Liars in the Martial Arts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Jay-Bell - The Charlatan Slayer!"
Tonights episode: Jay encounters an instructor claiming to be a decendant of ancient Tibetan Dop-Dop warriors who settled in Paris after the Communist takeover of Tibet. See Jay fight off the hoard armed with nasty poodles, smelly cheeses, overpriced wines and arrogant attitudes. Will Jay prevail? Will his arsenal of soap last? Tune in tonight for a very special "Jay-Bell - The Charlatan Slayer'.

On a more sane note - anyone who has been around long enough has at least a few stories of instances where they 'outed' a phony. Could be a catagory all its own.
It has to be done though - the general public has no idea whats genuine and the phonies hurt us all, ultimately. MArtists take for granted that the public can tell the difference - and they cant.
Hell, sometimes even we get fooled - for awhile.

Go get em, Jay!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He said he could talk about it a little, but that the gov. has a tendancy to classify things for really lame reasons. The one thing that I remember him talking about was getting flown to Alaska to guard a Navy sub that had some trouble and was temporarily stranded. I hadn't heard of FAST companies and didn't know what to think. I did some cursory research and found that there were such things as FAST companies that were pretty much what he described.
Yeah, they do exist. The Marine Corps as a whole can be considered something of a special ops unit if you want to stretch it far enough. I do agree that the government has a tendency to classify everything first just to be on the safe side and then de-classify little by little. I have found the best policy to be just to keep my mouth shut about everything:shrug: Your friend being a machine gunner would be a very good MOS to have to get into a FAST company.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On a more sane note - anyone who has been around long enough has at least a few stories of instances where they 'outed' a phony. Could be a catagory all its own.
It has to be done though - the general public has no idea whats genuine and the phonies hurt us all, ultimately. MArtists take for granted that the public can tell the difference - and they cant.
Hell, sometimes even we get fooled - for awhile.

Amen, brother.

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anybody up on Hikuda?

This stuff was marketed by a guy calling himself Doc Lee. It supposedly was passed down from the Pharonic bodyguards of Ancient Egypt directly to him via a bunch of masters...blah, blah.

Back in the late eighties, early nineties I'd get these HUGE advertisment form letters from him, suggesting I buy his video. A guy I know bought his tape and says it is HYSTERICAL it is so bad.

Now some of the people who studied with this guy have a web site (I can't find it now). They appear to be doing JKD/Wing Chun or something. My sense is that they really believe its all for real.

Totally bogus lineage.

Regards,

Steve Scott

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking of fake Spec Op Ninja :D

Ariticle by M.C. Busman:

I've posted the below numerous times, and still for some reason, there are innocent
students who feel that they must be loyal to this man. I know it is hard for some to admit to having been following someone dishonest, but the sooner you admit this, the sooner you will be able to come to terms with what you are learning. ~Please~ check the sources at the end of this post yourself--you will find that every one of them is sound. Dux has not been able to refute any of the evidence. I don't post these to gloat--I post them so that fellow martial artists will be able to ascertain the facts, without any middleman to add spin or alter the story in a brighter or dimmer light. The facts are the facts, I am just the messenger.

Here's something new I haven't posted before concerning Dux: the fact that at one time (over 10 years ago), he was telling people that he had kicked the posterior end of one Benny "The Jet" Urquidez. Benny, being more the man and diplomat and being rather compassionate, politely asked him to stop spreading this bald-faced lie. To my knowledge, Dux complied with the seasoned fighter's request. A martial friend close to Urquidez related recently that much of Dux's contrived drama had its basis in the real-life exploits of Urquidez, who once had a
fighter in China tell him before a match that he would 'fight him to the death'! As any true professional, Urquidez was gracious to the man, whom he trounced, at the finish of the match, although the crowd apparently was screaming for him to Kill the loser, or the Chinese version of that. . .If you are a student of Frank Dux, ask him if he knows Benny "The Jet". I'd like to hear what Dux has to say about this. That aside, I know that Dux was in for brain surgery a few years ago, and is in lousy shape. You might want to consider that some of this man's behavior might be related to his condition or a related chemical imbalance. Treat him with
compassion, but for crying out loud, don't get sucked into his crazy game! You simply cannot overcome the evidence. Dux is what he is. Read on:

