looking for some info.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello forum, first post here. I was perusing the internet for something specific, and that would be someone more knowledgeable than wikipedia regarding lineages!

Ok, here's the short version. In the early 90s I lived on a small island, not much to do, when a guy started putting on wing chun classes at the local agricultural hall. He was very skilled, and he was learning from someone on Vancouver Island as far as I know. I did it for about 5 years before I ended up moving.

Fast forward to now. I've never forgotten my sui lim tau, and recently I've gotten back into practicing on my own. Recently I got curious as to just what lineage of wing chun I have learned, because I sure don't remember, if I ever knew. Insofar as I was concerned I was learning wing chun and didn't think much more about what style it was.

So I think to myself, an easy way would be to see which version of sui lim tau matches the one I know. So i research the googles for different lineages, and find videos of people of those lineages doing their little idea. Sure enough none of them look much like what I am doing. My first though was fake wing chun, but Bruce was masterful with his movements and there's no way to really ******** the sorts of things I learned, at least not easily, so I am convinced it is real wing chun. Plus in the early 90s there wasn't really any of that going around, there was no internet really, no youtube, and outside of magazines no real cross style mixing or publicity.

I could make of video of my sui lim tau if it's worthwhile (ie anyone here fancies themselves an expert) but I didn't want to do it for nothing. It's just a bug eating at my brain id like to solve..this wingchun had to come from SOMEWHERE

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello forum, first post here. I was perusing the internet for something specific, and that would be someone more knowledgeable than wikipedia regarding lineages!

Ok, here's the short version. In the early 90s I lived on a small island, not much to do, when a guy started putting on wing chun classes at the local agricultural hall. He was very skilled, and he was learning from someone on Vancouver Island as far as I know. I did it for about 5 years before I ended up moving.

Fast forward to now. I've never forgotten my sui lim tau, and recently I've gotten back into practicing on my own. Recently I got curious as to just what lineage of wing chun I have learned, because I sure don't remember, if I ever knew. Insofar as I was concerned I was learning wing chun and didn't think much more about what style it was.

So I think to myself, an easy way would be to see which version of sui lim tau matches the one I know. So i research the googles for different lineages, and find videos of people of those lineages doing their little idea. Sure enough none of them look much like what I am doing. My first though was fake wing chun, but Bruce was masterful with his movements and there's no way to really ******** the sorts of things I learned, at least not easily, so I am convinced it is real wing chun. Plus in the early 90s there wasn't really any of that going around, there was no internet really, no youtube, and outside of magazines no real cross style mixing or publicity.

I could make of video of my sui lim tau if it's worthwhile (ie anyone here fancies themselves an expert) but I didn't want to do it for nothing. It's just a bug eating at my brain id like to solve..this wingchun had to come from SOMEWHERE

Yeah dude, film your SLT and post it. This forum has a wide lineage and experience base...most likely one of us can assist you.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Ok, here's the short version. In the early 90s I lived on a small island, not much to do, when a guy started putting on wing chun classes at the local agricultural hall. He was very skilled, and he was learning from someone on Vancouver Island as far as I know.

Maybe I missed it, but what Island did you live on?

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah dude, film your SLT and post it. This forum has a wide lineage and experience base...most likely one of us can assist you.
Ok, will do, tonight or Saturday.

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe I missed it, but what Island did you live on?

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have heard of it, it's one of the southern gulf islands off the west coast of Canada. I'll expound upon that more if it becomes relevant(ie if it comes to light someone might know one of the relevant parties)

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys. I hope we can get to the bottom of this so the next time someone asks about my wing Chun I won't look retarded.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, bro.

Lot of knowledge WC guys here. They'll help you out. Good luck.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, here it is. Kinda sloppy compared to when I was training back then, but hopefully you get the idea.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
The lack of reply is a bit disheartening. I'm certainly no Yip Man...but surely these movements must be recognizable to someone.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The lack of reply is a bit disheartening. I'm certainly no Yip Man...but surely these movements must be recognizable to someone.

Sorry bro. Been a busy day.
Many elements of your form seem to have a distinct Yip Man flavor. Though, the angle or height of the camera makes it difficult to see clearly.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ya, it's not the best video, cant really see the feet or stance, I guess i was just hoping the sequence of hand movements would be enough to spark someones memory, have and 'oh ya its this' moment, and I could go on my way with some new info, or a new direction to research in, or something. Hopefully that still happens, I'll just wait :)

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Certainly a Ip Man Wing Chun version. Hard to say which branch. Nothing particularly different. The extra movement after the Tan/Gan movement of the 2nd second section is likely a signature move for whichever Ip Man branch this is. But I can't say whose.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's Friday night. Things are typically a lot slower. I'd comment, but I'm not a WC guy, so I have no idea.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What I can tell you:

Yip Man Lineage, probably a student from the early 50's, given the Tan-Chum-Tan, instead of the Tan-Gan-Tan which was introduced in the late 50's. Looks like Lok Yiu's stuff. Honestly given that you only learned SLT, any Yip Man school would be good.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks. Yip man uses some different movements in his little idea, so it must have split off somewhere. As the bulk of what we have now seems to go back to yip man I'd like to get a little more specific, but you've certainly given me a clue regarding what it's not. Thank you.

Edit - I will research Lok Yiu

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, there isn't much out there on Lok Yiu, no videos of anyone of his lineage I can find. Makes sense if that is the case, since I've been coming up empty so far.

Wing Chun Auckland

Green Belt
Reaction score
So the jut/jum sau part after the tan/gan part can narrow it down some. Yep, agree its Yip Man. This is not Chu Shong Tin. But I know WSL guys have that part of the form. Not Austine Fong. Not Leung TIng. Out of all the forms I have seen, it looks the most like WSL style.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
My friend it had been less than 2 hours since you posted the video. People don't sit on this forum all day. Remember not everyone here is wing chun either. I've posted stuff before and not had any replies until weeks or months later

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
My friend it had been less than 2 hours since you posted the video. People don't sit on this forum all day. Remember not everyone here is wing chun either. I've posted stuff before and not had any replies until weeks or months later
This is true, but keep in mind, for a fruitfly this is a lifetime.
:cat:

I overestimated the activity of this place I guess, but the results so far haven't been terrible. I'm certainly closer to learning the answer to this question than I was yesterday.

Wing Chun Auckland

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is true, but keep in mind, for a fruitfly this is a lifetime.
:cat:

I overestimated the activity of this place I guess, but the results so far haven't been terrible. I'm certainly closer to learning the answer to this question than I was yesterday.

I think there are several yip man lineages that do the form like that. What would be more telling is how you do your application or chi sao. Or if you could post a clip of someone who does chi sao the most like you were taught. Also check the various facebook wing chun forums. They have huge followings.

Latest Discussions