Like/Dislike; Agree/Disagree

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
How are people viewing the little dudes at the bottom of the post? When I dislike something, is that taken as "negative reputation?" What if I disagree with it?
I have been willy nilly liking, disliking, agreeing, disagreeing and generally spamming just about every post I read. Well, not every post, but every time I think about it. I haven't given it much thought.

I'm curious how everyone views these. Are you taking them seriously?

And for my part, if I dislike your post, I'm viewing it as a kind of, 'hey, that wasn't cool." Not as a, "I hate you and I never want to see you again." And if I hit "disagree" that just means I don't agree. There's not intended to be any more baggage attached.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are people viewing the little dudes at the bottom of the post? When I dislike something, is that taken as "negative reputation?" What if I disagree with it?
I have been willy nilly liking, disliking, agreeing, disagreeing and generally spamming just about every post I read. Well, not every post, but every time I think about it. I haven't given it much thought.

And for my part, if I dislike your post, I'm viewing it as a kind of, 'hey, that wasn't cool." Not as a, "I hate you and I never want to see you again." And if I hit "disagree" that just means I don't agree. There's not intended to be any more baggage attached.

I want a little barfing dude. :vomit: that pretty much says, "You make me sick! <Insert much missed :lfao: smiley here>

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's kind of how I'm seeing them, too. I pretty much figure take 'em at face value: Like, Dislike... Agree or Disagree... etc. It's a one click response rather than a post saying "I agree/disagree/that was funny/useful, etc."

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same, I tend to use the buttons on a topic I have an opinion about. I think it also gives an avenue for people that don't tend to post but like to back a post with buttons instead. Which I've been seeing lately. So I think that having more options is a good thing.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one. I just don't want to be creating a lot of hard feelings unknowingly! :)

So, here's another question. On some subforums, I see a "List" link next to the icons. In others, I do not. Is there a reason for the inconsistency? For example, in this thread, I can see who clicked on what.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one. I just don't want to be creating a lot of hard feelings unknowingly! :)

So, here's another question. On some subforums, I see a "List" link next to the icons. In others, I do not. Is there a reason for the inconsistency? For example, in this thread, I can see who clicked on what.

I believe the "list/no list" issue is one of the things still being tweaked. You should be able to click and see who liked/whatever your post.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Well the red cross (disagree) shows up as a neg rep. on your file. Expect to see a lot more appearing if that is the way the game is to be played.
:shifty:

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well the red cross (disagree) shows up as a neg rep. on your file. Expect to see a lot more appearing if that is the way the game is to be played.
Oh man. That's all I need. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh man. That's all I need. :)
Mate, I didn't do that to you even when you were calling me coy. Don't expect to see any on your posts anytime soon. I've only dished out a handful in six years, only one or two until recently. I'll save them for people who deserve them. Turning the other cheek is not really part of my religion. I'm more Old Testament, an eye for an eye!
:D

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Like\Dislike is a social indicator, but the Agree\Disagree is a rep modifier?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If i like a post and have nothing to add i will just tag them.

if i disagree i like to let people know why.

internet reputation is a non event for me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mate, I didn't do that to you even when you were calling me coy. Don't expect to see any on your posts anytime soon. I've only dished out a handful in six years, only one or two until recently. I'll save them for people who deserve them. Turning the other cheek is not really part of my religion. I'm more Old Testament, an eye for an eye!
:D

i must admit as far as zinger insults go. Coy is not one i would. Have carried with me. Over multiple threads. And i have been called all kinds of stuff.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i must admit as far as zinger insults go. Coy is not one i would. Have carried with me. Over multiple threads. And i have been called all kinds of stuff.

why all the full stops? I am on a phone and it is grammar fighting me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's an entirely different system; don't try too hard to compare it to the old. The new system keeps a running tally of all ratings received. I'd think of it as more post-specific than the old reputation level. Personally -- probably still won't make much use of the Dislike, may use Disagree more.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is all so confusing to me. Thank God I'm used to being confused.

I like the like button thingy. Never actually noticed the other ones until now.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I take them very seriously and let then influence every aspect of my life:D:rolleyes:...Actually they mean little to me, but then that would also depend on who gives it to me and why.

Not to worry Steve.... I have always hated you and never wanted to see you again anyways :p:D But also understand.. I only say this because you have no idea who I really am or where I live :D

Seriously, no worries, I try not to take any of this personally these days...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use the new system much like has been said by others. If I like a post I indicate by clicking like , I'll dislike or approve (agree), say a post was informative,etc.
I like the system but had not figured out the agree and disagree where like our old rep system. Thanks for that information

Latest Discussions