Looking for a Good Katana

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hecks yeah, if I find one I'll be sure to post about it....

I got a Ninja bokken....Its nice and light, but sturdy.

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Aye...heres a picture

martialartsmart_1883_177263

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to be a bit blunt on this matter. Please don't take it personally, since I have absolutely nothing against you, and if anything, enjoy reading your posts on other matters.

That ninja-to style bokken is not going to last very long at all.

Given it's price, I'm almost certain that it was made with a very porous grain red oak slab. If you stripped off the black paint and the varnish, then you would see all sorts of wood fillers used to fill up the gaps in the wood.

There are many kinds of wood that will be far superior, and that bokken made from the better woods are going to make you a happier practitioner. They may cost more, but in the end, it's safer, since you don't have to worry about splintering bokkens to nearly the same extent.

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's not to mention that that black paint is gonna come off all over your hands the longer you train with it.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And then there's the fact that the straight blade is an American creation with no historical accuracy. Oh well.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So true. The Japanese never made a straight blade like that. Many "Ninjas", when they actually go to Japan, find that out. The movies and the Ninja boom in the early 80's created the "Ninja Sword".

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe no straight blade quite like that one, but there were certainly straight swords in Japan. The old stuff.

http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/glossary.htm

I know you meant there were no ninjato that match the short straight bladed, giant square tsuba'd design mimiced by that bokuto, but perhaps all readers may not. Even the ninpo guys use more standard katana style weapons.

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If mine goes FUBAR then I will borrow Sensei's until I get a new one....I go this one cause it was cheep and I had a little extra cash...So no worries

Latest Discussions