Likes?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today when I signed on, I was told someone had "liked" one of my posts. I am confused for several reasons. First, I thought that was what "thanks" and "reputation" was for. Second, I don't see where they clicked to "like" the post. Then again, I often miss things when I look for them specifically.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "like" button is in the lower right corner of posts (not your own...).
It's a bit confusing. You are not notified when someone "Thanks" a post, but the number of times you've thanked people and those who have thanked you is shown in the right upper corner of the post.
You are notified of "Likes" but the number of likes is not currently displayed to anybody other than you.
There's no official word on exactly how these are used (other than the rules in the TOS for the rep system). My feeling is that I will "Thank" good posts, "Like" better posts (so the poster is aware of it) and "rep" the best posts.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's one of the new features the new owners added in. Kinda cool. :) Confusing at first, but adds to the fun.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's just one more way to recognize a good post. I'm kind of running along the idea of "thanking" a post that's giving useful info, that's generally a good service so to speak, then "Liking" posts that I, well, like and agree with rather than posting a variant of "yeah, me too!" Rep is a direct pat on the back for a really good post.