Looking for a capable straight sword

Discussion in 'Sword Arts Talk' started by Gfreak, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

And yes you can get single-edged sword in Chinese arts that are very katana-ish, I've never seen one that was not curved, but I believe the item in that picture is double-edged. That is also common in Chinese methods, two-handed method for a long sword, double edged.

2. Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow 2nd Black Belt

Yes. It is often debated which came first, the Chinese Dao or the Japanese Katana. Each nation claims the other stole it from them, and by this point it's impossible to pinpoint the true origin of the curved 2-handed blade in Asia. It's likely that both nations invented the blades at similar times separate from one another, but again trying to verify this is all but impossible.

3. Gfreak

Gfreak Yellow Belt

Yea, unfortunately even within the organization. on their website atleast, the only thing they sell sword wise is alluminum practice swords. And they're over priced imo...

So far this is the only sword that I've found that actually looks like it would be a decent sword, of that style.

Korean Jikdo Sword

However it's 1300$ lol. A bit out of my price range at the moment... maybe in the future when I've opened up my own school haha

edit: Actually, i did just manage to find this. Korean Jikdo Kagum Straight Sword T10 Steel Differential Harden Blade Sharp

It's $200 and claims it's differentially hardened T-10 steel.... I feel like that's too cheap for that, or am I missing something? lol

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

The fittings look very cheap but I wouldn't be able to tell unless I held it.

Personally when it comes to tools I tend to save up and try to buy higher quality. This comes after having learned the hard way. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Gfreak

Gfreak Yellow Belt

I"d absolutely agree! Only thing is, there's a huge difference in "saving up" to buy something 200, vs something 1300. Considering I only make 15k a year...haha the 1300 one isn't even in the question, for a good while.

6. Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow 2nd Black Belt

7. Gfreak

Gfreak Yellow Belt

Woah, tought I had responded to this, My bad lol.
    And yea, I might end up having to just use a normal katana with a smaller curve lol.

anyways, after more searching I've found a couple "options".

JK140 - Iron Tiger Forge Red Dragon Straight Blade Katana - $244.95

JK139 - Iron Tiger Forge Heron Straight Blade Katana - $189.95

Both from the same brand...

and

Hand Forged Folded Steel Straight Blade Katana Ninjato Sword

Which is a "ninjato" with a 29" blade? So seems basically like astraight bladed katana

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  8. gothmonroe

gothmonroe White Belt

I believe someone else posted this earlier but I'll reiterate, darkknightarmory.com has a pretty good range of swords. Another is replicadungeon.com. You should give both those a try.

-Best
    Goth Warrior