Looking for a new art...

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys! Long time.... :)

My Ninjutsu dojo has relocated (to a dangerous part of town) unfortunately, & I'm now on the lookout for a new martial art, hence there aren't any Ninjutsu dojo's nearby. If there were any Ninjutsu dojo's nearby, I would most probably join them, hence it has grown on me like nothing else.

Is there any other martial art you can recommend that will provide both a traditional & efficient self-defense background for me?

I was looking at Kyokushin karate, or MMA (I don't know whether or not MMA will provide much of a traditional background, I don't know it that well at all). I searched MMA, because I've heard that it helped a lot of women. The club I was looking at is very good - apparently it has bred some pro MMA fighters.

My goal, however, is not to fight "pro" or compete, it's just to be an efficient & effective fighter IN CASE I need to defend myself.

As for the Kyokushin karate, I can't find a dojo anywhere. It seems to be a very rare martial art, or at least the dojo's are very sparsely populated in countries (well at least so I've read?).

I would really appreciate any advice or information with regards to your experience...

Thank you. :)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well if you can't find a kyokushin place then that's kind of out the window. Just pick a place turn up see what you think

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know whether or not MMA will provide much of a traditional background

I really don't think it will.

It may well be effective, but I highly doubt you'll find much tradition or cultural heritage kind of thing going on...

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Seconding pdg, MMA completely dispenses with any traditional elements in favor of western sporting culture in my experience. Hell, half the time "dojo" is replaced with "gym" and "sensei/renshi" replaced with "coach."

With that being said, I attended some Ninjitsu seminars taught by Renshi Allie Alberigo back when I was training in Hakkoryu Jiu Jitsu (Japanese). I was struck by the overall similarities between the two arts, and suspect you'll enjoy Japanese Jiu Jitsyu if you enjoy Ninjitsu.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score

My Ninjutsu dojo has relocated (to a dangerous part of town) unfortunately, & I'm now on the lookout for a new martial art, hence there aren't any Ninjutsu dojo's nearby. If there were any Ninjutsu dojo's nearby, I would most probably join them, hence it has grown on me like nothing else.
Ouch, I was going to suggest bujinkan ninjutsu.

which martial arts dojos are in parts of town you feel you can safely get to?

OP
Tarrycat

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score

Definitely only the Pretoria East area & not in the heart of the city (lots of hijackings; people held at gun-point, etc). I know, Ninjutsu is a wonderful martial art. It's very difficult for me to move past not being able to practice it anymore, because it taught me a lot about the Japanese culture

There is a Bujinkan, but it's also quite far from where I am. I still live with my parents, my father is very strict, so anything in close proximity to my house is preferable. If I lived alone, it would probably not have been a big issue, as I don't mind distance (I do mind safety, however).

There are a few karate dojo's, one is a shotokan dojo, but I like more of what I've seen in the kyokushin discipline, it looks tougher, & perhaps will help me more with regards to self-defence, I think?

Otherwise I'll have to take a look at the MMA club which I mentioned earlier. It's very close-by.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. :)

OP
Tarrycat

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Seconding pdg, MMA completely dispenses with any traditional elements in favor of western sporting culture in my experience. Hell, half the time "dojo" is replaced with "gym" and "sensei/renshi" replaced with "coach."

With that being said, I attended some Ninjitsu seminars taught by Renshi Allie Alberigo back when I was training in Hakkoryu Jiu Jitsu (Japanese). I was struck by the overall similarities between the two arts, and suspect you'll enjoy Japanese Jiu Jitsyu if you enjoy Ninjitsu.
Thanks so much, I really appreciate your thoughtful feedback!

I will then definitely look into JJJ, I trust your opinion on this, since you know what Ninjutsu entails.

I will do some Japanese Jiujitsu dojo searching! :)

OP
Tarrycat

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score

By Pretoria East, I mean:

- Garsfontein
- Moreleta Park
- Waterkloof

Not much to choose from, really. These are the safest areas, though. [emoji23]

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Is there any other martial art you can recommend that will provide both a traditional & efficient self-defense background for me?

I was looking at Kyokushin karate, or MMA (I don't know whether or not MMA will provide much of a traditional background, I don't know it that well at all). I searched MMA, because I've heard that it helped a lot of women. The club I was looking at is very good - apparently it has bred some pro MMA fighters.

My goal, however, is not to fight "pro" or compete, it's just to be an efficient & effective fighter IN CASE I need to defend myself.

As for the Kyokushin karate, I can't find a dojo anywhere. It seems to be a very rare martial art, or at least the dojo's are very sparsely populated in countries (well at least so I've read?).

I would really appreciate any advice or information with regards to your experience...

Thank you. :)

I trained ninjitsu for a short period of time and trained Japanese Jujitsu for years. They are both very similar in techniques, there approach is a little different. I would definitely say JJJ is the closest you'll get to Ninjitsu.

