Less-pain conditioning

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO...when it comes to exercise/physical conditioning...if you are not confronting the mental aspect of pushing through the pain, you are missing out on 85% of the benefit of the training.

I'm talking about the "this hurts I want to quit" mental aspect of conditioning, not "I think I tore a tendon" or "I'm significantly damaging myself" pain. There is a big difference.

I just completed a 17 mile in one day "hump" through mountainous terrain (including summiting a peak) . I did it for both physical and mental development. While the physical training aspect was undeniable, the most benefit I received from it is that I know I can override my brains messages to "give up!" and just keep on going. Of course I have military experience and knew that I already had some stress-inoculation on the topic, but I like to see if I still "have it" on occasion.

14374075_1194521927236982_914691006_n.jpg

There is a portion of martial arts training that should exist, which is the struggle. Pushing through the struggle is part of the development of self-discipline that so many of us gain from MA. If we can devise exercises that combine a planned struggle with something else (fitness development, practicing technique, etc.), then so much the better.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a portion of martial arts training that should exist, which is the struggle. Pushing through the struggle is part of the development of self-discipline that so many of us gain from MA. If we can devise exercises that combine a planned struggle with something else (fitness development, practicing technique, etc.), then so much the better.

Exactly. I believe that all true accomplishment comes with a "price".

Too few of us seem willing to push ourselves towards our limits in order to see "who we really are" these days.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I believe that all true accomplishment comes with a "price".

Too few of us seem willing to push ourselves towards our limits in order to see "who we really are" these days.
Indeed. I believe it's the price that makes the accomplishment so important to us, and so valuable. If I had gotten my black belt without having to work hard, it wouldn't have the meaning it has for me (nothing wrong with getting one that way, obviously, it just means something different). In fact, I found black easier to get than brown, so I think I had more emotional attachment to brown than I do to black.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree. What frightens me is what I perceive as the pussification of America.

Last edited: