Look... Can't we all just agree that PUNCHING POWER is just a matter of upper-body strength?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll give it my all.

To be fair though, it's not like I won't try to learn technique. I still will. But most of my training hours will be lifting heavy iron and maximizing endurance.

Also, folks, don't imagine me walking into a boxing gym thinking myself awesome. Of course not. I'm just here to prove a point, not lord my superiority without first proving a point.

My point basically is this... You can get away with reasonably bad technique if your strength, athleticism, and endurance is high. THAT'S what I want to demonstrate. And it is also a prettier ratio. Minimal technique with great physicality is way more entertaining than ultimate technique with a soyboy physique.

If you are planning on having boxing fights please realise that everyone is strong. Everyone is training to win.

You may not have the endurance advantage if you are a big guy. And if you don't look for the mechanical advantages. You may not even have the strength advantage.

I mean we can look at power lifting. And even that relies mechanical advantage as much as big shoulders.

So can you for example snatch more than a 70kg guy?

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you are planning on having boxing fights please realise that everyone is strong. Everyone is training to win.

You may not have the endurance advantage if you are a big guy. And if you don't look for the mechanical advantages. You may not even have the strength advantage.

I mean we can look at power lifting. And even that relies mechanical advantage as much as big shoulders.

The thought of challenging someone who is big, muscular, AND is a great boxer is terrifying. Not a good idea for me, even for some light sparring.

This might sound cowardly but I'll only challenge the smaller folks first, testing the waters and see where I'm at. Of course I won't challenge the small AND UNSKILLED fighters. That's just stupid. Rather, I'll challenge the ones I think I can overwhelm with sheer athleticism but nowhere near to their level with their skills and techniques.

That's what I'd love to try out.

Of course, my goals will change. But right now, for relatively short term, I wanna prove a point.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
The thought of challenging someone who is big, muscular, AND is a great boxer is terrifying. Not a good idea for me, even for some light sparring.

This might sound cowardly but I'll only challenge the smaller folks first, testing the waters and see where I'm at. Of course I won't challenge the small AND UNSKILLED fighters. That's just stupid. Rather, I'll challenge the ones I think I can overwhelm with sheer athleticism but nowhere near to their level with their skills and techniques.

Of course, my goals will change. But right now, for relatively short term, I wanna prove a point.
So you want to prove yourself.....by fighting smaller people than you....okay lol...that’s not how boxing works. You fight people your weight class because that’s what makes it fair. You go into a gym and say no I only want to fight smaller people than me then well let’s just say you won’t make many friends there

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If you roll up to a gym you will challenge who you are told to challenge. If you fight you will challenge at a weight class. Which if you are a muscle boy will be a guy who has a much bigger frame generally.

A good way to get murdered in a boxing gym is to try to beat up a small guy.

So here is Jack maclin who because he is a beanpole always towers above his oponants.
20201007_060159.jpg

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So you want to prove yourself.....by fighting smaller people than you....okay lol

I wanna prove to the world that technique won't save you from being weak. Everyone needs to lift weights save for ultra-endurance athletes where gaining muscle is a severe disadvantage.

I'm a fan of Brock Lesnar.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wanna prove to the world that technique won't save you from being weak. Everyone needs to lift weights save for ultra-endurance athletes where gaining muscle is a severe disadvantage.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score

You’re a fan of a man with a record of 5-3 who’s fueled up with steroids.....how did his ufc debut go?....he tried using his strength then got tapped out by a much smaller man because wait for it.....that man had better technique so was able to beat him...

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Worlds strongest man (so a guy with much bigger muscles than you’ll ever have ) vs a lightweight and guess what the lightweight pieced him up

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you actually think you know more than experienced fighters and coaches
Yes I do.
[...]
THE ONLY knowledge that these boxing coaches have of value is teaching technique and certain MOTOR SKILLS.
[...]
I can train a better boxer than them.
[...]
I may end up having to swallow my own words, but I'd bet against it.
And all from a guy who says he's not even taken his first boxing lesson yet. Amazing!

Gents, after reading this, I think we might as well have just clicked on the Rick Astley link.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
. You enjoy your weight lifting that’s great good on you. By all means keep doing it it’s a great thing to do but you thinking you can go in and dominate in boxing by lifting weights is like me saying my martial arts training will help me walk onto the tennis courts and beat pros....you want to be a boxer you need to check your ego because I guarantee you go into sparring with the attitude you have you are going to get tuned up. Sure you’ll probably lift more than those guys but in the boxing ring they’ll beat you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I have to go find something that you'll likely relate to, that might better explain my reasoning on this. Check back in a couple hours if you would.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'll respond to all of you here with a YouTube video. I already have one in my channel, but that one is directed to my friends in FF14 and distant relatives. This time, it'll be to address all of you in this thread.

And just so you all know, literally just yesterday, my first time squatting with full effort after THREE YEARS of ZERO LIFTING with NOTHING BUT CARDIO THESE PAST MONTHS, I squatted 295 pounds for five reps. You'll be mesmerised by the handicap I put myself when squatting.

