Literally just got headbutted, cannot believe it!

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, talk about the un-expected! I was in the university nightclub which is generally extremely tame and has a very good record of almost next to zero fights and I happen to walk into the toliets and get headbutted!
The story being that tonight is the night that all the sports teams and societies get together to go out and have a laugh and a drink and to generally meet each other!
Very stupid on my part I got very drunk! I was having a good night out then of course I need the toliet (for about the fourth time that night) I happen to walk in there, and as i walk in, a guy literally grabs me and starts shoving me around, he's very drunk. Then one of his mates comes along and starts strangling me from behind hard until he loosenes his grip, at this time I have absoutely no idea whats going on apart from the fact I was trying to get out of there since I was very drunk! Next moment I know (now I think about it my hands must have been held) one of his mates comes along and starts headbutting me purposely! Then I manage to break free and get out the door! After five minutes I pluck up the courage to tell the doorman inside, who gives a description of a guy that sounds familar, they take me out back, and call loads of other bouncers in to go and find this guy whilst asking me if I want to make a statement. I refuse purely on the grounds that I cant remember my assilants because of my condition and dont want to put some innocent guy on the spot if I get it wrong! Im told that they may have been part of the rugby team that got extremely drunk!
Now I've sobering up, I feel humilated that;
a) I was that drunk, and something I dont think I'm ever going to do again, I couldnt even recognise the people that did it!
b) I didnt do anything, I have a degree of pride in calling myself a martial artist and my state didnt allow me to think or act properly, it made me realise how much danger it can put me in!
c) Im on a Police course, and that rubs it in a bit!

In essence its not so much the personal pride that hits, its the fact that I let myself get to that state, that I couldnt and didnt fight back!
What should I do? Your comments?

Regards

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll just simply fall back to one of my stock edicts for living, "There are no mistakes in life, only lessons."

It sounds like this lesson left an impression...unfortunately into your forehead. Glad you're okay.

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks! This is one time that I am really truely thinking about giving up drinking for good! Or limiting it to a certain amount, say two! Im not sure! Still a bit confused about everything at the moment! Cant believe it happened really!

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Thanks! This is one time that I am really truely thinking about giving up drinking for good! Or limiting it to a certain amount, say two! Im not sure! Still a bit confused about everything at the moment! Cant believe it happened really!

I must say, if im gonna drink a bit, I will do it at home or at a friends place...but I wont do it in a public place, I just dont think its safe to get plastered with a couple hundred people ya dont know.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You could try training while you're drunk maybe.........I do it........

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just glad you're ok.

True, martial arts and alcohol don't mix. Not only can't you use your skills, but you lose all Situational Awareness. Lesson learned. You have a good idea of limiting it to two, especially if you're going into law enforcement.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's just a tad odd how random this attack seems. Maybe you hit on the wrong girl and forgot about it.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Glad to hear you are OK. Life will teach us many lessons, hopefully in most of them we can survive and learn from it.

Even in high school we were told by friends the only way we can enjoy our selves was to get drunk to have fun????? College kids and many people still believe this to be true. Our society except this a exceptable behavior. We allow anyone to drink themselves drunk. Just to have fun?????

If you need to drink or take dope just to have fun? You are not fun to be with.....think about it. Why people drink? Make a list.......me I rather go fishing...................movies, commecials, makes people think this is the only way to have more fun? .............sorry guys just my thoughts.....some of the people I use to hang out with only wanted to go drinking. Today they cannot stop......and I no longer want to be near them........stay clean.......Aloha

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
It's just a tad odd how random this attack seems. Maybe you hit on the wrong girl and forgot about it.

I don't believe it's odd as some people are just out for a bit of harmless fun or so they believe till drink takes it's toll.

Corporal Hicks I believe there is a lesson to be learnt here and you have learnt it.

Awareness of your environment is paramount and sometime that is knowing when your environment is just not the safest of places to be.

Hope your ok and remember life is a series of lessons from which we should learn.

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:

I actually have no idea why, I didnt hit on any girls! It maybe because I walked in and I just seemed like the most convient person to attack, or just went in at the wrong time. I know at least one was on the rugby who were playing drinking games earlier! You maybe right, I have no idea!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry this happened CH. We all find ourselves in situations we would rather not have happened at some time in our lives. They're called mistakes. Wise people learn from them. Fools repeat them. Sounds like you've learned something. Regret and humiliation can be powerful teachers. Good luck with your studies and police course. :asian:

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
Sorry this happened CH. We all find ourselves in situations we would rather not have happened at some time in our lives. They're called mistakes. Wise people learn from them. Fools repeat them. Sounds like you've learned something. Regret and humiliation can be powerful teachers. Good luck with your studies and police course. :asian:

Thanks! Thanks for the replies everybody!
I guess this is the way to learn! In a sense Im glad this happened, because it could have been so much worse! I've made the decision not to have anymore than 2 on a night out which leaves me pretty much still in total control as well as being sociable!
I've also made the decision to intensify and change my training, as its truely a learning experience!
Anybody else had an similar experiences that have made you think?
Regards

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you're ok! Any time you enter a place where alcohol is being served, the potential for trouble is always going to be there. I realize that you were out having a good time with friends, but you may want to watch how much you consume. Not saying to not have a drink, but don't get to the point where its having that much of an effect.

Mike

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
I must say, if im gonna drink a bit, I will do it at home or at a friends place...but I wont do it in a public place, I just dont think its safe to get plastered with a couple hundred people ya dont know.

This is my rule as well. I like to go out and play some pool, but I had this lesson driven into my face with an elbow that was almost completely random.

I got in trouble for talking to the wrong girl - who happened to be the bartender! Hard to order drinks without talking to the bartender. :rolleyes:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CorporalHicks, glad to hear you are OK.

Jonathan Randall said:
I'm just glad you're ok.

True, martial arts and alcohol don't mix. Not only can't you use your skills, but you lose all Situational Awareness. Lesson learned. You have a good idea of limiting it to two, especially if you're going into law enforcement.
Great point! It is also about control and that doesn't mean just on the mat. The training is a like a metaphor for life. Life is a struggle. Having control of one's mind, body, heart, and emotions is important, to make it through life safely.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, How many of you have friends that have to drink alot to have fun?

As you get older (I'm in the early 50's) you will see many of those so call friends either divorce, always changing jobs,moody, and not fun to be around after awhile.

Please change your ways(no more drinking excessively) and you will enjoy your life alot more in the future!

Look at the people who live at the BAR's......does it look like fun?

I'm serious...look at the people around you? Do they drink too much? and Does it seems like fun people to be with?

Enjoy the many other things we all can do to have fun.....1000 kicks, 1000 push-ups, hitting bags, whew....I'm getting excited!!!

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's an interesting news bit I just saw on Yahoo (shortened considerably):

Problem drinking may dampen both a man's sex life and his chances of having children, according to a new study.
Also, it's known that alcoholic men can develop signs of low testosterone, including shrunken testicles and enlarged breasts.

So, it's clear that you're running the risk of becoming a girlie-man!

lol Just kidding. Trying to lighten it up a bit. It's a serious episode but only an encounter.

I think you already know all you need to from it. Everything else just gets preachy. Kick yourself hard once for making a bad decision and go on. You'll be okay.

Latest Discussions