LGBT artists

WingChunChick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any prominant lgbt martial artists?

As a lesbian and a MA practitionar I always like to see people like me. I know of a few MMA fighters, but are there any TMA masters or high level people who are lgbt?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Woman's UFC 135 champ is all kinds of gay. She might well be the best female fighter on the planet.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

As a lesbian and a MA practitionar I always like to see people like me. I know of a few MMA fighters, but are there any TMA masters or high level people who are lgbt?

We have a few at my dojang. They don't flaunt it though.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My capoeira teacher in San Francisco, Mestre Marcia Cigarra, is a lesbian, and a senior level instructor in Group ABADA under grand-mestre Camisa in Rio de Janiero.

Her sexual orientation was never an issue one way or the other, didn’t really come into play during training. At any rate, I would put her among the best in her respective system.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah. Nunes is a machine.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are plenty. I don’t think it gets much attention because the practitioners I know of don’t make it an issue. The ones I know aren’t closeted, but they’re not advertising it any more NOR LESS than heterosexual people are advertising their sexuality. To me it seems they’re making it a non-issue.

I think it should be a non-issue. I understand people want to be around and seeking out people similar to them, including orientation. I’ve got no problem with that. But why it matters who my teacher and everyone else goes home to, I have no idea. I could also never figure out why people object to two consenting adults having a relationship and getting married. Everyone is entitled to be equally miserable IMO :)

What matters is how my teacher teaches, how he interacts with me and my classmates, and if he’s running the place in a way that it’s not going to close down. If I was the only straight and genetically male in the dojo, so what? So long as what I want to learn is being taught and I’m just as accepted and welcomed as everyone else, it’s all good. If either of those two conditions aren’t met, I’ll go elsewhere and move on with my life.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are plenty. I don’t think it gets much attention because the practitioners I know of don’t make it an issue. The ones I know aren’t closeted, but they’re not advertising it any more NOR LESS than heterosexual people are advertising their sexuality. To me it seems they’re making it a non-issue.

I think it should be a non-issue. I understand people want to be around and seeking out people similar to them, including orientation. I’ve got no problem with that. But why it matters who my teacher and everyone else goes home to, I have no idea. I could also never figure out why people object to two consenting adults having a relationship and getting married. Everyone is entitled to be equally miserable IMO :)

What matters is how my teacher teaches, how he interacts with me and my classmates, and if he’s running the place in a way that it’s not going to close down. If I was the only straight and genetically male in the dojo, so what? So long as what I want to learn is being taught and I’m just as accepted and welcomed as everyone else, it’s all good. If either of those two conditions aren’t met, I’ll go elsewhere and move on with my life.
I actually couldn't agree more. The amount of focus some people put on what they like to do with their genitals seems pretty unnecessary to me. Why is it worth mentioning?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever met any. Although if I have they obviously aren't openly telling everyone they meet. Though I would assume there is a significant number.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've trained with a few I knew of. I assume I trained with a bunch I didn't now of, since I had no idea what the orientation was for most of the folks I trained with. I prefer it that way, so it doesn't become an issue for anyone. I'm sure that back in the day there were more than a few who hid their sexuality. These days, I think sexuality has become a non-issue in a lot of areas for most people.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's very common here in Seattle. I'm not sure about "masters", but I'm never quite sure what that term means anyway. We have trained and train with a diverse population here.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not that it's an issue. MA is MA whether you are straight or gay. My older brother died from HIV, was gay his whole life. He was pretty awesome. Think Freddy Mercury but blond.

He was a gifted musician, and a boxer. He was a golden gloves boxer until he found out he was positive. After that he coached boxing at a YMCA for about 15 years.

God, I miss him.

For those with a sense of humor... I present the following:
always-talks-about-equality-calls-jiu-jitsu-and-wrestling-gay.jpg

4455395284f6d33a465fa74752ba18bd--martial-arts-humor-funny-memes.jpg

gl8k0kzq08qz.jpg

11376014_1418487475141317_1697099327_n.jpg

Last edited:

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know plenty of good martial artists who are LGBT. I don't know any famous ones, but I don't know of many famous straight martial artists either, so that doesn't mean much.

We have a few at my dojang. They don't flaunt it though.