OP
Tarrycat

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why do you want the traditionalism?
It's just something that I really enjoy learning about, I've grown to love the Japanese culture.

However, if it's something that I have to give up, I will do so, since there is not much scope where I am.

I will definitely have a look at the MMA dojo, regardless. I also enjoy sparring & realistic, modern fighting techniques, so maybe I will enjoy it. What I like about MMA & karate, is the fact that it concentrates on fitness a lot.

Every martial art or sport has its pros & cons I guess... :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tarrycat, how is Pretoria these days? I haven't been there in a long time.

What you need to do is to think practical. And what you said "Every martial art or sport has its pros & cons I guess" is spot on, and quite practical.

Whatever dojos are within a reasonable distance to your home are your options. The best thing to do would be write them down on a list, then go visit them. Preferably several nights for each one. Besides, that would be kind of fun. Go feel the vibe it gives you.

And lease keep us posted.

OP
Tarrycat

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score

What you need to do is to think practical. And what you said "Every martial art or sport has its pros & cons I guess" is spot on, and quite practical.

Whatever dojos are within a reasonable distance to your home are your options. The best thing to do would be write them down on a list, then go visit them. Preferably several nights for each one. Besides, that would be kind of fun. Go feel the vibe it gives you.

It is going TERRIBLE this side. It's unsafe, & the crime is getting worse. As you can see, I can't drive anywhere without having an accident (the people here can't drive, the taxi's do as they please, as well as the people), or without hijackings. The quality of life isn't worth staying here, honestly.

We thought our new president would be a nice guy, but he's turned out to be worse than Zuma. The land grabbing, the crime, everything is getting worse.

I'm already considering immigrating to Germany, UK, or Australia; perhaps the US, but the US really doesn't have a good work-life balance, considering working in the corporate industry. I will have to travel to see where I could fit in best. I'm an outdoors person, so perhaps Aus, or US would be a better fit. I would like some time for martial arts & horse riding outside of my career.

I will definitely try broadening my perspective on which art I select... I really like Karate, but I've now seen the trainers of the Kyokushin club this side & I bet the closest dojo will be in Mamelodi (you will understand), & I don't want classes from trainers who don't know what they are doing. My best option is the MMA dojo, & I'm thinking it will deliver up to my expectations. [emoji85]

May I ask where you are located? I remember you said you've been here. That's very cool! At least you can understand my situation. [emoji26]

OP
Tarrycat

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score

I will definitely list them.

Thank you for your advice. :)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm an outdoors person, so perhaps Aus, or US would be a better fit.

You can be an outdoors person in the UK.

Just bring a coat, and gloves, and a hat.

And sometimes, a t-shirt...

(A few weeks ago, snow - 2 weeks ago, nearly 30°c - today, I'm wearing a woolly hat...)

OP
Tarrycat

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can be an outdoors person in the UK.

Just bring a coat, and gloves, and a hat.

And sometimes, a t-shirt...

(A few weeks ago, snow - 2 weeks ago, nearly 30°c - today, I'm wearing a woolly hat...)
I will consider the UK. My great, great grandfather was Welsh.

You people are VERY brave considering the cold weather! I guess one gets used to it & you adapt to it. Brrrrrrrr!!! [emoji23]

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You people are VERY brave considering the cold weather! I guess one gets used to it & you adapt to it. Brrrrrrrr!!! [emoji23]

It got colder where I lived in France than it does where I am now (southern UK).

The problem I have with it is that you never seem to get the chance to acclimatise... If it was cold winter, medium spring/autumn and warm or hot summer, then I could swing with it.

But noooooo - cold, hot, wet, freezing, hot.

In some places that's one day ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It got colder where I lived in France than it does where I am now (southern UK).

The problem I have with it is that you never seem to get the chance to acclimatise... If it was cold winter, medium spring/autumn and warm or hot summer, then I could swing with it.

When I lived in the UK and visitors would ask 'when's summer?' I'd usually tell them some variant of "well, last year it was on a tuesday..."

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I lived in the UK and visitors would ask 'when's summer?' I'd usually tell them some variant of "well, last year it was on a tuesday..."

This year, it's scheduled for a Thursday, at about 11:30.

It'll be over by 13:45 though...

OP
Tarrycat

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score

Here in Port Elizabeth they also experience four seasons in a day. [emoji23]... My best friend lives there & it's the complete opposite of what South African weather is known for.

It's sunny here almost every single day. The air is dry, much like Arizona, except I think it's not as dry & it doesn't get as hot as it would in AZ.

The weather in SA is my absolute favourite. It's a lot like AUS.

I like humid, sub-tropical temperatures like you'll get in KwaZulu-Natal. [emoji4]

Sometimes though, the cold is necessary. I feel like I can work better when it's cold. The heat can be exhausting. [emoji26]