little green dots and 'rep power'

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kosher food - You or your family must be jewish I take it.

So yeah - i could grab one of my Jewish friends at University - or you as a new friend and you could give me some ideas! :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After I do the site upgrade next week (hopefully) I'll tackle the clarity issue here. It's just a matter of doing some changes to the icons.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do you drive? How do you recognize the correct traffic light?

Little known facts about traffic lights.

If the light is vertical, the red is on top and the green is on the bottom. If the light is horizontal, the red is on the left and the green is on the right.

Also, the red light isn't red to me. It's orange. The green light isn't green, it's blue-white. So there you go.

However, I do have trouble with four-way intersections that are controlled by one single flashing light suspended over the middle of the intersection. Some flash red, meaning stop and then go, and some flash yellow, meaning look both ways, but don't stop. I can't tell which it is - red or yellow. I try to take my cue from other cars - if they stop, I stop. If they don't, I don't. If there are no other cars, I stop. My wife is often my copilot and she knows to tell me when I'm approaching one I've never been to before.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You've got red-green color blindness, dont ya? I heard thats like the most common one.

Yes, but I've got it pretty bad. I fail 13 of the 15 tests with the colored dots where you are supposed to see a number on the screen.

Hah. I get a question like that too, except people ask me, "What/how do you eat?" I feel your pain Bill, I'm wheat/gluten AND lactose intolerant. Its hard living in a world where you are a member of a minority group and the world is (mostly) made for the majority.

Being severely color-blind has a couple advantages. We color-blind people all see better at night than most people, and we take our cues from movement, shadow, and texture, not color - so camouflage doesn't tend to fool us. We make good snipers - check it out, the military recruits color-blind people to train as snipers.

It sucks to be a color-blind photographer, though. Thank goodness for digital.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You shouldn't run into too many flashing 4 way red lights like that -- for just that reason. Or at least there should also be stop signs at the intersection...

But if you're ever in doubt, or a traffic light is out (like no electricity) -- the law says treat it like a 4 way stop. Of course... since most of the other drivers are gonna do whatever they darn well wanna anyway... good luck!

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Little known facts about traffic lights.

If the light is vertical, the red is on top and the green is on the bottom. If the light is horizontal, the red is on the left and the green is on the right.

Also, the red light isn't red to me. It's orange. The green light isn't green, it's blue-white. So there you go.

:) I figured something like that.

Up here I can't recall ever seeing a vertical traffic light, so being colourblind and finding one for the first time would be fun.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:) I figured something like that.

Up here I can't recall ever seeing a vertical traffic light, so being colourblind and finding one for the first time would be fun.

Most lights in the US are vertical. Except in Texas and a couple other states, where they might be vertical and might be horizontal.

The red light also tends to be bigger than the green one, regardless of orientation, but that's not always true.

And with the advent of LED traffic lights, it is even more confusing. They are not the same 'shade' as traditional bulbs. This means that they look like completely different colors to us color-blind folk.

Hey, the most fun is lining up when I'm visiting a different dojo. The brown belts and the green belts look like the same belt to me. How much fun is that?

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, but I've got it pretty bad. I fail 13 of the 15 tests with the colored dots where you are supposed to see a number on the screen.

Being severely color-blind has a couple advantages. We color-blind people all see better at night than most people, and we take our cues from movement, shadow, and texture, not color - so camouflage doesn't tend to fool us. We make good snipers - check it out, the military recruits color-blind people to train as snipers.

thats the spirit =] My food allergies have advantages too. as wheat/gluten foods and most junk foods have wheat and stuff that can make you fat......you can finish the sentence. I'll most likely never be fat. :)

The fact I have a slight balance problem is an advantage in the MA as it forces me to work more on my stances like zenkutsu dachi and kokutsu dachi. The other karateka havent got that problem. as such they are not so likely to spend much time perfecting stances and they might drop it in favor of some fun attractive Bunkai or something. In the end, it made me a better Shotokanka (and it showed in the competition as i got the highest score)

(but you didnt hear that from me a little bird told you ok if your sensei or Dai Soke or sifu is interested to know how the heck you got so good so shhhhh) :p

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Seriously now, if you're colorblind, how do you know to call what you see as blue-white? Ignorant as I may be, I don't see how you'd have a reference point to achieve that shared reality. Enlighten me?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Seriously now, if you're colorblind, how do you know to call what you see as blue-white? Ignorant as I may be, I don't see how you'd have a reference point to achieve that shared reality. Enlighten me?
LOL.. just because he can't see green or red doesn't mean he can't see any color. Are you seriously calling him out on being color blind? :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think you have been reading the posts.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_doctor/colourblindness.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/mens_health/issues_colour.shtml

"Being colour blind rarely means a person can't see the colours at all. Instead, they have trouble differentiating between red and green colours of a similar tone. They may be able to tell a bright apple green from a postbox red, while muddling more similar shades. The degree of colour blindness varies."

