Looking for my 5yrs old daughter...

OP
K

Knifehand

I would suggest any traditional style. Tang Soo Doo (traditional is a big point here) is a great style for the younger ones... i have a lot of younger kids in my class, and if they have a little discipline, they can learn a lot. Plus its fun, inviting, and a great way to bond with you, the parents.

I did a research people on why people went to TSD classes. a Majority (95-99%) said, to spend more time with family, but it is also a competive enough to stay engaged in.

Tang Soo Do is an art form and a style of self defense... and they teach really good self defense techniques for the younger ones.

I think Tang Soo Do will be your safest bet...

OP
M

MissTwisties

Well it looks like she's gonna go for Taekwondo. I was able to drag my husband yesterday to a school here in Springfield. It is the Master Choi's World Taekwondo school. The master is from Korea, he's been doing martial arts since a little kid and came to USA a little over 20 years ago. I believe he went to the olympics. They go on competition. The only thing that makes me a little uncomfortable is that they seem very serious. The woman who was giving classes yesterday was barely smiling. I think it is important to smile when you're teaching young children. They charge $75/month including the uniform. She can go up to 3 times a week. I'm gonna go visit another school today, just to make sure.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
MissTwisties said:
Actually, it was the Springfield Music conservatory who told me this. Also, two other schools, one of them being guitar learning specific, told me the same thing. They all told me that a child that age have hands too small to handle a guitar because of it's size not fit for their little hands. They also told me a child that age is just starting learning school stuff and that usually, they are too young to read and comprehend music books and such. THey told me children that age usually start by being introduced to music with singing, dancing, movements, playing easier instruments such as little drums and what not (they have programs specific for that)...I don't know...after hearing about this, I turned around and look elsewhere, hence, martial arts...good physical activity for her...lol

The thing that pisses me off is that she have a great voice and really love music and I was looking forward for her to get into some music/singing classes, now I'm disapointed with the comments I've got from those people.

First off..Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay!

Reading over the past few posts, it seems that you are very interested in getting your daughter involved in some sort of activity. I notice in the above post that the people at the music school seemed to have disheartened you slightly. One thing that this school was doing, IMO, was being honest with you. I have taught many classes with various ages, and I have to say that the ones that contain children ages 4,5, 6, etc. are difficult to teach. Its hard to make a child, at that young age, understand fully what they are doing. The class turns more into a babysitting class, rather than a learning class. It sounds like the people at the music school did not want to see you put out money if your child was not going to be getting much out of it.

As for the Martial Arts..one thing that is important IMO, is to make sure that you, your husband and your child are going to be happy there. Checking out a few different schools, watching some classes, talking to the inst., students and other parents, is key to making sure that you're going to be happy.

Please don't take anything I've said as being negative. I've seen many parents enroll their kids in classes, sit there class after class, watching their child either progress very slow or not at all, and then end up leaving after 'X' number of months. I feel that its a good thing to get children involved in activities, but its also important to make sure that everyones best interest comes first.

Good luck and please let us know how things go!

Mike

OP
M

MissTwisties

I would never have my daughter stay somewhere where she's not happy or if she feels uncomfortable with the instructor. As for music, yes I do believe she might be too young also...she's kinda of acting like a little "baby girl" still...at least with me. lol She is very good in school tho, always listen to her teacher and she is an angel, as the teacher put it...not like that at home tho...haha..

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What is the best training for your daughter? Have you thought of Judo? Why? because the physcial contact helps them have a good workout and burns their energy up. Most kids enjoy the training of Judo.

It is recommended by alot of martials artist (me and I ), that start your kids in Judo first, than move on to the other arts. This is my opinion! Kids love the physcial contact of the throws.

At my sons Judo school, there is a parent who sent their two daughters to a college far away from home, because they were Black Belts in Judo, they were not worry. Anyone that grabs them the wrong way will be thrown.

Judo is one the best ways to start young children in the martial arts. 5 years and up. ........Aloha

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At her age, it is best to put her in a traditional karate program.
She will learn mostly sport oriented things no matter where she goes.
In a traditional style she is most likely to learn discipline and respect. As she gets old she will start to understand more and be taught more effective street self defense.
Don't worry about weapons yet. There will be plenty of oppertunity later on.

OP
M

MissTwisties

Ok, good news, I did register my little 5 yrs old daughter tonight in a Taekwondo academy (US Academy of Martial Arts, East Longmeadow MA). She got her uniform yesterday, she look soooo cute in it!! :D Today is her first day at school, for half an hour. It's gonna be fun to watch her!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MissTwisties said:
Ok, good news, I did register my little 5 yrs old daughter tonight in a Taekwondo academy (US Academy of Martial Arts, East Longmeadow MA). She got her uniform yesterday, she look soooo cute in it!! :D Today is her first day at school, for half an hour. It's gonna be fun to watch her!
:D Well if she's that cute in it then we've all got to see a pic... if you don't mind that is... :D

OP
M

MissTwisties

Well, I will take pics soon, and also video record her...lol I'll make sure to post a pic when I have one. :)
MACaver said:
:D Well if she's that cute in it then we've all got to see a pic... if you don't mind that is... :D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MissTwisties said:
Well, I will take pics soon, and also video record her...lol I'll make sure to post a pic when I have one. :)
Then I quote Gin-Gin... yay cuties! :D

Karate Dad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have three girls (2 are 15 and one is 10). I started the 15 year olds in American Kenpo when they were 5. They are still studying today. (they received their junior black belts when they were almost 11 and are working on receiving their adult black belts next year (hopefully)) I originally was looking for something that was fun and would help them burn off some excess energy. I wanted them to have some discipline and learn self defense techniques that they could eventually use as they got older. The girls also enjoy the weapons katas. My 10 year-old started when she was 5 as well but she took a break after she got her white belt. She didn't start again until she was 9 when I started taking classes. All three of my daughters compete on the KRANE and NASKA tournament circuits which they seem to enjoy quite a bit.

I, too, am a bit biased but I think American Kenpo is a good choice for your daughter.

OP
M

MissTwisties

Look, I edited my post and added more!! LOL :D

OP
M

MissTwisties

The last picture, she is with her Master Han...real nice guy. :)

OP
R

rainbows

She's adorable! Little TKD kids are so cute.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
rainbows said:
She's adorable! Little TKD kids are so cute.
I was Just leaving my private lesson this morning and in walks about 10 small children from preschool go to a lesson at Sensei Tim's dojo, for there Hour of PT.
Just like they do in Japan and Okinawa.
It was really nice to watch them going through the drills etc. good for their disipline and social studies also...Motor functions and all that stuff...

It was nice. Regards, Gary

OP
C

Croxley

MACaver said:
I think you should go back to that music school and remind them that Mozart wrote his first (major) piece of music at FOUR years old, then leave. Basically they don't know (or care) enough about children to make that kind of judgement on their potential abilities.
Grr grr grr... stupid stuck up people.
A friend's son who is 5 is learning the violin. And the bagpipes.

(OK, it's a musical family. Mom's a pianist and Dad's a top bagpiper and a guitarist. My kids are 11 and 8 and are learning the pipes and snare drum, respectively, in his outfit. Did you know that even drummers have written music?)

Latest Discussions