In May of 1988, John Johnson of the Los Angeles Times ran an expose of Frank Dux and his numerous lies. He showed once and for all that Dux has never been in any international "Kumite", or any tournament at all, for that matter. His trophy, which he had supposedly won in the Bahamas, had been manufactured in North Hollywood by the W.R. Moody Co. This is not far from Dux's home town of Woodland Hills. Dux also claimed that these supposed secret fights had been hosted by an organization called the "International Fighting Arts Association", a group which reporter Johnson said led only back to Dux himself! The most
damning thing about Dux though, even if one were to overlook his lies about having a secret ninja teacher named Senzo Tanaka (Tanaka, like in James Bond films--no evidence of such a person in the US or Japan has ever been uncovered), rescued boatloads of orphans, or set any kind of martial arts speed record (he didn't), is the fact that Dux has lied about his military career.

Frank Dux fabricated phony newspaper articles, one from the Washington Star, which painted him as some sort of military hero. When Johnson checked with the archives of the 'Star, they told him no such article existed--another bold fake! In Fact, Dux's records show he never even left the Continental US, and in the words of Johnson, "His only known war injury occurred when he fell off a truck he was painting in the motor pool"(1988,4). Johnson also writes that; "His military medical file. . .said that on Jan. 22, 1978, he was referred for
psychiatric evaluation for expressing "flighty and disconnected ideas." Though as a member of the reserves, which meant he was on active duty only a short time, he reportedly insisted that he was working for an intelligence agency." (1988:2)

Dux also made the blunder of mixing up Army and Marine awards on his uniform, ~none~ of which were legitimately his. He even claimed to have been secretly awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor by Congress! Now, if you think hundreds of members of congress can keep any sort of secret, you're really crazy! But Dux is somehow convinced people will buy his lies. He doesn't realize, or denies to himself that his tall tales hurt real veterans, those who actually paid the price for our nation while he was a youngster fantasizing about playing spy games.

Dux's Book, "The Secret Man" is also completely contrived. Soldier of Fortune did an expose on this fictional work of his, and debunked his bogus military claims once and for all. The August 1996 issue included a review called "Full Mental Jacket". The title of the article alone should let you know what real military men think of his stories. SOF mentioned this loser again in the Nov. 1998 issue in an article by Larry Bailey entitled "Stolen Valor: Profiles of a Phony-Hunter". Dux is shown wearing his incorrectly displayed and mixed Army and Marine Medals! The book "Stolen Valor" by B.G. Burkett is over 700 pages long, and is devoted to unmasking military fakes--he devotes 4 pages to Dux's fakery, debunking his hollow claims once and for all.

If your still in doubt about this psychopathic clown, check out Court TV online for a recounting of his exaggerations and subsequent loss in court to Van Damme in a lawsuit last year.

It is a fact. Frank Dux is a Lying phony who has profited from gulliability and thesacrifices of truly honorable people. Don't just take my word--research the sources below for yourself:

Bailey, Larry. (1998). "Stolen Valor: Profiles of a Phony-Hunter", in Soldier of Fortune. November 1998, 58-61, 73. [SOF backissues available online from SOF website]

Burkett, B.G. (1998). Stolen Valor. Verity Press, TX. [should be available online. check www.stolenvalor.com)

Court TV Online. (1999). "Frank Dux v. Jean Claude Van Damme". Link to: http://www.courttv.com/trials/vandam/index.html

Johnson, John. (1988). "Ninja: Hero or Master Fake?", Los Angeles Times Valley Edition, Metro Section Part 2, pg 4. May 1, 1988. [call LA Timesarchives at 1800-788-8804 for your copy--runs about 10 bucks, and they take credit cards]

Soldier of Fortune. (1996). "Full Mental Jacket". August 1996.