As a personal pet peeve, I don't think "flaunt" is the right term here. People who know me know I have a spouse who is female, but nobody says I'm "flaunting" my heterosexuality when I say "I can't stay for sparring practice this week because I gotta go home and make soup for my wife who has a cold" or "my wife works for the school district." Yet LGBT folks are sometimes accused of flaunting their LGBT identity when they say exactly the same sentence regarding their partners.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know plenty of good martial artists who are LGBT. I don't know any famous ones, but I don't know of many famous straight martial artists either, so that doesn't mean much.

As a personal pet peeve, I don't think "flaunt" is the right term here. People who know me know I have a spouse who is female, but nobody says I'm "flaunting" my heterosexuality when I say "I can't stay for sparring practice this week because I gotta go home and make soup for my wife who has a cold" or "my wife works for the school district." Yet LGBT folks are sometimes accused of flaunting their LGBT identity when they say exactly the same sentence regarding their partners.

It depends on how it's said.

"I gotta go home and make soup for my wife."

"I gotta go home and make soup for my WIFE ;);)."

What I mean is, it's something that comes up in casual conversation. They're not in the closet, but their whole identity isn't about the fact they're LGBT. To them, it's normal, it's just who they are. They don't make a big deal of it. They're not trying to get a reaction out of it. They just are.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I never gave it much thought. But on personal note..

Vacationed on the east Coast last month. My dear friend, and longest tenured student, Kathy, came out. She mentioned it to my wife. My wife asked her if she had told me. Kathy laughed and said all Buka ever cared about was I'm happy and I keep my damn hands up when I fight.

So....everybody please keep your hands up when you fight.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I never gave it much thought. But on personal note..

Vacationed on the east Coast last month. My dear friend, and longest tenured student, Kathy, came out. She mentioned it to my wife. My wife asked her if she had told me. Kathy laughed and said all Buka ever cared about was I'm happy and I keep my damn hands up when I fight.

So....everybody please keep your hands up when you fight.

Years ago I had an old high school buddy come out to me... I looked at him and said...yeah so...don't care....you buying the next round or am I....then he looked at me for a minute....I said...sorry...were you expecting moral indignation....and you've known me how long...he said...yeah...you're right...should have known better...I'm buying....

Same goes for marital arts...don't care...just keep your hands up.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dunno. I don't think folks are as open minded as everybody seems to be saying here. I've encountered a lot of homophobic behaviors and comments in certain martial arts circles ...and often more derisive remarks directed at gay males than at lesbians in the martial arts. I agree that people should be judged as people, not according to race, ethnicity, religion of sexual orientation, but we are lying to ourselves if we don't admit that we've a long way to go. Just sayin'.

D

Deleted member 39746

I generally don't ask as i don't want to know. I'm not very tolerant of these things so its best if i don't know. (i think i saw one instructor that was homosexual however)

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What does anyone's sex life have to do with MA ? Whether you support it or are against it, It is as relevant as discussing someone's skin colour or religion as it pertains to MA.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dunno. I don't think folks are as open minded as everybody seems to be saying here. I've encountered a lot of homophobic behaviors and comments in certain martial arts circles ...and often more derisive remarks directed at gay males than at lesbians in the martial arts. I agree that people should be judged as people, not according to race, ethnicity, religion of sexual orientation, but we are lying to ourselves if we don't admit that we've a long way to go. Just sayin'.
We’re a very small portion of the population, and let’s be honest, most people who are opposed to it aren’t going to comment. That doesn’t mean that everyone who doesn’t comment is opposed by any means.

It’s unfortunate that people feel that way, but it is what it is. Everyone has their prejudices and biases. It’s a part of life. And it’s never going to go away. If there’s an answer to the question of how you get everyone to fully accept everyone who’s different than they are, a lot of people will be interested in hearing it. I’m not saying it’s ok and/or nothing should be done, I’m just stating the obvious.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it really depends on where you live. I live in Seattle, I have lived in Phoenix and a lot of other places. While I'm sure there are a few MA gyms here in Seattle where there's overt homophobia and a lot more where there's some that's covert, I don't think bigotry of that sort is generally considered to be OK here and probably isn't a financially sound practice for many commercial ventures. From my time in Phoenix it seemed like things were a bit different there. In my home town that sort of bigotry was the norm when I left over 20 years ago and from what I see on Facebook it looks like it's gotten a little better, but not as much as I'd have hoped.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions