Looking for new school in Lakewood Colorado area?

MADENVER

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have years of experience but am looking for a new school in the Lakewood CO area.

What I look for:

An interesting style.
No contracts.
A lot of aerobic in each class.
Light fun sparring maybe once a week.
An upbeat teacher that leaves me feeling better when I leave, than when I came in all stressed out from my day.
Won't bust the budget.

If any of you are in my area, I'd appreciate positive suggestions.

Thanks!

MADENVER

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure about exactly where you are, but google leads me to believe Lakewood is a part of Denver.

Check out Enshin Karate, honbu (headquarters) dojo. Joko Ninomiya is a karate legend. I've always wanted to check out Enshin karate, it there's nothing in my area. Enshin comes from Kyokushin and also uses judo throws.

However, I don't think it'll be "light fun sparring once a week."

The only way to know if a dojo is right for you is to go visit. Websites are misleading, and people's opinions are only opinions. You've got to be the judge of if the dojo is good or not.

That said, Enshin is no-nonsense...
Home - Enshin Karate

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have years of experience but am looking for a new school in the Lakewood CO area.

What I look for:

An interesting style.
No contracts.
A lot of aerobic in each class.
Light fun sparring maybe once a week.
An upbeat teacher that leaves me feeling better when I leave, than when I came in all stressed out from my day.
Won't bust the budget.

If any of you are in my area, I'd appreciate positive suggestions.

Thanks!

MADENVER

Welcome to MT! Back in the late 1980s, I trained briefly at Denwa Kan Karate (Wado-Ryu) in Lakewood. I see from their website it has changed a lot; it was a dark industrial building with cement floors when I trained there, but it looks quite modern now.

Karate Denver

I recall the training as being very good and authentic Wado-Ryu karate. You may wish to check it out.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Looking forward to your input.

Hope you find what you like in Lakewood or even close.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Looking forward to your input.

Hope you find what you like in Lakewood or even close.

Lakewood is a western suburb of Denver, so there is lots available in all directions. I grew up in Lakewood and Golden, graduated from Golden Sr High in 79 and Red Rocks Community College in 90. Short break in between serving Uncle Sugar.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! Back in the late 1980s, I trained briefly at Denwa Kan Karate (Wado-Ryu) in Lakewood. I see from their website it has changed a lot; it was a dark industrial building with cement floors when I trained there, but it looks quite modern now.

Karate Denver

I recall the training as being very good and authentic Wado-Ryu karate. You may wish to check it out.

So you were doing the best style at one time! :D

I like the look of the place in your link, the website doesn't scream at you, it's tasteful and polite. It makes a very good impression, I would definitely go there.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So you were doing the best style at one time! :D

I like the look of the place in your link, the website doesn't scream at you, it's tasteful and polite. It makes a very good impression, I would definitely go there.

I only trained there for a few months and quit - typical new student. It wasn't until decades later that I started training in earnest and have been training for 10 years since then.

OP
M

MADENVER

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not sure about exactly where you are, but google leads me to believe Lakewood is a part of Denver.

Check out Enshin Karate, honbu (headquarters) dojo. Joko Ninomiya is a karate legend. I've always wanted to check out Enshin karate, it there's nothing in my area. Enshin comes from Kyokushin and also uses judo throws.

However, I don't think it'll be "light fun sparring once a week."

The only way to know if a dojo is right for you is to go visit. Websites are misleading, and people's opinions are only opinions. You've got to be the judge of if the dojo is good or not.

That said, Enshin is no-nonsense...
Home - Enshin Karate

Thanks. Yes, Lakewood is west Denver.