little green dots and 'rep power'

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen that on the right of my posts and under other peoples too when they post, what do they mean?.......i got one dot and others have many, green, gold, red......what do the colors mean also? Just curious.

Thanks,

~ Blade ~

Awe, shucks. Found the sticky, sorry, NM guys. you can delete this.

Im sorry about that! :( so sorry

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well first it means if you have greater than 1 orange dot.. you.. are.. an... MT.... GOD!!!!! :D

just kidding.

Click your Users CP and you will see how many people have given you a reputation for a post... it is just another kind of thank you not to be taken to seriously. Just a nice way for people telling you the appreciate your post

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm color-blind, I did not know they were different colors. I always thought that they meant how big my, er, bidness is. I wondered how they knew.

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well first it means if you have greater than 1 orange dot.. you.. are.. an... MT.... GOD!!!!! :D

well you must be a god then. Cause you have 3. :)

xue sheng said:
Click your Users CP and you will see how many people have given you a reputation for a post... it is just another kind of thank you not to be taken to seriously. Just a nice way for people telling you the appreciate your post

So thats what those are! I saw them but never knew what they were....Thanks! :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Took me a lot longer than you to even see them! :) I always thought that people were referring to "thanks" and rep as the same thing. Imagine my surprise to find that they're completely different!

So, when someone posts something that you like, you can thank them or rep them... or both. Or neither. Or you can rep them... then thank them. Then shake it all about. Then do the hokey pokey while you turn.... Wait. Sorry. I got mixed up.

The other side of this is that you can negative rep someone who's making a complete *** of him or herself... in your opinion. :) Ultimately, like the stock market, while bad stocks might do well in the short term and good stocks might tank briefly, the market almost always rights itself. Thoughtful, insightful, and fair posters will slowly accrue green blips while argumentative, negative posters will gain more red.

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Took me a lot longer than you to even see them! :) I always thought that people were referring to "thanks" and rep as the same thing. Imagine my surprise to find that they're completely different!

ya, i thought the same. that you thank someone and that's how you rep them.

SteveBJJ said:
So, when someone posts something that you like, you can thank them or rep them... or both. Or neither. Or you can rep them... then thank them. Then shake it all about. Then do the hokey pokey while you turn.... Wait. Sorry. I got mixed up.

Heh. I laughed out loud at this =]

SteveBJJ said:
The other side of this is that you can negative rep someone who's making a complete *** of him or herself... in your opinion. :) Ultimately, like the stock market, while bad stocks might do well in the short term and good stocks might tank briefly, the market almost always rights itself. Thoughtful, insightful, and fair posters will slowly accrue green blips while argumentative, negative posters will gain more red.

Thats a nice idea. That'll let little white belts who just join the forum know who is on the way to getting their wings and who to be careful of. :)

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
It took me forever to actually discover on my user CP all the reps people had given me. It made a nice read, very heartwarming. Although apparently one person who liked one of my posts accidentally gave me a negative rep for it, which is also amusing. :)

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
It took me forever to actually discover on my user CP all the reps people had given me. It made a nice read, very heartwarming. Although apparently one person who liked one of my posts accidentally gave me a negative rep for it, which is also amusing. :)

i read my little few. And they're very sweet. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nice when you get pos rep, my neg reps have all been weird lol! I don't mind neg rep as long as I can understand whats being said but some of mine are just very strange!

Still if I sit down on a bus or train the loony always sits next to me, at the supermarket check out I get them talking to me, people like me because of that, it saves them having the loony next to them!!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's nice when you get pos rep, my neg reps have all been weird lol! I don't mind neg rep as long as I can understand whats being said but some of mine are just very strange!

Still if I sit down on a bus or train the loony always sits next to me, at the supermarket check out I get them talking to me, people like me because of that, it saves them having the loony next to them!!

I guess I'm lucky - I can't tell the difference between the pos and neg reps. Same color to my color-blind eyes. I guess I'll never get angry at anyone, I can never figure out which they gave me. Unless there is some other way to tell besides color.

Designers who don't take color-blindness into account when they design systems tick me off. I have trouble getting through the security gates at work. When the card works, it blinks a green light and you go through. When it doesn't work, it blinks a red light and you can't. Trouble is, I can't tell which is which, and by the time I try to go through the turnstile and find I can't, I've got two ticked-off guys behind me trying to get into the building too and now they're locked out for five minutes because they got a 'green' and did not enter the building, and it punishes them by keeping them out for five minutes. I hate it, and they think it's my fault, but I CANNOT TELL WHAT COLOR THE LIGHT IS!

Sorry, rant over.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that. I'll see if it's something fixable on our end.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that. I'll see if it's something fixable on our end.

Hey, I didn't mean you, Bob. I meant the people who make the forum software and the flashy lights for go and no-go, etc. Nobody ever takes color-vision into account, which is weird considering how large the percentage of (mostly men) who are color blind happens to be.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, I didn't mean you, Bob. I meant the people who make the forum software and the flashy lights for go and no-go, etc. Nobody ever takes color-vision into account, which is weird considering how large the percentage of (mostly men) who are color blind happens to be.

How do you drive? How do you recognize the correct traffic light?

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

You've got red-green color blindness, dont ya? I heard thats like the most common one.

How do you drive?

Hah. I get a question like that too, except people ask me, "What/how do you eat?" I feel your pain Bill, I'm wheat/gluten AND lactose intolerant. Its hard living in a world where you are a member of a minority group and the world is (mostly) made for the majority.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got red-green color blindness, dont ya? I heard thats like the most common one.

Hah. I get a question like that too, except people ask me, "What/how do you eat?" I feel your pain Bill, I'm wheat/gluten AND lactose intolerant. Its hard living in a world where you are a member of a minority group and the world is (mostly) made for the majority.

I eat kosher which means not mixing dairy with meat so have loads of recipes that are totally non dairy, might be worth having a look for kosher recipes for that part of your diet?

See, it's very rare a thread on MT doesn't turn up some interesting things!

Latest Discussions