Looking for a Good Katana

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have checked a few, but not all of them are local...and I can't be sure...if there are any here local...driving to Lexington is out of the question...thats way to far...even for someone as devoted as I...I'm 19 and and in college...and I have a part time job...so yeah out of the question...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks I know there is some interseting suff being posted and there is some that is more personal so

Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation on topic..

Sheldon Bedell -MT Moderator-

If you wish to start treads on some of the subjects that are not about the original topic feel free to do so

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Horray,
I just got my taxes back, and I'm getting like 500 dollars, so I'm like 2.3 percent closer to getting my new katana...Little joke there...

Anyways...I'm still open to whoever wants to send me links to whatever site to purchase a Traditional Katana.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
Horray,
I just got my taxes back, and I'm getting like 500 dollars, so I'm like 2.3 percent closer to getting my new katana...Little joke there...

Anyways...I'm still open to whoever wants to send me links to whatever site to purchase a Traditional Katana.

Did you happen to check out the links that I posted? Some good stuff there.

Regards,
Walt

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i'd go with a bugei katana myself.......ive been reading about people's experiences with them for the past 2 years, along with various others.......and they always seem to get a good review as having an excellent product for a decent price.

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
i'd go with a bugei katana myself.......ive been reading about people's experiences with them for the past 2 years, along with various others.......and they always seem to get a good review as having an excellent product for a decent price.
I'm a Bugei fan myself. They are very high quality made for the rigors of practice and countless years of tameshigiri practice for the Japanese sword art practitioner. And every year the batches of swords being sent from Bugei to their customers are getting better and better. Bugei have their swords made at the Hanwei factor under Paul Chen's supervision. The Bugei set of swords get a different set of special requirements over the nonBugei Paul Chen sword popularly sold by other retailers. Paul Chen's son also had completed apprenticeship under Yoshindo Yoshihara as well so some of that training and education under Yoshindo will likely be reflected in future Bugei swords. In fact last year's batches of Bugei swords had shown great improvement already which maybe hint that that reflection is already happening.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kroh said:
Do you own a sword Shawn?

Regards,
Walt

i do, but it's only a trainer that my teacher made for me. It's quite heavy.....so when i pick up an iaito it feels like a toothpick.

shawn

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
UFRP147T.jpg

Oh like one of these?

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
i do, but it's only a trainer that my teacher made for me. It's quite heavy.....so when i pick up an iaito it feels like a toothpick.

shawn
Is this your sword Shawn?

kataoka.jpg

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That has got to be the biggest blade I've ever seen a picture of. Wow.

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I finally got my Bokken after a week of waiting, and I still continue the search for a decent Sword arts instructor....Until then...I'll learn basic tech. from a friend of mine...**Note: No real Blades will be used by me or anyone around me until there is a certified sword instructor, and he gives the ok.**

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Good luck with it man! Just let us know when you find a qualified instructor. It could help other people in the area find instruction if you shout out about what you find.

Regards,
Walt

P.S. What kind of Bokken did you get ?