Looking for a good cma school in china

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To sum this post up: I am basically looking for any legitimate school or master in China. I have some leads, but any insight from anyone to help give me a legitimate experience in China would help. I had some leads, and everytime I found one lead, some blog would basically dismantle another school. I went from looking for Wing Chun outside of Hong Kong ( I don't want to spend that much on my first trip there). I have recently settled on a shaolin school in Dengfeng, Xiao Long Wu Yuan. I just got done reading some bad things about the school. Does anyone know anything about this school? Does anyone have a recommendation on an amazing school in China? At this point, I really do not care what arts it in. I have light JKD background. If I can say anything from it, it has taught me every art has greatness to offer. I just want to spend my time in China, in a worthy and legitimate place and practice my Mandarin before I ship off to some undisclosed location in Peace Corps - Sub Sahara Africa. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, after doing a lot of research on this Shaolin Kung Fu adventure in China, I can't help but to feel like almost all of the schools emphasis will be put on forms and acrobatics. I am not doubting anything about the methods of how things are taught, I just want to know I will be in a place where I can learn very important functions, structures, and/or applications of a CMA. Thank you in advance, I apolgize for the the weird format of this post, but for whatever reason, this template is not allowing me to double space. -Ryan

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Futsan (foshan) has plenty of quality schools...

Futsan Hung Sing Gwoon -- Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut
Futsan Jing Mo -- Bak Mei among others
Wong Fei Hung Museum -- Tang Fong Hung Ga from Frank Yee Chi Wai

off the top of my head.

OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Futsan (foshan) has plenty of quality schools...

Futsan Hung Sing Gwoon -- Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut
Futsan Jing Mo -- Bak Mei among others
Wong Fei Hung Museum -- Tang Fong Hung Ga from Frank Yee Chi Wai

off the top of my head.

Thank you. I had difficulty finding any of the places you mentioned. Or did you mean if I got to Foshan, these are places I should look for?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
G

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Either or, but in Futsan, you'll find them without too much issue.

This is the website for the Futsan Hung Sing Gwoon... http://www.hongshengguan.com/

Here's info about the WFH Museum & Futsan Jing Mo...

http://www.china-expats.com/TouristGuides_Foshan_KungFu.htm

Thank you. I think my new route is Futsan (Foshan). Can I ask you a question about CLF?
I was doing a lot of web surfing last night and on some unparticular forum someone raised a reasonable point about learning a CMA in China for a few months with no real kung fu background.
This person sounded like a Chinese citizen, and they were directing their comment toward the Xiao Long Wu Yuan shaolin academy I had originally planned on going.
To paraphrase their point, he/she basically stated going to a school for 3 months of Shaolin Kung Fu with no background would not be efficient. They would only be teaching the basics (forms, acrobatics) which is something that could be learned at home (in the west). They personally recommended something that was less stringent like Wing Chun. Do you know if CLF would be taught in a similar fashion?

Either way, Wing Chun and CLF are both in Futsan. That is the one positive I can take from this.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No I'm not sure. I would guess that in 3 months only, you'd get lots of training in basics & maybe a set like Che Kuen and maybe a weapons like Seui Poon Guan. I'm not sure how they structure their teachings. I really don't know. It's just a guess.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Training in ANY traditional Chinese martial art, if done properly, is a gradual process requiring a committment of time and energy, and assuming a knowledgeable and skilled instructor willing to share with you. If any of those elements are missing, the exercise will give minimal yield.

You may or may not be able to learn the "basics" at home in the west. That also depends on the quality of the instruction you are able to find, and your ability to commit time and effort to the endeavor. Also to keep in mind: the "basics" are absolutely NOT the same from one style to another. So learning the "basics" for Modern Wushu will not help you much if you study Wing Chun. But learning the basics of Wing Chun will not help you much if you study Choy Li Fut, etc. While there are similarities and common principles from one system to another, that becomes more evident at a more advanced level. At the beginner and intermediate levels, trying to mix it up will simply cause confusion.

In my opinion, spending a few months at any school in China, esp. if you have limited or no prior experience, will not give you much skill or knowledge in the end. It may be a very good experience, but you won't actually walk away from it with much.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

j.bluestein

White Belt
Reaction score
Our head teacher, master Zhou Jingxuan, teaches in Tianjin, China. Master Zhou has been studying and teaching a lot of martial arts styles and weapons for a few decades by now. He's highly skilled, and a very nice person, used to teaching foreigners.

You can find more details on our official website:
http://swz.weebly.com/
(details on who to contact for becoming master Zhou's student are under the contact page on this website)

A
nd watch videos of master Zhou over here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/jingang