Lightweight to middleweight

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm debating getting a middleweight uniform, as the lightweight ones you get when you sign up just don't seem to last very long.

Will it slow me down any?

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't slow you down at all. Been using med and heavyweight for years. I like the snap, although it is stiffer and will take a little getting used to.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm debating getting a middleweight uniform, as the lightweight ones you get when you sign up just don't seem to last very long.

Will it slow me down any?

Even an adult sized heavyweight uniform weighs perhaps 3 pounds at the most, so I can't imagine it being a real impact on one's speed. The main thing is to make sure your uniform fits properly with correct sleeve and pants leg length. It should be loose enough to move comfortably in, yet not be so baggy and long that air 'drag' is created. It is difficult and frustrating to train in a uniform that does not fit properly. I always tell my students that it's well worth the investment to have their do-gi tailored to fit if they take learning karate seriously.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually find that the heavier doboks wick more moisture away, while the cheaper doboks often get soaked very quickly and become gooey.

No, it won't slow you down.

Daniel

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yes I sweat alot, and it seems the cheapos just soak in the sweat and I become a disgusting wet blob of sweat.

I don't want to feel like I've been swimming with my gi on.

Next question.. do I buy it from my instructor.. or order it online.

My school uses Rhingo.. anyone familar with them? How much does a white middleweight traditional uniform run? the cheapos are like 30 bucks at my school. My wife is getting it for me for V-day so I was gonna let her know where to get it from. I don't particularly like ordering things outside of my school because I feel like I should be getting it from him. However, I can almost always find a better deal on better stuff online. But, the idea is giving him the business.. even if it costs slightly more.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get it from your school, I think it's better to just keep it in house. I always do. Not familiar with that particular brand, but for my med, mine was around 150-170 but I have embroidery on mine and you'll probably have to get it tailored to fit you.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've only used a Rhingo student v-neck (probably 6 or 7 oz) once when I visited a friend's school and I didn't have my gear bag with me. I was quickly drenched in sweat since the fabric was so thin. Never tried their traditional crossover jackets, but it looks like they sell them as well in a few different weights, so your instructor can indeed sell you something heavier than the beginner gi.

If you sweat a lot, Sylo, I'd suggest getting at least a 10 oz uniform which some retailers will call a 'medium heavyweight'. Heavyweight uniforms are from 14 oz - 16 oz.

I have experience with a variety of brands. Pro Force sells a 10 oz uniform which is satisfactory in performance. It's about $50 on the 'net or you can see if your school has an account with AWMA which is the wholesaler of the brand. In this range, I also like KI Mugen, which costs about the same straight from KI.

http://www.kiintl.com/1/product.php?productid=16212&cat=251&page=1

Latest Discussions