looking for a training camp

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What got to most of the people was the loneliness. You ate what the instructor told you to eat and you did what he told you to do. Now understand that most of the guys there had never been away from mommy's side, so that can do it. I have been through boot so the mental stuff was enough to make me laugh. The physical stuff I loved... He kicked my knee out of socket on the 13th day because I was being too arrogant and I was required to keep coming back at him. In the middle.. around day 30, I sprained my ankle but continued to run the four miles a day... until he found out about it (You just don't whine about things that you can handle) and made me rest for a couple days. Physically it is difficult. You'll do more than you think that you will be able to do, but it will never be more than you can handle.

I don't know what made guys leave. I found it easy and fun. I did have problems with the program.. The food was not edible (traditional Japanese goo) and the bowing and there was a conflict in me over my religious persuasions.. and so I couldn't handle the program. One of the guys left because he slept next to me and I snore loud and he couldn't sleep...

There are quite a few days that I regret having left the program. I have plenty of good reasons, but than that is the problem with overly intelligent people.. they think too much and can justify just about anything. I left because there was a part of me that couldn't handle it. Whether it was a weakness or a strength is my concern and I don't mind if the director and the sempai and kohai think less of me for it. For me it is two months of darn good memories. I continue to train the same way as I trained there (when I can find crazy people with like minds to practice on) and will keep doing so.

OP
W

WannaBeAmachine

It will be a damn long time before i will have three years to spend at a school like that but it soulds like it would be well worth it. is there an age limit on it? also how much did it cost i can't imagine it would be cheap.

OP
W

WannaBeAmachine

Originally posted by Turner

.. The food was not edible (traditional Japanese goo)...

that would kick ***, i spent a year in japan a couple years ago and i loved the good, nothing like fish heads, and rice..mmmmmm... and now that i am back in the states, i pretty much live on , rice, oatmeal, boiled eggs, and red meat... so i dont think the food would get to me. It would have a few years ago though i used to live on fast food before i woke up and realized what i was doing to my body.

PS. sorry i didn't post this with the above one. my hands are faster than my mind.

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The training was free. The instructor would get you a job working nights for 32 hours a week and then gradually reduce the time as you spend in at the program. He would take all the money you made at the job to support the program (you didn't need it anyways because you wouldn't be going anywhere or doing anything)... and as more members came in and you became a senior student your tasks would involve teaching the new guys and that would be how you 'pay' for the program....

There is a preferred age of 17-23, but if you want it bad enough and are willing to commit to the whole three years, he'd probably let you in... But if you seem like you aren't willing to go the whole three years then he will not bother with ya... You'll have to go through a screening process, of course, before entering.

The traditional breakfast was Miso soup. A broth of fermented soy beans, soy sauce, onions, rice, tofu, and raw eggs. It didn't go down very well and you always have to eat fast... like boot camp... and you had to eat ALOT... that was one of my problems.. I don't eat much and so I was eating more in one meal there than I normally eat in a day. The rest of the meals were good and are stuff that I cook now, having learned how there... Chicken soup, Pork Cutlets, Stir Fry, etc... Military food was better, but then I was Air Force and our meals were catered...

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Wow, this sounds like a dream to me!!!! I would be more than willing to sacrifice 3yrs to train. The benefits of such training could be limitless!!!!

I do have one question though. I have been pondering how to go about training in such manner. How do you guys manage to put everything on hold inorder to train? I mean like work and stuff? Do you just take a leave of absence?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.:asian:

OP
R

Richard S.

machine, saw something about a 2day intensive camp in Peninsula, Ohio June 7-9 2002 says for info send SASE to INTC po box 360663 Strongsville,Ohio 44136-9998 not sure about validity, but i hope it helps SEMPER FI BRO!

OP
W

WannaBeAmachine

Turner... ok, the tofu part of the diet doesn't sounds to good, i guess it could be if they made it right though. eating a lot would be no problem thats for sure i eat about 6 meals a day all kinda small but i think i would be good. and i'd bet money Marine Corps. food is worse than that training camps lol.
also, thunder... personally if i wasn't mil, and could just quit my job without going to jail, i would in a heart beat. if i had half a chance i would throw away every thing, house, car, job, for the chance to go to a camp like that.
Hell if i know what i'd do after though... maybe try the "walk the earth" thing, i'm a country boy my hunting and scavenging is pretty good. just travel with the seasons till i am to old then join a monastery.
(sigh)... keep dreamen though right.

Rick.. thanks for the info i'll drop them a lne.

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That would be the biggest problem... leaving everything behind. That is why so many people drop out of the course... Lonliness and having to put their life on hold. For some of the guys it was virtually impossible to live without their girlfriends, live without a life aside from training.

As for your career... I had just gotten out of the military and so I was under no obligation to do anything... If you are actually interested, then apply and if you get in, quit your job. The whole purpose of the camp is to change your life.. to get you out of the rut that you are stuck in and make you a 'real' martial arts instructor/student.

The instructor is under the impression that americans are 'soft' and from all the different martial art classes I've taken, I'd agree. For the US its a kids art and even the adults are trained like kids. I personally believe that in order to be a real black belt you have to prove that you can take your licks as well as dish em out. None of this tip-tap stuff... So the instructor/director is interested in bringing the martial arts as it was meant to be to america. He trained with Mas Oyama in Japan and he helped start a full contact school in Romania...

So, if you are interested to dedicating your life to the Martial Arts.. learn how to be a darn good fighter, mostly by getting the crap kicked out of you on a daily basis.. this place is for you. Check out BudoKarateHouse.com for more information.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jason Chambers said:
ILittle Army Trivia:
What FM covers foxhole construction? Yes, there is one. :rofl:
FM 7-8; or for riflemen that can't count past 7, "FM 7 dash HUAH".

As for "short courses" the Tokyo riot police have a year long course (in Tokyo) based on Aikido. Foreigners are allowed to attend, and I believe you can go by the month. Dr. John Painter in Texas has intensive month long training camps for military personel, and James McNeil has intensive 1 and 2 month courses in Hsing Yi and "Splashing Hands". I've never been myself, but I've always had an interest.

As far as 60 days of training 7 days a week for 5 to 8 hours a day or whatever, I don't feel that's equal to three years of training 3 times a week 2 hours a session. The skills need time to sort of "ferment" like beer or maybe "ripen" within you. If you force something to grow too quickly, often you can end up with mutations that aren't beneficial. The muscles, nerves and everything in between need time to mature, time that's not in the dojo, time that's not included when you add it all up on paper.

:asian:

OP
P

pakua

WannaBeAmachine said:
my hands are faster than my mind.

You don't say . . . . .

Judging by the reported quality of US military intelligence, that doesn't surprise me one bit.

OP
J

J. Lee

Mr. Castleberry -In the mid nineties ; he was accepting private students , to work on his ranch & train .
Still an active teacher , contact him in LIBERTY HILL , TX.

Realize i am not making any promises ; however, he is retired USMC .

j lee

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
j.lee,

welcome to martial talk. hope you have fun here as i have had. use the search button to find more info on already discussed topics and feel free to ask questions.

peace

Latest Discussions