Looking for some Self-defense and Martial Arts Assumptions

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't forget the infamous Dim Mak, the Touch Of Death.

You know what. I actually did forget about that. The touch of death. There is also an assumption about pressure point fighting as well but I don't know how to word it at the moment. The assumption that I'm talking about is the one where people think hitting a pressure point is going to be easy when someone is trying to knock your head off.

I am amazed at guys like you! I have used the Dim Mak several times over the years. It works!!!

Now you may look at those I used it on and say, "But they are still alive." I assure you they are dying, however slowly.

:) :p

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know what. I actually did forget about that. The touch of death. There is also an assumption about pressure point fighting as well but I don't know how to word it at the moment. The assumption that I'm talking about is the one where people think hitting a pressure point is going to be easy when someone is trying to knock your head off.

Which pressure point at what point in a fight?

If you throw a side kick, I would be foolish to try and strike your zygomatic arch over that kick, and probably wouldn't do it from slipping around the outside. There are better options.

But if I step back slightly and strike downward on the pressure point just above your ankle just as you reach full extension, it will do you no good and me no harm.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you throw a side kick, I would be foolish to try and strike your zygomatic arch over that kick, and probably wouldn't do it from slipping around the outside. There are better options.

But if I step back slightly and strike downward on the pressure point just above your ankle just as you reach full extension, it will do you no good and me no harm.
He didn't say there would be any harm in trying for it - just that it's not easy to (reliably) hit them in the chaos of a fight. I purposely adjust some blocks and grips to allow the opportunity to activate pressure points. I just assume I won't get them, so make the blocks and grips valid without them. The times I actually make that connection, it's just a nice bonus.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That a smaller person with skill will always beat a larger person.
The myth tends to revolve around the idea that a smaller person has more skill potential than a larger person. As if it's an RPG and you can sink points into "size" or "skill" but not get high levels of both.

That you have to be in peak physical shape to understand and teach martial arts.
Especially for someone who started or come back later in life as a way to get back into shape, or who has had injuries and such which limit your physical activity. Or, like me, someone who spends so much time working there isn't time to work out.

That someone who is not in peak physical shape cannot perform martial arts.
We have a guy at my Taekwondo school who, when drilling, can barely kick above his belt, due to age and injury. When sparring him, he's nailed me in the head a couple times.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
He didn't say there would be any harm in trying for it - just that it's not easy to (reliably) hit them in the chaos of a fight. I purposely adjust some blocks and grips to allow the opportunity to activate pressure points. I just assume I won't get them, so make the blocks and grips valid without them. The times I actually make that connection, it's just a nice bonus.

Fair enough. I just took that as the implication. I look forward to him figuring out how he wants to word it and posting that. One other thing I would point out is that in the Hapkido I learned, we can strike or just put pressure on many pressure points. But it isn't our normal type of defense. Just there when appropriate.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know I am new here ...however from my stand point there are many many many myths and misconceptions with self defense ...when I did teach that to any classes (not that I did very often and only if I was really pushed to ) my first line was best self defense system use your head and don't be there ...ie run fast and get outta it ...I know that in many ways that is very very controversial but in my view it is the best advice ... I back that up by saying that if and unless you are and have been studying any of the arts so that they become like second nature ...in a high stress situation it will be very unlikely that when the fight or flight response kicks in you will be able to actually "perform" as it were ....sorry that may not make sense ...I am no expert writer

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know that in many ways that is very very controversial

I'm not so sure you'll find it very controversial at all here.

Self defence part one is situational awareness and not being there. The actual fighting part is last resort.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not so sure you'll find it very controversial at all here.

Self defence part one is situational awareness and not being there. The actual fighting part is last resort.

I'm glad to hear that as there are so many that seek some magical "way" of defeating and defending and in truth the magic "way" is to not be there lol...ie leg it ...ok

I am so glad to hear what you said about last resort

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The thing is the attacker was standing right in front of him enraged but calculated his body language was shouting but the mma fighter didn't understand the language. And that is what many of us are saying is a part of self defense. He is a very good fighter but self defense wise he was lacking. There is more to self defense than being able to fight.

If people think you can calculate the difference between an angry guy and a violent guy.

And that you can see punches coming at speed.

That is a couple of misconceptions right there.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now you may look at those I used it on and say, "But they are still alive." I assure you they are dying, however slowly.
The only thing close to this that I've experience was being kicked in the balls, falling to the floor, and rolling on the ground as if I was dying lol.

It wouldn't matter, all of them are difficult to get to in the heat of a fight which is why we don't see fighters exploiting them. Some places are easier to reach than others.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well they found your pressure point then lol... I'd suggest that you have learned a golden rule .................lol

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Reminds me of a bit on Enter the Dojo, where the 100% lethal technique that one of the students came up with: I befriend him and wait for him to die of old age.

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Reminds me of a bit on Enter the Dojo, where the 100% lethal technique that one of the students came up with: I befriend him and wait for him to die of old age.

lol...ssuming you don't buy the farm first lol

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He didn't say there would be any harm in trying for it - just that it's not easy to (reliably) hit them in the chaos of a fight. I purposely adjust some blocks and grips to allow the opportunity to activate pressure points.
correct.

The times I actually make that connection, it's just a nice bonus.
And you don't have to take any additional risk to get the bonus. It's a win win

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are no shortcuts... There is no "secret" system you can learn from a 90 minute video that will make you ready to handle the bad guy on the street, no matter how much it costs. There is no "ultimate" technique to "instantly" end all fights. This system won't make you proficient in fighting, without you putting in a lot of time and work... most of it involving sweat and a few bumps and bruises.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two misconceptions, one that bad guys can fight to a good standard, they are no more likely to be good fighters than good guys,

Two that technique over come fitness, it may do, it most probably will not

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
bad guys can fight to a good standard, they are no more likely to be good fighters than good guys,

What they're more likely to do though is be prepared to cause damage and walk away without thinking about it - that's the fighting edge they may have.

Latest Discussions