Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks...but no where did it give any phone numbers and such

splice42

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
Ok, now I see what you mean. I received my training in those forms through the Bukiho Kempo Kobujutsu (weapon principle fist law ancient martial art) branch in my Kempo school.
I believe that this "Bukiho Kempo Kobujutsu" is part of the Kiyojute Ryu Bugei Kempo of Mr. William Durbin, correct? You should be aware that this is not in any way a Traditional Japanese Sword Art. Mr. Durbin's credentials have often been criticised, to the point that Human Kinetics, who published his book "Mastering Kempo", have removed all references to his fictional PhD (which was obtained from a diploma mill) from their web site and the author's biography in his book.

It may be good enough for you, but you should be aware that his teachings probably don't reflect what is taught in Traditional Japanese Sword Arts.

Kenjutsu is like how you explained it (You just have a katana), but with batto and iai; the idea is with batto you draw, cut and cut 1 or 2 more times to slay your foe and then you return the blade to the sheath (after a blood sling ofcourse), in iai its just 1 draw and then the return. I hope this somewhat clearifies things....
You are operating under definitions that are not widely accepted. Your definition of Iai goes against all the Iai I've seen and done; only one kata I practice has only one cut, all the others have more than one. All the waza include chiburi. From this point of view, batto-jutsu and iai are pretty much interchangeable terms. In fact, so is kenjutsu. This is a quote from Dr. Karl Friday, Dept. of History, university of Georgia:

Standardization, of course, is an interesting phenomenon. As I've noted repeatedly (here and elsewhere), there really WAS none prior to modern times. In Tokugawa period and earlier sources swordsmanship is referred to as "kenjutsu," "kendo," "kenpo," "hyoho" (also read as "heiho"), "tojutsu," "toho," "gekken," "gekishi no jutsu," and several other names, with no apparent distinction of form or content. (The prevailing term during the Tokugawa period seems to have been "hyoho" ["heiho"], BTW.) It's only in this century that "kenjutsu" and "kendo" have emerged as the more-or-less standard terms.
Every school decides on the term to use for their particular art. You won't find one generic quality that differentiates batto, iai, and kenjutsu. The only exception is kendo, since that's now a well-defined term for the art of kendo. There is no art of batto, iai or kenjutsu, just styles that decide to classify themselves as such. Heck, different branches of the same style sometimes use different terms too. I know the art I practice (Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu) has been referred to as iaido, iaijutsu, iai heiho and battodo, but it's pretty much the same thing all around.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
splice42 said:
... only one kata I practice has only one cut, all the others have more than one.

On a side note you will discover that there are more the farther into your training you get. There are 2 in Seiza no Bu(ukenagashi), another in Tate Hiza no Bu, 6 in Oku Tachi Waza... That's just the one's I can think of off the top of my head.

T

TheBattousai

splice42 said:
It may be good enough for you, but you should be aware that his teachings probably don't reflect what is taught in Traditional Japanese Sword Arts.

I'm aware that this isn't exactly taught in the same way as most, but its combat effect and is sound in terms of defending yourself, which to me is what counts.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
I'm aware that this isn't exactly taught in the same way as most, but its combat effect and is sound in terms of defending yourself, which to me is what counts.

How do you know it's effective? On what do you base that assertion?

T

TheBattousai

Charles Mahan said:
How do you know it's effective? On what do you base that assertion?

Threw the training. We've pratciced test cutting on some one to one and 1/2 ft thick trees and it worked. Plus mainly, the other weapon training have worked in real life, why should I doubt the sword training. I can't help people think lowly of him or the bitterness between MA just because such'in such happend. I don't care about politics between MAs and all I can say is that what I have learned works in the streets to protect myself and others, isn't that the point of training? I say, let the big whigs handle politics and they can decide what they think is real, legit, or whatever, cause all I know is tha it works, I like it, and I don't care about the other stuff/politics, just let me train. If that isn't a good reason for me or other people to do the arts they like, then too bad.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So your assertion is based on having spent some time cutting and on proving sword techniques on the dojo floor?

T

TheBattousai

I was refering to the empty hand and other weapons (i.e. Hambo, Bo, Jo, etc.), but no not the classical Katana. But when a student left for the military and joined special forces, they used a machette (Not sure about the spelling) and it worked the same way as a katana/wakizashi. They cut a guy from a point inbetween the neck and shoulder, followed a diagonal line out the side right above the hip, and the top half fell off the bottom half, that simply. Sorry about that rant, earlier but I really hate politics in a shape, form, and fashion of life.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm still not sure that using a machete to cut someone in a modern conflict is proof that what you've learned would have worked back in the day.

