version from www.taekwondotimes.com (I have never seen any way to purchase individual volumes of the 15 volume set).

You should also check out Taekwon-Do: A Guide to the Theories of Defensive Movement by Mark McCarthy and George R. Parluski. It's out of print but available on amazon.

Master Jim Hogan has two books that are worthwhile reads: Effective Taekwon-Do Sparring and and Taekwon-Do Patterns: From Beginner to Black Belt.

The best resource I have seen on patterns, bar none, is a DVD produced by Grand Master Choi, Jung Hwa (ITF Master Class DVD) available at: http://www.treniconline.com/detail.asp?c_urn=183&show=allpgno2&urn=3108&pg=2 It covers the first 9 patterns in detail with GM Choi giving personal instruction on each pattern.

There is also a DVD series put out by the Japanese ITF that covers the patterns up to 3rd dan. You can purchase it here: http://taekwondotimes.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=49

Lastly, there is the Legacy CD-Rom that was put out in 1997 that includes video of all 24 patterns, a scan of the first edition of the Encyclopedia, .wav clips of a lot of Korean terminology spoken by GM Choi, Jung Hwa and interviews with Gen. Choi which can be bought here: https://ssl118.alentus.com/comdo/catalogue.aspx This includes ore materialthan the Master Class DVD, of course, but without the commentary on the patterns.

Hope this informaiton helps.

Pax,

Chris

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. I recognize that there's not one authoritative source. I suspect that there have always been factions and politics, regardless of art or nation. I think the stories all need to be taken with a grain of salt rather than taken as gospel. I'm interested as much in the times and techniques--the forge from which the art emerged. I figure it's not the same now as it was then, and I'm curious what differences I can identify.

I suppose it's the same as knowing more about my great-grandfather. Knowing about him doesn't define me, but may shed some light on what has contributed to who and where I am now.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your looking for technical stuff you will olose your mind reviewing various versions. Stick with any official version from the KKW or General Choi.

If you are looking foer smaller sysems like Moo Duk Kwan than seek out works from the foundeers of those systems as well.

For history, most anything will have inaccuracies. But better stuff will be more specific as far as names, dates and places. That is an area the "A Killing Art" shines in.

General Choi wrote 2 volume set "Taekwon-Do and I"
http://www.taekwondotimes.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=236

This chronicles some of his early life before and into the 1930's as well as conscription into the Japanese army, being sentenced to death and development of TKD. It has hundreds if not thousdands of specific names, dates, places, and dozens of photographs.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have some of Hee Il Cho's books, and I find them useful. The Complete Master's Kick is essential for anyone that wants to develop great technique. Once I lose enough weight to get decently off the ground I'll pick up his book on jumping kicks.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can get early editions of the KKW textbook from Sangmoosa.com
1(800) 346-3116. I get my equipment for my dojang there. When I bought my latest copy of the KKW textbook, a few years ago, the said they had editions of the textbook going back to the first one in 1975. Hopefully, they still have a few. Ask for Kate.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
" A killing art" is heresay with a rare fact thrown in to keep people interested.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
" A killing art" is heresay with a rare fact thrown in to keep people interested.

Yep, goes along with all that other heresy like the earth is round and revolves around the sun.

Then again, not sure if you meant heresy or hearsay. Either way.............

Bridge

White Belt
Reaction score
I might buy A Killing Art just to see what all the fuss is about.

It's worth picking up in my opinion. I read it last weekend and passed it to my son who's reading it now and really enjoying it. Just like TKD everybody will get something different from it.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you are looking to study history of TKD I would also recommend that you find good books on Korean history as well. This will help you weed out propoganda and mistruths that have spewed from both sides of the fence.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey East Lansing guy, what about the book do you not like?
What in it is incorrect?
Can you provide any counter points to back up any claims that you say the investigative journalist author got wrong?
This would be most helpful to readers here & I would no doubt that the author Mr Alex Gillis would be most welcome to any verifiable facts that you may add, especially if it corrects what you think he got wrong.
TKD's history is both confusing & vague. The story of its complicated development has been manipulated by many entities for various reasons. I for one am impressed with this well documented work with dozens of references & hundreds of footnotes. The author Mr Gillis states that he had at least 2 sources for his contentions.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gee, I must be sick because I have all those books. :) The Killing Art is good if you are an ITF person, not so good if you are not. The author tends to write in the style of a conspiracy theorist.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Killing Art is good if you are an ITF person, not so good if you are not. The author tends to write in the style of a conspiracy theorist.
See to me, one can not really or more fully understand TKD's history until you start to grasp the nasty politics. It is not a conspiracy, it is what happened. It clearly goes into the accurate history of how Gen choi's TKD was developed & very clearly points out the political problems & underlying interference & reasons for it, which is needed to understand the controversies. I would much rather, from an intellectual discussion standpoint have you provide the readers with why you think it is "not so good" if you are not "an ITF person".
History to me is what happened, who made it happen, where & when it did it happen.
What did you find that you think, feel or know it not correct & why?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
See to me, one can not really or more fully understand TKD's history until you start to grasp the nasty politics. It is not a conspiracy, it is what happened. It clearly goes into the accurate history of how Gen choi's TKD was developed & very clearly points out the political problems & underlying interference & reasons for it, which is needed to understand the controversies. I would much rather, from an intellectual discussion standpoint have you provide the readers with why you think it is "not so good" if you are not "an ITF person".
History to me is what happened, who made it happen, where & when it did it happen.
What did you find that you think, feel or know it not correct & why?

There are numerous inaccuracies in fact and the way he draws conclusions. He makes Taekwondo to be a seedy dirty thing, which is not how I view Taekwondo at all. To me, taekwondo is a beautiful creation, something that uplifts the spirit. Mr. gillies isn't into that. It's tiring and draining to read that book, just like it is tiring and draining to read general choi's autobiography.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are numerous inaccuracies in fact and the way he draws conclusions. He makes Taekwondo to be a seedy dirty thing, which is not how I view Taekwondo at all. To me, taekwondo is a beautiful creation, something that uplifts the spirit. Mr. gillies isn't into that. It's tiring and draining to read that book, just like it is tiring and draining to read general choi's autobiography.
I think he loves TKD & feels that it has been dirtied by the nasty politics which upsets & applauds him, especially given the 5 Tenets of TKD & the supposed emphasis on moral character development. He is shocked at the do as I say, not do as I do attitude of TKD leaders.
I am sorry that you find it tiring & draining. Forgive me but it seems a bit partisan to me.
Also I am disappointed that you did not offer 1 single example of the numerous inaccuracies that you claim he makes & why you don't agree with conclusions he makes.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think he loves TKD & feels that it has been dirtied by the nasty politics which upsets & applauds him, especially given the 5 Tenets of TKD & the supposed emphasis on moral character development. He is shocked at the do as I say, not do as I do attitude of TKD leaders.
I am sorry that you find it tiring & draining. Forgive me but it seems a bit partisan to me.
Also I am disappointed that you did not offer 1 single example of the numerous inaccuracies that you claim he makes & why you don't agree with conclusions he makes.

It talks about GM NAM Tae Hi for example starting training when he was 18 at the Chung Do Kwan, which GM Lee and other Chung Do Kwan seniors said wasn't true. That sort of thing. He quotes from the Modern History, and my name is in there, so I actually contributed to his work. It's late and I am tired to go open that thing up and try to contradict what he wrote. If you want to believe what he wrote, then go ahead. I'm really not interested, even though I do have the book sitting on my itf dedicated bookcase.

Latest Discussions