LGBT artists

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Once again I note the hilarity in a bunch of people taking a yes or no question and making an issue out of how much it shouldn't be an issue.

The OP never said it mattered or affected ma training, just that she liked to hear of people like her.

Do you guys really need to perform an analysis of the validity of stuff the poster likes?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once again I note the hilarity in a bunch of people taking a yes or no question and making an issue out of how much it shouldn't be an issue.

The OP never said it mattered or affected ma training, just that she liked to hear of people like her.

Do you guys really need to perform an analysis of the validity of stuff the poster likes?
You are correct about the question. But as you can see it is a hot topic. Whether that is right or wrong.
I don't see anybody querying straight people on here. So yes, I think it is a little out of line.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are correct about the question. But as you can see it is a hot topic. Whether that is right or wrong.
I don't see anybody querying straight people on here. So yes, I think it is a little out of line.
Ok I'll start.
Do you know any heterosexual TMA masters?

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't get how were all supposed to not worry about what other folks do sexually if we can't even not worry about what other folks post that doesn't interest us.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@DaveB , you beat me to it. Was reading through the thread, and thinking If someone cam eon here and said they were a ginger, and wanted to know if there were other ginger martial artists, or short and looking to see if there were other short martial artists, no one would feel a need to profess they don't care about that. They'd just say yes or no, or if they don't pay attention to people's hair color, they'd just ignore it.

As an actual answer to OP: two friends of mine are both bi, and claim to be martial artists. One of them, I would dispute that claim (the martial artist part, not the bi part).

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Two of my koryu kenjutsu teachers are LBGT. Amazing martial artists, and great people.

I know of a gay lady who is 8th Dan Aikido, 7th Dan Jodo, 7th Dan Iaido - one of the (if not THE senior teacher in her line of Aikido.. I don't know) - and her partner is highly ranked in those arts also.

As far as I know their personal life is not public, so I won't name them. I hope that's the sort of info the OP was after.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is fetish wrestling out there. Looks mostly pretty benign.

People just have to do themselves as much as they can.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

People are having a serious discussion about an issue that variously concerns or doesn't concern them personally. Why is that a problem?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get how were all supposed to not worry about what other folks do sexually if we can't even not worry about what other folks post that doesn't interest us.
Do you not see the irony in that statement, Dave?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@DaveB , you beat me to it. Was reading through the thread, and thinking If someone cam eon here and said they were a ginger, and wanted to know if there were other ginger martial artists, or short and looking to see if there were other short martial artists, no one would feel a need to profess they don't care about that. They'd just say yes or no, or if they don't pay attention to people's hair color, they'd just ignore it.

As an actual answer to OP: two friends of mine are both bi, and claim to be martial artists. One of them, I would dispute that claim (the martial artist part, not the bi part).
Being ginger has never been a contentious issue in my lifetime in any part of the US (the only country I've lived in), so would elicit a different reaction. If someone asked if we knew any famous black martial artists, I think we'd see some discussion occur, and mostly for the same reason.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Being ginger has never been a contentious issue in my lifetime in any part of the US (the only country I've lived in), so would elicit a different reaction. If someone asked if we knew any famous black martial artists, I think we'd see some discussion occur, and mostly for the same reason.
To me, it just highlights how divisive of an issue it still is. If it was about famous black martial artists, I think the discussion would be much less and more of a yes/no answer, although 20 years ago that probably wouldn't be the case. My hope is for both issues to become enough of a non-issue at some point that folks don't have to say its a non-issue.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Wait a minute! A thread started one way and then we, as a whole, turned it into something else that’s kinda related!?!? Say it ain’t so!!!

I don’t have to point to EVERY SINGLE THREAD here on MT as proof of my sarcasm, do I?

I’m pretty sure we “analyze the validity of what the OP likes” in every thread. Yeah, we talk too much. That’s the great thing about forums - people walk away when we ramble in person. Here, as long as we’re typing, we don’t get cut off mid sentence/thought or see eye rolling, or get walked away from, etc. So we take advantage and go on longer than we would in-person. And we over-analyze everything. It’s all good.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To me, it just highlights how divisive of an issue it still is. If it was about famous black martial artists, I think the discussion would be much less and more of a yes/no answer, although 20 years ago that probably wouldn't be the case. My hope is for both issues to become enough of a non-issue at some point that folks don't have to say its a non-issue.

I don't know...there are an awful lot of really good black martial artist who are famous, I think it would be a list...that and we are on a website that is for discussing martial artists....

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know...there are an awful lot of really good black martial artist who are famous, I think it would be a list...that and we are on a website that is for discussing martial artists....
True, but that would be a discussion of all the great black martial artists, not about how little it matters that those martial artists are black. Or at least it would take a few pages for it to veer off that direction.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait a minute! A thread started one way and then we, as a whole, turned it into something else that’s kinda related!?!? Say it ain’t so!!!

I don’t have to point to EVERY SINGLE THREAD here on MT as proof of my sarcasm, do I?

I’m pretty sure we “analyze the validity of what the OP likes” in every thread. Yeah, we talk too much. That’s the great thing about forums - people walk away when we ramble in person. Here, as long as we’re typing, we don’t get cut off mid sentence/thought or see eye rolling, or get walked away from, etc. So we take advantage and go on longer than we would in-person. And we over-analyze everything. It’s all good.
Wait...so when the OP never replies is that the forum version of walking away? I always just assumed some horrible tragedy must have befallen them, to not get involved in our off topic ramblings.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait...so when the OP never replies is that the forum version of walking away? I always just assumed some horrible tragedy must have befallen them, to not get involved in our off topic ramblings.
I assumed the same thing. I was going to alert the authorities that something bad might have happened, but I’ve got no contact info.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
True, but that would be a discussion of all the great black martial artists, not about how little it matters that those martial artists are black. Or at least it would take a few pages for it to veer off that direction.

But it is a different topic and a different focus...."Famous" is part of the topic. If you want it to be similar, and I suspect it would get similar results as this thread has, simply talk about someone who is black in a marital arts class. Again my response is pretty much the same as I gave before (and I stole part of that from @Buka) my response would still be "Don't care....keep your hands up".

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree - it'd be nice for both to become complete non-issues. But that won't actually happen. It will always matter, in some way, to some people. Even if all the prejudice that remains in MA goes away, someone (probably like the OP) will look for examples for inspiration.

I think several of us posted about it not being an issue because we didn't want the OP to just get the silent treatment, and to show some support although we couldn't provide what they were asking for.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What does anyone's sex life have to do with MA ? Whether you support it or are against it, It is as relevant as discussing someone's skin colour or religion as it pertains to MA.

The only thing I can see is I know some people are uncomfortable rolling around with people of the opposite sex. There was a wrestler on my team in Middle School (18 years ago), who was pretty good, who lost to a girl because he was afraid to use half his moves because he didn't want to accidentally touch her inappropriately. Now, I'm not accusing her of cheating, and I'm not saying she couldn't have won if he had used his full arsenal. But when you're hover-handing to avoid bad touch, it is a severe handicap in the match.

Nowadays there's enough girls doing martial arts that most schools have a boys' and a girls' wrestling team. Part of this is simply the physical differences between men and women, but I think part of it is simply how close and personal you get when you're rolling around on the mat. (That's why there's all sorts of memes about ground-fighters and their orientation).

With that said, I can understand being a little uncomfortable having that much contact with someone who might be attracted to me, but I'm not attracted to them.

But unless they do do something inappropriate, that's my problem to deal with and I shouldn't punish them for it.

Latest Discussions