Like/Dislike; Agree/Disagree

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is what we make it to be. I'm going with the OP, use loosely and when I'm too lazy to type.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that is also a question of manners and respect, something that doesn't seem to be top of mind these days. It takes a lot of time and thought to compose some of the posts for MT. If someone likes the post or agrees with it, fine. That symbol says it all. I think it is just bloody rude to put up a cross with no explanation. But I'm not to old to learn. I can do that too.
:D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that is also a question of manners and respect, something that doesn't seem to be top of mind these days. It takes a lot of time and thought to compose some of the posts for MT. If someone likes the post or agrees with it, fine. That symbol says it all. I think it is just bloody rude to put up a cross with no explanation. But I'm not to old to learn. I can do that too.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The way I see it, if someone likes or agrees with my posts, then cool. :)

If they disagree or dislike, well, obviously there's just something wrong with them. Otherwise they would appreciate the pearls of wisdom dropping from my keyboard...

:p

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah true, it would be in context of the thread though.

But people have a virtual reputation, nothing to do with the numbers. The regular posters can see what's going on.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why can't I 'like' and 'agree'?
:bear:
I agree; it would be nice to be able to select more than one of the ratings. I might like a post, and think it's useful or funny. Of course, the only-one rating set up does promote conversation since if I want to say both -- I've gotta make an actual post, not just rate it.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree; it would be nice to be able to select more than one of the ratings. I might like a post, and think it's useful or funny. Of course, the only-one rating set up does promote conversation since if I want to say both -- I've gotta make an actual post, not just rate it.
It was a strictly tongue in cheek remark :bear: with a dash of seriousness. :bookworm:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked the idea of being able to say why I liked or disliked a post if I wanted to in private in the old system.
Sometimes it was nice to explain why i gave that rep. without letting the whole world know. It also caused a lot less interruption of threads at times.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a note/observation:

It looks like the software converted existing Likes over directly. It also gives you a much more detailed view of the type of reputation a member is accumulating than the old software. The old way, you saw the overall rep balance, and (as I recall) the number of liked posts was also visible. But... if you look at a person's profile here, you can actually see how many of each category of rating they've received. In a way -- it's a better picture of a person, that way.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
looking at one of the other threads seeing like, dislike and agree being used got me thinking which is worse dislike or disagree

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Donald1, I don't think either is better or worse. I think it's more a case of attitude towards the post.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well the red cross (disagree) shows up as a neg rep. on your file. Expect to see a lot more appearing if that is the way the game is to be played.
:shifty:

Is it true that if you get enough negative reps you get a temporary posting ban?:jawdrop: :finger::finger::finger: Are we really allowed to use this one?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it true that if you get enough negative reps you get a temporary posting ban?:jawdrop: :finger::finger::finger: Are we really allowed to use this one?

No, it is not true. Nothing another member can do will result in any sort of access restriction.
If warning points from Staff exceed set limits, of course, then your access will be restricted, suspended, or banned.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is a great set up because it would be unfortunate if it was the other way around.

I like the new system. Though like anything it does take a little time to get it sorted out!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just realised this morning that I disagreed with @Gnarlie and [post and I should have pressed agreed. With the negative be immediately changed on the ratings? Now have agreed.

EDIT Just checked again and the negative is at 0. Excelent.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The system allows you to undo any of those ratings. Changes are updated immediately.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah thanks. Looked rather daft thanking and disagreeing.

Maybe it means you like to disagree...

Or, more seriously, someone could post a well thought out opinion which is thought provoking but you still disagree with their conclussions.

It could happen...

Latest Discussions