I once made my squat jump from 335 to 405 in TWO MONTHS and just quit afterwards after proving a point.

Really, on matters of genes, I'm world class with leg strength. I'll squat 500 in six months of training (I'm betting). And because I have to do cardio, I won't aim for 600 if it requires me to have to specialize for it. But you'll see what a 500-pound squat PUNCHING POWER looks like in a heavy bag once my coach successfully teaches me good technique. I won't be able to apply it in matches of course, but on the bag I'll be able to do it.

Again, my next response to all of you in this thread will be through a YouTube video.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'll respond to all of you here with a YouTube video. I already have one in my channel, but that one is directed to my friends in FF14 and distant relatives. This time, it'll be to address all of you in this thread.

And just so you all know, literally just yesterday, my first time squatting with full effort after THREE YEARS of ZERO LIFTING with NOTHING BUT CARDIO THESE PAST MONTHS, I squatted 295 pounds for five reps. You'll be mesmerised by the handicap I put myself when squatting.

I once made my squat jump from 335 to 405 in TWO MONTHS and just quit afterwards after proving a point.

Really, on matters of genes, I'm world class with leg strength. I'll squat 500 in six months of training (I'm betting). And because I have to do cardio, I won't aim for 600 if it requires me to have to specialize for it. But you'll see what a 500-pound squat PUNCHING POWER looks like in a heavy bag once my coach successfully teaches me good technique. I won't be able to apply it in matches of course, but on the bag I'll be able to do it.

Again, my next response to all of you in this thread will be through a YouTube video.
Man you have a big ego. You did that stuff? Okay good for you respect but no I’m not mesmerized because honestly weight lifting numbers don’t matter to me. You do that stuff and that’s great good for you it’s good to exercise. but that’s weight lifting....not boxing...They’re 2 completely different things. Is their some overlap? Yeah sure but not enough to make a huge impact.

This entire thread you have said you don’t need your legs to punch that’s what this thread was about are you ready to admit you were wrong about that? Because you seem to have dropped that subject and now talking about how weight lifting is the be all and end all of boxing training.

no one is saying you won’t be able to hit hard not a single person. But there’s way way more to fighting than hitting hard. If you go into a fight swinging your mesmerizing arms around with your chin up in the air and your feet together you’ll be looking up at the lights very quick.

can you take a punch? Because you will get punched and not everyone reacts well to being punched will you continue to fight or curl up and turn away?

How will you react when tired. Because you will get tired no matter how good your cardio is you will be tired. Will you stop throwing anything or will your hands drop to your waste and you stop moving around the ring.

Will you have the sense to change your game up when things are going wrong or just keep fighting the same strategy when you’re losing.

will you have some early success and go after the guy like crazy but he uses his footwork and defense to survive and escape will you punch yourself out trying to finish it off and then have no stamina for the rest of the fight?

these are all very real things to consider in the ring, much more than just “can I hit harder than them “

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will learn what you can teach me about certain skills and techniques.

Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless. Bruce Lee said that as you probably already know. What most boxing coaches "know" (including you, very likely) about strength and conditioning is complete garbage. However, I will use you to advance my development as a boxer by grabbing what you will give me in terms of certain drills and technique development tactics.

I'm excited to enter a boxing gym, to be honest.

ive seen girly girls squat 350 lbs

i know your trying to impress us , but these are not big numbers for anyone who has been doing stengh trainibg for a few months

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its pretty much habit to put some bodyweight/leg twist into your punching. But upperbody strengh (as thats where most of those muscles are located) would aid in punching strength. The legs seem like auxilary pieces in punching. You use them to put more bodyweight and force behind a punch but you can punch without using them. But most of the muscle usage comes from the upper body im pretty sure and most of the force does.

You can build up suffcient muscles for punching, but just using a heavy bag, when i used to routinely use mine my arm muslces increased a bit. You also probbly shouldnt use full force bare knuckled at all to mitigate the chances of you breaking your hand on their skull or elbows or if you miss and hit something. If you look at hood fights, they only do a full force punch when they are pretty sure they can land the hit. they sort of just power jab box after that. (there is always one that effectively comes in and one hit knocks out like 3 people though) Preservation of knuckles is probbly important if you might have to fight other people, cant afford surgery, and might get jumped the next day because of a fight that day.

Addendum: im pretty sure i get the overall point that the bulk of punching power and muscle usage comes from the upper body. The lower body just puts bodyweight behind punches/leverages them. But moving your legs for leverage etc is pretty much the standard for punching, you have to do it to get decnetly powerful strikes and good strikes. Or to even punch with your rear hand properly.

I got taught they were the primary colours, what are the primary colours then? Its been many years since i have had to do any academic art, or for primary colours to matter.
In light, red-green-blue. In pigment, cyan-magenta-yellow (and black, in practice).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It only takes about three pounds of pressure to break an elbow. All the muscles in the world won't help you throw a power punch if that arm is broken
I’d be interested in seeing a source for that 3 lbs. comment. I’m pretty sure I could suspend a 15 lb. weight from my elbow in a lock without an issue.

Latest Discussions