Lions, Crocodiles, and Water Buffalo, Oh, My.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Apparently with a buffalo assist a lion can accomplish a lot!

I was really surprised that the buffalo herd came back en mass to attempt (successfully I think) the rescue of the calf. Generally once you're taken down you're gone... Zebra do it, Wilderbeasts do it, Antelope too... apparently Buffaloes haven't read the manual. I must say it looked pretty intimidating to have 40 or 50 animals weighing up to a ton and a half coming at you in a group. The lions held their ground for as long as they could until they got tossed around.

Great vid.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was incredible! If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would never have believed it!

One things for sure, Buffalo calves are tough little cookies :tup:.

I'm sure that a political/societal metaphor could be drawn from this footage but I'm still teary eyed for the little guy getting away so someone else will have to do that ...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the first time I've seen the video. WOW! Thank you for sharing.

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am just quite amazed! wow! You can tell the buffalo went off some where an than go hum, were is larry dang it we have to go back for larry.

The look on when the crocdiles was taking there food was just priceless. What, what do we do now(lion). When the lion got hit in the backside by the buffalo. You could tell the buffalo had thought it out to they were all very organized.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently with a buffalo assist a lion can accomplish a lot!

I was really surprised that the buffalo herd came back en mass to attempt (successfully I think) the rescue of the calf. Generally once you're taken down you're gone... Zebra do it, Wilderbeasts do it, Antelope too... apparently Buffaloes haven't read the manual. I must say it looked pretty intimidating to have 40 or 50 animals weighing up to a ton and a half coming at you in a group. The lions held their ground for as long as they could until they got tossed around.

Great vid.

Its not uncommon for cape buffalo to stand their ground where lions are concerned. They have been known to "hunt" lion cubs they find and kill them. They're not considered the second most dangerous animal in Africa for nothing.

For those who might be wondering, the hippopotomus is considered the most dangerous.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So it's Hippo then Buffalo? So why do Lions even bother trying?

That lion getting tossed in the air was truly fantastic, then the organised Buffalo mob was amazing, you can just imagine them drawing straws to see who gets to toss the lion....

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
So it's Hippo then Buffalo? So why do Lions even bother trying?

That lion getting tossed in the air was truly fantastic, then the organised Buffalo mob was amazing, you can just imagine them drawing straws to see who gets to toss the lion....

You should try to check out the Big Cat Dairy (a BBC product) to see some interesting interactions between buffalo and lions.

Latest Discussions