Less-pain conditioning

Kevin__Huang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As you know, most martial arts teach you how to do conditioning. I just wanna know, is there any other way to do conditioning but lesser the pain?
Because whenever I started conditioning, I felt so much pain.

Sent from my D2305 using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you know, most martial arts teach you how to do conditioning. I just wanna know, is there any other way to do conditioning but lesser the pain?

That depends what you're talking about. If you are sore for many days afterward, you've started too hard. That extended pain is one of two things: acid buildup from over-training (sore muscles) or damage (sore connective tissue, usually) due to pushing too far. If your conditioning leaves you sore until the next conditioning session, you need to back off and let your body start to adapt. As your body becomes more accustomed to the workout (builds muscle, flexibility, and endurance) the soreness will be for shorter periods. If you work out hard, though, there should always be some soreness; that shows you pushed the muscles far enough that they need to build up more/better fibers. That's what conditioning is.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
You need to define conditioning. Do you mean exersize or do you mean physically taking hits to the body?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exercise and taking hits as well

For the exercise, it shouldn't be 'pain', but you should feel sore. For conditioning, if you are just starting to condition and you do not feel pain, there is an issue. No way to really avoid it.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just wanna know, is there any other way to do conditioning but lesser the pain?
Try some Head and Shoulders:

anti-hairfall-conditioner-500x500.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exercise and taking hits as well

I didn't address the taking hits side of this. With that, part of what you're doing is teaching your body how to respond to those impacts. If we aren't used to hits, our body reacts at a fairly high level: easy bruising, lots of soreness. If we take those moderate hits on a regular basis, our body reduces its response to them and some tissues toughen: less bruising, and most of the soreness doesn't show up. This, in my opinion, is actually among the biggest advantages someone who competes in full-contact fighting gets. There are downsides to full-contact, but it is inarguable that they can wade through much more punishment, which can be a huge benefit in some self-defense situations.

OP
Kevin__Huang

Kevin__Huang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For the exercise, it shouldn't be 'pain', but you should feel sore. For conditioning, if you are just starting to condition and you do not feel pain, there is an issue. No way to really avoid it.
Guess I overdone it then

OP
Kevin__Huang

Kevin__Huang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I didn't address the taking hits side of this. With that, part of what you're doing is teaching your body how to respond to those impacts. If we aren't used to hits, our body reacts at a fairly high level: easy bruising, lots of soreness. If we take those moderate hits on a regular basis, our body reduces its response to them and some tissues toughen: less bruising, and most of the soreness doesn't show up. This, in my opinion, is actually among the biggest advantages someone who competes in full-contact fighting gets. There are downsides to full-contact, but it is inarguable that they can wade through much more punishment, which can be a huge benefit in some self-defense situations.
So what you're trying to say is that my body haven't adapt for taking hits?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Are you in pain or simply uncomfortable?
Conditioning should not be painful but there will be some discomfort.
Go slow and easy in the beginning for both conditioning and tempering. Allow your body to rest and heal a couple of days between the sessions. Most of us go to hard and for to long that causes damage and pain in the beginning. Ease your way into it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That depends what you're talking about. If you are sore for many days afterward, you've started too hard. That extended pain is one of two things: acid buildup from over-training (sore muscles) or damage (sore connective tissue, usually) due to pushing too far. If your conditioning leaves you sore until the next conditioning session, you need to back off and let your body start to adapt. As your body becomes more accustomed to the workout (builds muscle, flexibility, and endurance) the soreness will be for shorter periods. If you work out hard, though, there should always be some soreness; that shows you pushed the muscles far enough that they need to build up more/better fibers. That's what conditioning is.

Not to be that guy, but muscle soreness after activity is not caused by lactic acid build up. Exercise physiologists have proven so relatively recently. Lactic acid is almost immediately sent to the liver where it is converted to pyruvate (don't quote me on the exact chemical; it could be glycogen, but I'm almost certain it isn't without looking it up). During activity, lactic acid will accumulate and cause "the burn" but it doesn't pool in the muscles like it was thought to. Soreness (or more accurately delayed onset muscle soreness DOMS) is due to the damage caused by exercise and the chemical mediators during the healing process/inflammatory response.

This means that while a proper cool down is still beneficial, it won't cut down on soreness like and more importantly for the reasons we were told it will.

Sorry, I can't get my sports medicine voices out of my head.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you don't feel pain during body conditioning (being hit), you're not doing it right. Too much pain isn't very good either. And it shouldn't linger on for days nor be debilitating. There should be a progression.

Latest Discussions