Look... Can't we all just agree that PUNCHING POWER is just a matter of upper-body strength?

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok.. good luck with that. Feel free to post your first ever sparring session so you can prove us wrong by you dominating these boxers with your weight lifting skills

I'll give it my all.

To be fair though, it's not like I won't try to learn technique. I still will. But most of my training hours will be lifting heavy iron and maximizing endurance.

Also, folks, don't imagine me walking into a boxing gym thinking myself awesome. Of course not. I'm just here to prove a point, not lord my superiority without first proving a point.

My point basically is this... You can get away with reasonably bad technique if your strength, athleticism, and endurance is high. THAT'S what I want to demonstrate. And it is also a prettier ratio. Minimal technique with great physicality is way more entertaining than ultimate technique with a soyboy physique.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My point basically is this... You can get away with reasonably bad technique if your strength, athleticism, and endurance is high. THAT'S what I want to demonstrate. And it is also a prettier ratio. Minimal technique with great physicality is way more entertaining than ultimate technique with a soyboy physique.
And everyone else' point is "you don't have enough experience to know." You are the guy who just posted on Sept 15, less than a month ago, that you didn't yet have a boxing coach, that you didn't even know how to punch a bag yet. But, still, here you are, with all of 1/2 a month of training (I hope it's that much), making pronouncements about how to make the most out of punching.

You'll forgive me if that leaves me a bit bemused and amused. You're the same guy who asked about people's fantasy fights and still ridiculed some other person about what you assumed, incorrectly, was a fantasy about training.

Now you're starting thread after thread about stuff from "what can I actually accomplish in competition" to "sex appeal in martial arts."

I don't wanna squash your enthusiasm, but... man... Ya think maybe you could stick to making pronouncements about things you actually have experience with?

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And everyone else' point is "you don't have enough experience to know." You are the guy who just posted on Sept 15, less than a month ago, that you didn't yet have a boxing coach, that you didn't even know how to punch a bag yet. But, still, here you are, with all of 1/2 a month of training (I hope it's that much), making pronouncements about how to make the most out of punching.

You'll forgive me if that leaves me a bit bemused and amused. You're the same guy who asked about people's fantasy fights and still ridiculed some other person about what you assumed, incorrectly, was a fantasy about training.

Now you're starting thread after thread about stuff from "what can I actually accomplish in competition" to "sex appeal in martial arts."

I don't wanna squash your enthusiasm, but... man... Ya think maybe you could stick to making pronouncements about things you actually have experience with?

It won't make me look good.

What do I say? That I got my butt handed to me when I was 14 years old thinking I'm the best before that moment?

Not that it happened.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll give it my all.

To be fair though, it's not like I won't try to learn technique. I still will. But most of my training hours will be lifting heavy iron and maximizing endurance.

Also, folks, don't imagine me walking into a boxing gym thinking myself awesome. Of course not. I'm just here to prove a point, not lord my superiority without first proving a point.

this is just you first thread rehashed

upper body stengh is a great asset, go train, no ive seen is saying dont

pubching as im sure a isaid last time has a number of factors, first and most importantly you need to be able to hit them, then you need to be able to hit them with out gettibg hit, if you can do that you will win all your fights

then and only then does your punching power become important,

strengh is an impirtant asset in that, but useless if yoyve already been kbocked out

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dude I'm almost 29.

The heck's wrong with you??

Brian, I envy you. I really do. Learning is so much more fun than knowing. It really is. You're in a position to learn so very much in the upcoming years. May you enjoy the experience. Sincerely.

As for being almost 29, my first impression was one of my nephew when I asked him how old he was. He told me he was eight and a half. I envy him, too.

At what age did you start lifting? Did you love it right from the start?

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At what age did you start lifting? Did you love it right from the start?

Bro... Let me put it this way...

The emotional sensation I felt as the naked lady who took away my virginity as she sat on my lap on that couch, allowing me to touch her in every way... Is the same level of bliss and comfort I felt as the first time I gripped a barbell to lift it from ground to over my head, Olympic style.

There is no greater joy. It was me with my minimum wage job spending my money on nothing but my childhood passion. There was no annoying metal music or idiot peers yelling at me. It's just me becoming merged with that piece of metal. I would shed the blood of a thousand kittens just to be with that same feeling once more, in a perfect paradise better than this planet.

This is me at that time...

(Edit: I was nineteen at that time. So ten years ago.)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The emotional sensation I felt as the naked lady who took away my virginity as she sat on my lap on that couch, allowing me to touch her in every way... Is the same level of bliss and comfort I felt as the first time I gripped a barbell to lift it from ground to over my head, Olympic style.

There is no greater joy. It was me with my minimum wage job spending my money on nothing but my childhood passion. There was no annoying metal music or idiot peers yelling at me. It's just me becoming merged with that piece of metal. I would shed the blood of a thousand kittens just to be with that same feeling once more, in a perfect paradise better than this planet.

well ehy not do it, 200lbs clean and jerk is that impresive to be honest, i can do that and im old

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Do you think you can implement the same passion you have for lifting into other avenues of interest?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That's terrific, you're going to love all there is to learn about striking and all of it's related aspects.

As an aside, I don't want you to think I'm not in favor of lifting. We've been lifting for over forty years. So, a little longer than you have.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'll give it my all.

No you can’t that’s just facts, you can’t get away with it. Your muscles won’t do a damm thing when you’re getting punched in the face repeatedly because you’re flat footed and can’t move around because your footwork is poor or you’re getting smacked around because you’re not keeping your guard up.

this whole thread is you telling everyone to believe your theory that punches are all about arm strength well no because you’re wrong it’s not a debatable subject because it’s just wrong. There’s a reason every single boxing coach on earth says power of your punch comes from your legs. Do you actually think you know more than experienced fighters and coaches

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No you can’t that’s just facts, you can’t get away with it. Your muscles won’t do a damm thing when you’re getting punched in the face repeatedly because you’re flat footed and can’t move around because your footwork is poor or you’re getting smacked around because you’re not keeping your guard up.

this whole thread is you telling everyone to believe your theory that punches are all about arm strength well no because you’re wrong it’s not a debatable subject because it’s just wrong. There’s a reason every single boxing coach on earth says power of your punch comes from your legs. Do you actually think you know more than experienced fighters and coaches

Yes I do. The only value these coaches have is their knowledge of specific skills to be trained and empirical knowledge of proven but outdated strength + conditioning methods. Except the latter is not a compliment, which leaves the former. Meaning THE ONLY knowledge that these boxing coaches have of value is teaching technique and certain MOTOR SKILLS.

I'm not even an exercise scientist but I can train a better boxer than them. NOT in the skills and technique department, mind you, but FITNESS and STRENGTH.

I'll combine the best of both worlds and show people that there is a better way to train boxers than making them do useless jump ropes.

I won't show this kind of arrogance to my boxing coach, but unless he refrains from prescribing plyometrics to infantiles in their strength levels, I would have ZERO RESPECT for him IN THAT DEPARTMENT. I'll absorb what he can teach me with boxing, no doubt, but deep inside I will tune out everything he tells me about strength and conditioning unless he gained the knowledge from his own experience (which is the easy way out for those who are not lifting-savvy).

I may end up having to swallow my own words, but I'd bet against it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes I do. The only value these coaches have is their knowledge of specific skills to be trained and empirical knowledge of proven but outdated strength + conditioning methods. Except the latter is not a compliment, which leaves the former. Meaning THE ONLY knowledge that these boxing coaches have of value is teaching technique and certain MOTOR SKILLS.

I'm not even an exercise scientist but I can train a better boxer than them. NOT in the skills and technique department, mind you, but FITNESS and STRENGTH.

I'll combine the best of both worlds and show people that there is a better way to train boxers than making them do useless jump ropes.

I won't show this kind of arrogance to my boxing coach, but unless he refrains from prescribing plyometrics to infantiles in their strength levels, I would have ZERO RESPECT for him IN THAT DEPARTMENT. I'll absorb what he can teach me with boxing, no doubt, but deep inside I will tune out everything he tells me about strength and conditioning unless he gained the knowledge from his own experience (which is the easy way out for those who are not lifting-savvy).

tour not going to get taken seriously as a strengh coach if you can only lift 200 lbs

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score

Lol the guy with no training knows more than boxing coaches about boxing. Oh wow this is priceless. Skipping is to work on footwork and keeping light on your toes and coordination All VERY important parts of boxing and something that you need if you don’t want to get knocked around like a heavy bag. Sorry but you literally said you’ll tune out from your coach...well as a coach myself let me say this....don’t waste his time If you won’t even listen. As coaches we want to work with people who want to listen and learn not know it all’s who won’t even listen.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lol the guy with no training knows more than boxing coaches about boxing. Oh wow this is priceless. Skipping is to work on footwork and keeping light on your toes and coordination All VERY important parts of boxing and something that you need if you don’t want to get knocked around like a heavy bag. Sorry but you literally said you’ll tune out from your coach...well as a coach myself let me say this....don’t waste his time If you won’t even listen. As coaches we want to work with people who want to listen and learn not know it all’s who won’t even listen.

I will learn what you can teach me about certain skills and techniques.

Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless. Bruce Lee said that as you probably already know. What most boxing coaches "know" (including you, very likely) about strength and conditioning is complete garbage. However, I will use you to advance my development as a boxer by grabbing what you will give me in terms of certain drills and technique development tactics.

I'm excited to enter a boxing gym, to be honest.

Latest Discussions