Looking for a new art...

OP
Tarrycat

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I have good news, I found a Kyokushin karate dojo - it's exactly where my Ninjutsu classes used to be! Same building, everything - déjà vu!? [emoji53]

He says that the dojo operates directly under IKO Honbu Japan, headed by Sokai Matsui & Cape Town Honbu dojo headed by Hanshi Kenny Uitenbogaart.

Is that good or bad? [emoji85]

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I have good news, I found a Kyokushin karate dojo - it's exactly where my Ninjutsu classes used to be! Same building, everything - déjà vu!? [emoji53]

He says that the dojo operates directly under IKO Honbu Japan, headed by Sokai Matsui & Cape Town Honbu dojo headed by Hanshi Kenny Uitenbogaart.

Is that good or bad? [emoji85]

Only one way to find out if that’s a good or bad thing - visit the dojo and see for yourself. Kyokushin could be exactly what you’re looking for, or you could have a completely wrong idea about it. The teacher and students could be great people to be around or they could be people you don’t want to associate with. You never know until you visit.

That said, I think Ashihara and/or Enshin karate have a good presence in South Africa. They’re offshoots of Kyokushin. If you have access to either of those dojos, give them a visit.

Seido karate is very similar to Kyokushin, only the contact level is less. I train in Seido (formerly trained in another Kyokushin offshoot) and met the South Africa branch chief - Anver Wahab who’s out of Cape Town, I believe. Very nice guy and very knowledgeable. I haven’t trained under him nor been to South Africa, so I can’t say anything about his personal day to day teaching. Worth checking out if it’s accessible though IMO.

OP
Tarrycat

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Only one way to find out if that’s a good or bad thing - visit the dojo and see for yourself. Kyokushin could be exactly what you’re looking for, or you could have a completely wrong idea about it. The teacher and students could be great people to be around or they could be people you don’t want to associate with. You never know until you visit.

That said, I think Ashihara and/or Enshin karate have a good presence in South Africa. They’re offshoots of Kyokushin. If you have access to either of those dojos, give them a visit.

Seido karate is very similar to Kyokushin, only the contact level is less. I train in Seido (formerly trained in another Kyokushin offshoot) and met the South Africa branch chief - Anver Wahab who’s out of Cape Town, I believe. Very nice guy and very knowledgeable. I haven’t trained under him nor been to South Africa, so I can’t say anything about his personal day to day teaching. Worth checking out if it’s accessible though IMO.
My father wasn't too happy about me wanting to do Kyokushin, he said it's too "rough" for me. It's actually the reason why I wanted to take it. Lol. Martial Arts shouldn't be unrealistic in my opinion, otherwise it won't help you in reality... Attackers in real life don't care about slapping you around, which is why you need the conditioning & hard work in the dojo.

He said he'll pay for Aikido. [emoji53]...fml [emoji58]

Oh well. I'll have to choose an art, because I don't want to waste time stagnating. I'd rather learn something than do nothing.

I don't have anything against Aikido, I'm just not certain if it's the right art for someone like me.

The Sensei is a 6th Dan, currently teaching at The University of Pretoria.

I will have a look at those karate style suggestions of yours regardless though. Perhaps my father will consider it.

Thank you so much. :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My father wasn't too happy about me wanting to do Kyokushin, he said it's too "rough" for me. It's actually the reason why I wanted to take it. Lol. Martial Arts shouldn't be unrealistic in my opinion, otherwise it won't help you in reality... Attackers in real life don't care about slapping you around, which is why you need the conditioning & hard work in the dojo.

Oh well. I'll have to choose an art, because I don't want to waste time stagnating. I'd rather learn something than do nothing.

I don't have anything against Aikido, I'm just not certain if it's the right art for someone like me.

I will have a look at those karate style suggestions of yours regardless though. Perhaps my father will consider it.

When one has one's heart set on something, nothing else will do as well. But don't discount Aikido as a good and practical art. It is. And it will teach you many good defensive techniques if you will let it; in other words, really commit to learning as much as you can.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Kyokushin has mellowed out a bit in many dojos. When I first started in the mid 90s, it was bare knuckle sparring from day one (literally day 1). Many of them have learned their lessons the hard way and now ease students into it. Many start with full protective gear, and decrease the amount of gear as the student progresses. Most Kyokushin competition follows this - the lowest ranks wear protective gear and spar similar to point fighting (start-stop), the higher you go in ranks, the less gear and heavier contact allowed. Most people only see the bare knuckle continuous “knockdown” sparring and competition. That’s typically brown and black belt. Some dojos refuse to change their ways from the old days, others have evolved by progressing the level of contact. The only way to know what your local dojo is actually doing is to go visit.

That said, and same for Aikido and every other art - how effective it’ll be is dependent on the teacher and students. How it’s being taught and trained will dictate its effectiveness. A Kyokushin school full of little kids thinking they’re Power Rangers (rare, but you never know) isn’t going to be as good for this purpose as a “soft” school with a bunch of adults who train hard and with intent.

Have you considered something like Judo or BJJ?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
May I ask where you are located? I remember you said you've been here. That's very cool! At least you can understand my situation. [emoji26]

I'm glad you found a place. Maybe take dad with you to watch some of the Koyucushin classes?

In answer to your question, I'm in Hawaii.

This is me at Sun City. I don't think there is a republic of Bophuthatswana anymore, is there?

SunCity.jpg

Latest Discussions