Happy Hunting.
M.C. Busman

For more info on Frank Dux:

Temple of Truth

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its difficult to say how much compassion we should have for guys like this. So many of them are seriously disturbed...but that doesn't necessarily mean we should feel sorry for them. They can be pretty pathetic, but they can be very manipulative.

Psychopaths will LIE to anyone and be anything to anybody. They can be extremely dangerous.

My guess is that the typical liar in the martial arts isn't that far gone...but would qualify for a diagnosis of Anti-social Personality Disorder. This used to be called "sociopathy", of which psychopathy is a dangerous subset.

Correct me if I'm wrong here...we have to have a psychiatrist somewhere on this forum, right?

Regards,

Steve Scott

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How much sympathy should we have? Little to none, in my opinion. They would not find it in any other profession or vocation.
In particular, if they 'put out a shingle' and begin to 'teach'. Imagine the repercussions when the AMA finds out. Too learned a comparison? Try faking Teamster qualifications and show up at a union shop. Not good for ones health.
We always should remain vigilant - these guys affect many lives other than their own and tarninsh all legitamate practitioners.

Dux? A favorite wacko---back in the early 80's, I remember that he had made a death threat to the most prominant ninjitsu personality in the U.S. ---and threatened his family also. The threat was something the 'community' kept quiet but considered it
potentially dangerous. The instructors wife was escourted in her daily affairs...students looking out for trouble.

The matter was 'settled privately' later that year and Dux was no longer considered a point of concern.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
Anybody up on Hikuda?

This stuff was marketed by a guy calling himself Doc Lee. It supposedly was passed down from the Pharonic bodyguards of Ancient Egypt directly to him via a bunch of masters...blah, blah.

Back in the late eighties, early nineties I'd get these HUGE advertisment form letters from him, suggesting I buy his video. A guy I know bought his tape and says it is HYSTERICAL it is so bad.

Now some of the people who studied with this guy have a web site (I can't find it now). They appear to be doing JKD/Wing Chun or something. My sense is that they really believe its all for real.

Totally bogus lineage.

Regards,

Steve Scott

http://www.philelmore.com/martial/hikutahand.htm

http://www.philelmore.com/martial/hikutavideo.htm

http://www.dolfzine.com/page690.htm

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oooh, goody.

Thanks, Phil!

If I find that web site belinging to his students, I'll post it. I must have bookmarked it somewhere.

Regards,

Steve Scott

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oooh, goody.

Thanks, Phil!

If I find that web site belinging to his students, I'll post it. I must have bookmarked it somewhere.

Regards,

Steve Scott

BELONGING. Not belinging.

Gad, I hate it when I spell things wrong. Sorry. That may be a bit OCD of me.

SCS

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BELONGING. Not belinging.

Gad, I hate it when I spell things wrong. Sorry. That may be a bit OCD of me.

SCS

Steve,

If it is less than one hour from the time of your post, you as the poster can click on the edit button and correct any spelling mistakes you have made. Being OCD myself, I understand. ;) :asian:

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Elmore,
I see that 'Phil Sharp' is listed in a thread on that sight as a 'doubter'...man, what clowns.

K

Kempo Guy

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Ashida Kim" of ninjutsu fame nor "John Lovret" (of Tenshin ryu and Yamate ryu).

KG

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, so many 'weasels' to slap...so little time!
Kempo Guy...I am sure we will get to them in the forum. Clip a number to their collar and join in.
After we have 'done the Dux' - we can do them next!

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich wrote:

If it is less than one hour from the time of your post, you as the poster can click on the edit button and correct any spelling mistakes you have made. Being OCD myself, I understand.

Thanks Rich. I didn't know I could do that.

Now...what can I do about my compulsive handwashing?

Regards,

Steve Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions