Live-in Full-time Training?

korric

White Belt
Reaction score
There are various live-in schools in China in which one can train Kung Fu full-time (I attended Kunyu Shan from 2013-2014). I liked the intensity of this, but it requires quite a bit of lead-time and expense to fly to China for this. Is anybody aware of anything similar in the U.S? I work for a school system, so I generally have summers off, and would like to do something like this again for a month or two, but it would be much more convenient to find something similar in the U.S.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe Yang Jwing-Ming did or does have something going in Northern California. I do not know if he does short stints or a month or two. It was my understanding that he required a ten year commitment for a full program of training. My suspicion is that given how much foundational training is required to properly learn the Chinese martial arts, a short stint would be seen as unlikely to be meaningful in the long term.

At any rate, look him up on google and see if he is still running that program. I believe it would be northern Shaolin, Fukien white crane, and taiji.

OP
K

korric

White Belt
Reaction score
Agreed, it's not that a month or two will turn me into a great martial artist. It's more that after a month of such intensive training there was a noticeable increase in strength, flexibility, and general fitness. I also noticed such a difference after two months of U.S. Army basic training. I want such a thing to be in context of martial arts as I'm much more motivated to work out to improve martial arts ability rather than working out for its own sake. A year of training in China made a hell of a difference in fitness and martial arts ability, but I'm not able to take a full year off again at this point.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed, it's not that a month or two will turn me into a great martial artist. It's more that after a month of such intensive training there was a noticeable increase in strength, flexibility, and general fitness. I also noticed such a difference after two months of U.S. Army basic training. I want such a thing to be in context of martial arts as I'm much more motivated to work out to improve martial arts ability rather than working out for its own sake. A year of training in China made a hell of a difference in fitness and martial arts ability, but I'm not able to take a full year off again at this point.
Yeah, most people don’t have that kind of time to take for training. I always wished I could, but life obligations never made it possible. Good luck, let us know what you find.

OP
K

korric

White Belt
Reaction score
Will do. I googled Yang Jwing-Ming and the price for a month there was approximately three times the cost to fly to China and do it there.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A year of training in China made a hell of a difference in fitness and martial arts ability, but I'm not able to take a full year off again at this point.
I have not done for a whole year, but I had done for 3 months. During the 1st summer vacation of my senior high, I had trained 6 hours daily, 6 days weekly for 3 months. That was good to build MA foundation. Dr. Yang (my long fist brother) had gone through that training himself. I believe that was why he started his California training camp.

Latest Discussions