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Color-blindness is not what people think it is. I can see colors - I can sometimes identify them correctly. But it depends very much on the shade. Some green I see as green. Some green I see as red or orange. I've been shown wild red roses growing on a bush and I had no idea the flowers were even there - the flowers and the leaves were the same color to me. Yet, I have seen red roses and they looked red. Different shade.

I also see blue-white. So when I say some green lights look blue-white to me, I mean that I know it looks blue-white, and I know there are no blue-white traffic lights, so that means it is green. I can't help that it does not look green to me.

I know it doesn't make sense to a person with normal color vision. When I tell people I'm color-blind, the first thing they say is "Oh yeah? What color is this? How about this? What color is that?" It's like they think I'm lying. I'm not sure why people react this way. It's like it ticks them off, since they're not color-blind, they can't grasp how anyone could be.

I've also had people try to TEACH me colors by saying the color loud and slow as if I were mentally challenged instead of color-blind. "This is green. G-R-E-E-N." Yeah, thanks. That cleared it right up.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL.. just because he can't see green or red doesn't mean he can't see any color. Are you seriously calling him out on being color blind? :D

It's cool, thanks, but I'm used to it. You'd be surprised how many people are hostile towards color-blind people because they're sure we're lying. It's like telling someone who has never had a migraine headache how bad one hurts. Oh sure, they say. Why don't you take an aspirin, you whiner? If a person has never experienced a migraine or being color-blind, they can't quite get their mental processes around it - which means it isn't real.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's cool, thanks, but I'm used to it. You'd be surprised how many people are hostile towards color-blind people because they're sure we're lying. It's like telling someone who has never had a migraine headache how bad one hurts. Oh sure, they say. Why don't you take an aspirin, you whiner? If a person has never experienced a migraine or being color-blind, they can't quite get their mental processes around it - which means it isn't real.

That is really mad! What strange people!

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh migraines.....they can be bad. One of my best friends at univ has them and she sometimes get them so bad she literally can pass out and hit the floor. She told me all about so that I would know what to do if it happened while we were hanging out. Thankfully it never did. Migraines I know are not like normal headaches so my friend couldnt 'take an aspirin' like i or you can.

same thing with people in wheelchairs. they'll sometimes be talked to like they're mentally challenged. Or deaf people who have an interpreter. people will talk to the interpreter instead of to them. I dont do that. its rude. I talk to the person themselves and look at them.

btw about my topic of little green dots, I imagine that you dont get them very often. It seems like putting a thanks on the bottom of a post u like is much more commonly done that giving out rep points. Is it because rep points are taken more seriously and its harder to get them? Like you dont have to work as hard to get thanked on the bottom of your post but you have to work harder if you want someone to give u rep point? Idk. Thats just what it seems like to me.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's easier to thank someone 1 click vs 3, and more obvious. Reps private, thanks are public. We use both systems for fun. I rarely give or get rep but I do issue a lot of thanks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best thing is not to 'work' at your posts, just say what you think (within reason lol) honestly and people will either agree or disagree. Sometimes you like the way they disagree with you, which I enjoy, a good clean intelligent argument, sometimes though they decide you are hell's spawn lol.
All you can do is be yourself, it's the internet so you could pretend you are all sorts of things but it's not worth it because in the end the only person you're really lying to is yourself. Just post what you think and feel and enjoy!

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Haha.. sorry if I came across assish. I'm a little colorblind (the red on green thing--never ask me to pick raspberries). The fact that Bill sees enough color to be able to "fill in the blanks" as it were is the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks, Bill. (I am intensely curious and it often times gets me into trouble.)

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, anyway. I give out lots of thanks to people, but do you have to have rep to give rep? I haven't yet noticed any way to give rep to others.

Edit: Oh, curiosity got me going. Found the little scale in the upper-right corner!