License to teach (TX)

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the licensing, insurance, and waiver requirements are to teach in the state of Texas?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the licensing, insurance, and waiver requirements are to teach in the state of Texas?

Licensing -- You may need a municipal business license, depending on the community you are in, so that the local folks can try to get a grip on what yu are doing, but most municipalities do not have that. Where we are in Houston, it doesn't exist as the requirements of such licensure are encompassed under different things.

Waiver - You shuld always get students to sign a waiver, which needs to explain all the risks of engaging in a physical martial art, such as [list of injuries and/or infections] and up to and including accidental death. Gruesome, but then nobody can say "He never told us little Billy could die!" Hardly ever any really serious accidents, but they have happened and will again. Don't be That Guy.

Insurance - Probably more of a function of the lease you have for your premises than anything else. Almost always a commercial landlord will, as a part of their lease, have a requirement that you maintain a general liability for your use of their property, which names both you and the Landlord as insureds. On your nickel.

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Licensing -- You may need a municipal business license, depending on the community you are in, so that the local folks can try to get a grip on what yu are doing, but most municipalities do not have that. Where we are in Houston, it doesn't exist as the requirements of such licensure are encompassed under different things.

Waiver - You shuld always get students to sign a waiver, which needs to explain all the risks of engaging in a physical martial art, such as [list of injuries and/or infections] and up to and including accidental death. Gruesome, but then nobody can say "He never told us little Billy could die!" Hardly ever any really serious accidents, but they have happened and will again. Don't be That Guy.

Insurance - Probably more of a function of the lease you have for your premises than anything else. Almost always a commercial landlord will, as a part of their lease, have a requirement that you maintain a general liability for your use of their property, which names both you and the Landlord as insureds. On your nickel.
Thank you! As a follow up, do you have any recommendations for liability insurance providers (and rough cost range)?

Gfreak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Hey man I really hate to hijack this thread. But I have to ask JP3 about that Aikido Dojo. As I live and train in Houston (south west side) And at some point in my life I"d like to get atleast a Shodan in a form of aikido.

Is your Tomiki-ryu Aikido harder than most? comparing the demo on your website with other aikido demos i've seen, seems like he is applying locks harder than many other ones i've seen (though still not "hard" compared to like hapkido or something).

just curious.

Also, I'm sorry I don't have anything to add about the TX law stuff. though Business Might have some info for you.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! As a follow up, do you have any recommendations for liability insurance providers (and rough cost range)?
I don't really, and I'm sorry about that. Really the best thing you can do is to call an insurance agent, tell them what you are doing and what you think your requirements are (look at your lease) and then have them shop it for you.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey man I really hate to hijack this thread. But I have to ask JP3 about that Aikido Dojo. As I live and train in Houston (south west side) And at some point in my life I"d like to get atleast a Shodan in a form of aikido.

Is your Tomiki-ryu Aikido harder than most? comparing the demo on your website with other aikido demos i've seen, seems like he is applying locks harder than many other ones i've seen (though still not "hard" compared to like hapkido or something).

just curious.

Also, I'm sorry I don't have anything to add about the TX law stuff. though Business Might have some info for you.
In the future, you can send someone a pm.

Latest Discussions