Looking for online Yang Taiji Sword Demo

chi-ca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just watched the video posted here and noticed that it is not complete. I am wondering if anyone is aware of a good online demonstration of Yang taiji sword.

Thanks,
Chi-ca

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did ya try YouTube???

OP
C

chi-ca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Xue Sheng,

By sword I mean jian.

Drac: No, I haven't looked at YouTube but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,

Chi-ca

OP
C

chi-ca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm learning the form in class but I find I'm a slow learner and could use some assistance.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Then be careful of any video you get whether on YouTube of in a store. There are variations and those could cause some confusion.

The Traditional Yang Jain I do is form Tung Ying Chieh and it does look a bit different form what I see the Yang family do today and if you are looking at a Yang Jain form that is from Cheng Manching then you get something different still and then there is a competition Yang Jian form out there that is again different.

Videos can be helpful as a supplement to training as long as you find the right one

OP
C

chi-ca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I see your point. I looked at a number of pieces on YouTube but haven't found the right form. However, it's wonderful to watch all of the variations.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
chi-ca,

Here is the sword (Jian) form as done by Yang Jun (Great Grandson of Yang Cheng-fu). It is Traditional Yang family Jian form. The form as transmitted by the Yang family today.

If this is not the form you are doing, then you are probably studying one of the many variations that are around.

Very best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

chi-ca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks East Winds,

That looks like the right form but I think there are some chunks that were left on the cutting room floor. I'll search Yang Jun and see if there is a more complete version. I appreciate the help!

Chi-ca

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
chi-ca,

Here is the sword (Jian) form as done by Yang Jun (Great Grandson of Yang Cheng-fu). It is Traditional Yang family Jian form. The form as transmitted by the Yang family today.

If this is not the form you are doing, then you are probably studying one of the many variations that are around.

Very best wishes

That looks familiar :D

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
chi-ca,

Here is the whole form performed by Yang Zhenduo (3rd son of Yang Cheng-fu and Grandfather of Yang Jun).

Very best wishes

Xue Sheng,

Still the butcher then?:rofl:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
chi-ca,

Here is the whole form performed by Yang Zhenduo (3rd son of Yang Cheng-fu and Grandfather of Yang Jun).

Very best wishes

Xue Sheng,

Still the butcher then?:rofl:

Still the butcher and proud of it, and I am in good company, the Dao was favored by Tung Hu Ling too :D

That video of Zhendou is interesting. In places it is exactly the same as it comes from Tung Ying Chieh and in others it is entirely different. I will have to forward that to my Sifu. Thanks for the link :asian:

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

Yes, I learned the form as it was transmitted by Yang Zhen Ji (the second son of Yang Cheng-fu) and there are some differences in the way some of the postures are executed from what Zhen Duo does. (The sequence is exactly the same).

Here is Fu Zhong Wen doing the form. This is closer to Zhen Ji's form than it is to Zhen Duo's form. The main difference from Zhen Ji's form is the speed of execution.

Very best wishes