It's the fundamental problem with creating a new sword style. There is simply no way to ever be sure it's worth anything. With the few remaining extant styles the techniques can be followed back in time to a point where they were actually used against other people who were similarly trained.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sin, are there any professional cutlery stores in your area? They might also carry hand-forged swords made to order. Expect to spend a bit.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Really good Katana...Something that they would use in the old times...something you can actually use...and not worry about the handle falling off....::looks at Tiger Claw and Shudders::

I don't train in Sword arts..at least not yet, but it would just be nice to have a good Katana.

As has ben noted in earlier posts a good Katana is going to cost you a bit of money. Cheap immatations are all over the place and have proven to break at the most unoppertune time and cause injury to those holding them at times

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, they do NOT teach "machette" in special forces training. Actually, very little hand to hand (6hrs). They use Ka-Gun.

ron

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Sin, are there any professional cutlery stores in your area? They might also carry hand-forged swords made to order. Expect to spend a bit.

There isn't anything in my area...at least none that I know of...

Hey and guys...This thread is dangerously getting close to being a "flaming" one, so as a fellow Martial Talk member....I ask for everyone to cool there Jets and rememmber...Where all family within the Martial Arts.

K

kenpojujitsu

Sin said:
I live in Louisville, Kentucky, if there is anyone near by then please PM me...TheBattousai...hopefully will show me a thing or two.

Here's a Muso Shinden Ryu Dojo in Lexington

http://www.bluegrassbudokai.com/BGB/

It's not that far of a drive if you are serious. I used to live in Louisville and worked in Lexington. Even if you can just make weekend classes you can atleast get some proper training. If this does not work, maybe they know someone in Louisville or some where close.

K

kenpojujitsu

..."but with batto and iai; the idea is with batto you draw, cut and cut 1 or 2 more times to slay your foe and then you return the blade to the sheath (after a blood sling ofcourse), in iai its just 1 draw and then the return. I hope this somewhat clearifies things"....

Actually, Battodo is an older word for Iaido. No real difference in the 2, just a more modern versus an older name.

Battodo is the way of drawing the sword (basically)
Iaido is a way of pulling together in harmony (loose translation).

There are numerous "iaido" kata with more than 1 cut after the draw.

This is just one reason why you have knowledgable, experienced sword people saying "find a qualified instructor". A buddy with some training and someone who thinks 5 years is extensive will only mislead you. Maybe not intentionally, but they have been misled themselves if they think they are qualified to teach.

K

kenpojujitsu

Sin said:
Well now...I understand your concerns for self taught sword training. My friend has had classic japanesse training, so where not going in blind here.

Also TheBattousai has offered to train with me...and I for got to ask him in a PM, if he has had any sword training?

I would definitely keep looking for someone else. Your friend, i don't know him, but seems unqualified to teach based on your posts. As does TheBattousai based on his posts.

K

kenpojujitsu

TheBattousai said..
..."they used a machette (Not sure about the spelling) and it worked the same way as a katana/wakizashi"...

Sorry, but this is ridiculous. A machete is a hacking tool that is a different size, weight and shape than a katana and a wakizashi. They do not and can not work the same. Please, please, do not try to teach someone how to draw and cut with a katana, you will get them hurt.

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't plan on using a LIVE blade for a long time.....so don't worry about me doing that...I know the risks of that and they are too high with my level of experince...so I will stick to my bokken for a long time eh...and when a 100% certified instructor in Louisville comes about...I'll hook up with him/her...but until then...I'm just gonna talk to other MAist about it and if they know anything I will ask that they demonstate...WITH THE WOODEN BOKKEN....

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sin said:
I don't plan on using a LIVE blade for a long time.....so don't worry about me doing that...I know the risks of that and they are too high with my level of experince...so I will stick to my bokken for a long time eh...and when a 100% certified instructor in Louisville comes about...I'll hook up with him/her...but until then...I'm just gonna talk to other MAist about it and if they know anything I will ask that they demonstate...WITH THE WOODEN BOKKEN....

I'm sure you have a good head on your shoulders with every intent on keeping it there. :lol2:

So we digress. Have you checked any of the links yet? See anything you like? Gotten any ides? Learned some new and (IMO) interesting stuff?

C'mon, man! Share!

Latest Discussions