Let's talk about Tan Sau

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The goal is important. The path can be modified. If you want the WC to have uppercut, that's where you should look.

For example

- MT flying knee can be jumping kick without the kick.
- TKD spin hook kick can be floor sweep but higher.
- Boxing uppercut can be WC Tan Shou by using fist.

Which is more important? To use Tan Shou as

- uppercut (an offense tool),
- spread (a defense tool)?
I understanding your premise however, you are of the opinion it doesn't matter if the structure is different it is still tan sao, yes?
A palm strike would be more in line of the tan structure than an upper cut (chou kuen is an uppercut)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you are of the opinion it doesn't matter if the structure is different it is still tan sao, yes?
This guy may not know any WC. But he is doing one Bong Shou application - use your arm to raise your opponent's arm. He may take a different path to reach to the same goal that's different from the WC path. As long as you can solve your problem that all it matters.

People may have different attitude.

1. I don't do this way.
2. I didn't know I could do this way.

IMO, 2 > 1

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
This guy may not know any WC. But he is doing one Bong Shou application - use your arm to raise your opponent's arm. He may take a different path to reach to the same goal that's different from the WC path. As long as you can solve your problem that all it matters.

People may have different attitude.

1. I don't do this way.
2. I didn't know I could do this way.

IMO, 2 > 1
Some may refer to what you are referring to in the video as bong sao however in the wing chun I know that would not be considered such...yes the arm is bent and twisted with the wrist below the elbow but there are more aspects that are incorrect than that are correct for it to be bong sao in the wing chun I am familiar with.

Not arguing different paths. If it works for someone great...but that doesn't make it bong sao.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, if we think like a native speaker of Cantonese doing Wing Chun a generation ago, "Bong Sau" is named for the shape, not the concept. He would be thinking and saying "wing arm." So anything that had that shape....like a wing...would be "Bong Sau" regardless of how you were using it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So anything that had that shape....like a wing...would be "Bong Sau" regardless of how you were using it.
What kind of punch, kick, lock, throw do you think the WC system contain?

Some MA systems only teach offense skill during the 1st or even the 2nd year. This will force the students to develop the spirit of attack, attack, and still attack. I think that's a good approach.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions