Length of average street fight and training

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How long would you say the average street fight takes? Thirty seconds or less? Longer? With this in mind, how many do thirty second or minute all out drills, using a heavy bag, or sparring? Do you think that they are a good idea? The best way to become an effective sprinter is to train your sprinting, not go for long slow walks, so if street self defense is about short bursts of intense activity isn't that how we should train?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my jump rope drills is to do a minute and a half as fast as I can. I also work my heavy bag sometimes with a fast flurry of punches and kicks. Pretty much for the reason you mention, to be sure I can do an strong anaerobic exertion for a spurt

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
while you can increase your ability to work aerobically, to put your body in an anaerobic state like that of a fight takes stress, not just physical stress, but mental, that will cause an adrenaline dump.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you're talking about two seperate things. I mean, sprinters work anaerobically as well. There's the physical conditioning side of being able to move without bringing in more oxygen, and the stress side of dealing with the adreneline surge For the first part, I believe you can do physical training to better your anaerobic capability

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of all the street fights I've seen and been in; off the top of my head I'd say they lasted no more than 2-3 minutes and going as long as 5-7 minutes... though they seem longer... especially if you're the participants. Most of them are general posturing, feints, circling, intimidation tactics and "C'mon sucker...make your move" , blowing hot air kind of stuff before the first punch is actually thrown. Watching the (street) fights that are available on the net can give you an idea of this.
Still a martial artist should train for endurance fighting that has maximum energy output over 15-25 minutes. If a fight is lasting longer than that then one of you isn't throwing their punches hard enough or accurately enough.
In every fight that I've been in my goal was to end it as quickly as possible. My longest fight was in high-school lasting more than five minutes after the first punch was thrown. Both of us were exhausted, bleeding and hurting and no clear winner. I won the yelling part of that contest though... and the cussing part too. :D It ended basically with "yeah, I kicked your ****" "No I kicked your ****" and so forth.
I was watching Rocky II the other night and something that the trainer, Mickey, said to Rocky: "...for a 45 minute fight a guy has to train for 45,000 minutes. 45,000! That's ten months!...." So following that logic a five minute fight should be trained for 5,000 minutes eh? Go figure.
Ultimately, imo, you should train WELL enough to end the fight in the first ten-15 seconds (of actual blows).

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Average? Probably very short. But, they can easily go for several minutes. I definitely try to prepare for longer ones. The JKD school I study at has drills that are good for this.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
It ended basically with "yeah, I kicked your ****" "No I kicked your ****" and so forth.
Well stated! Of course, the non-physical part of the fight continues on for years and years, with each side telling their stories of the "victory."

The "average" street fight (tailgater fight, bar room brawl, etc) seems to be over in a short time, as there are usually associates of the combatants on both sides of the fight. Usually, the two combatants will, as MACaver stated, circle around each other, throwing a few feints, probing out the opponent, until one recklessly charges into the other. Sometimes one gets the upper hand, and after that happens, gets pulled off the other guy by one or the other's buddies.

If someone lands a lucky shot, then it's over in a hurry. My graduate school roommate, who was from Scotland, levelled some fraterity boy with a wild haymaker of a punch, at a tailgater, knocking down the guy, until the other fraterity brothers gathered around their fallen brother, essentially stopping the fight from continuing.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally have only seen a very few that have gone over thirty seconds. What we have to remember is that most street fighters hold their breath when they fight. That mixed with mental stress, adrenal-surge and other external factors make their ability to last become very short. Increasing your physical ability and dealing with adrenal-stress are two entirely different things. There is a good article on how to deal with the stress side of a fight on www.uechi-ryu.com under the articles section. It is written by a former cop and is called "Fear as your ally."

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
lol going for more then 4 minutes is no problem for me, sometimes at my school we will spar 6 minutes, with only a 30 second break, of course, alot of the fight, is faking, but we still throw alot of blows:)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
How long would you say the average street fight takes? Thirty seconds or less? Longer? With this in mind, how many do thirty second or minute all out drills, using a heavy bag, or sparring? Do you think that they are a good idea? The best way to become an effective sprinter is to train your sprinting, not go for long slow walks, so if street self defense is about short bursts of intense activity isn't that how we should train?
The average is 30 seconds (though they seem like 20 minutes). I've rarely seen one go more than 2 minutes. In fact, at maximum output, with maximum adrenaline, 2 minutes is an eternity and usually those fighting are pretty pooped at that point.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
The average is 30 seconds (though they seem like 20 minutes).
Yup. And training may not mimic the effects of adrenaline, of the energy expended in blows that fail to land, of the pain and fear...so training to go for 5 minutes in the school may not be the same!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
searcher said:
There is a good article on how to deal with the stress side of a fight on www.uechi-ryu.com under the articles section. It is written by a former cop and is called "Fear as your ally."
Wasn't there a book written with the same title?

- Ceicei

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yup. And training may not mimic the effects of adrenaline, of the energy expended in blows that fail to land, of the pain and fear...so training to go for 5 minutes in the school may not be the same!
The effect of adrenaline should never be underestimated. Adrenaline is an interesting drug. It alters perception of time, it kills pain, it causes the heart to race, it reduces reaction time.....and it completely burns you out in short order if you're not careful.

It's definitely a high-octane fuel. It's a lot like running Nitrous-oxide. If you're not used to dealing with high doses of adrenaline, it can leave you too paralyzed to react. Adrenaline can be your best friend, or your worst enemy, depending on how you prepare for it and deal with it.

I can remember being a teenager, about to face an after-school confrontation, how the adrenaline dump would over-load my body. My limbs felt heavy, it felt hard to walk. My heart pounded in my chest, and my brain literally buzzed. Ultimately, it was fear of this bodily reaction that filled me more than fear of my opponent. The first time you truly deal with an all out adrenaline charge can be terrifying in and of itself. I think everyone has been there. I feared the adrenaline dump most of all.

Now, i've learned to view adrenaline as a useful tool. When pointed in the right direction, adrenaline can help you do more than you could possibly do without it. Part of the trick is to control breathing, so as to not allow adrenaline to overwhelm you. It's important to view adrenaline and the rest of the fight or flight response for what it is...a survival adaptation.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:

To put an exact time on it would be hard. I think that the best way to prepare would be to make sure that you're incorporating cardio into all of your workouts. I would think that adding in some scenario training would aid with this as well.

Mike

M

MisterMike

Whilst I can see the benefits of building your stamina, some of this sounds like the premis is based on staying face to face with the opponent and trading blows for up to 2 minutes.

Endurance may be good for dealing with multiple attackers, which by default would cover one attacker. I think the ultimate aim should be to end it as quickly as possible, rather than train for "boxing match"-like events.

This isn't to discredit the endurance or aerobic training, I incorporate that as well, but sometimes it may lead the student to think "sparring" is how it is expected to look on the street.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
Whilst I can see the benefits of building your stamina, some of this sounds like the premis is based on staying face to face with the opponent and trading blows for up to 2 minutes.

Endurance may be good for dealing with multiple attackers, which by default would cover one attacker. I think the ultimate aim should be to end it as quickly as possible, rather than train for "boxing match"-like events.

This isn't to discredit the endurance or aerobic training, I incorporate that as well, but sometimes it may lead the student to think "sparring" is how it is expected to look on the street.

I won't speak for anyone elses post, but as far as what I was referring to was the fact that nobody can predict how long this fight is going to last. Yes, by all means, end it as quick as possible. After all, like you said, we're not engaging in a boxing match, but a match that can mean you going home or to the hospital or worse. So, considering the fact we don't know how long it'll take, I'd rather be prepared for the long haul.

Just my .02.

Mike

T

Troy Ostapiw/Canada

I do all out drills working a combination of striking, sprawling, grappling and mass attacks 3-4 minute rounds. I believe that the average person can only fight full out for approximately 15-20 second, then the ATP in the muscles is reduced, bringing a persons strength down to aprox. 50% of their maximum. Lactic acid then begins to set in, after 30-40 second a person will become even weaker, their over all out put becomes approximately 35%, and continues to lower. The heart rate is up and the lungs begin to burn. Therefore conditioning is a very important component of martial arts. If you are well conditioned you can maintain the fight, and outlast even a larger opponent.

Anaerobic conditioning is great a great way to train your fighting skills.

I believe the philosophy of most martial artists is to finish the fight quickly, no more than 2-3 moves would be ideal, but the reality is this does not always happen, Murphy’s law states,” if something can go wrong it probably will”. It is important to be adaptive, well conditioned and able to fight in all possible ranges i.e.) Striking, trapping, grappling, (standing and on the ground) as well as weapons ranges knife, stick or baseball bat range. I have seen fights end very quickly, and some that have went on for more that 3 minutes. (You can do a lot of damage in 3 minutes) Usually the fight seems to go on longer if both individuals have little training. Martial arts training does not guarantee one will win the fight, but it does stack the odds in your favour. In turn this should allow a skilled player to finish the fight more quickly. Full out sparring, bag work and level changes with grappling as a last resort, are a great way to develop a well-conditioned body for self-defence. Prepare for the worst, chance favours the prepared mind & body in combat

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
I won't speak for anyone elses post, but as far as what I was referring to was the fact that nobody can predict how long this fight is going to last. Yes, by all means, end it as quick as possible. After all, like you said, we're not engaging in a boxing match, but a match that can mean you going home or to the hospital or worse. So, considering the fact we don't know how long it'll take, I'd rather be prepared for the long haul.

Just my .02.

Mike
Exactly. Unlike in the ring, where you know a little bit about your opponent, and have trained for him for a couple months or more, on the street you will likely know absolutely nothing about his skill or conditioning.

Furthermore, in the ring guys tap, the bell rings, the ref stops the fight, etc. On the street, the other guys adrenaline is going to be pumping to. That means that the idea of pacing yourself is entirely different. You can't plan for a break, as he may not be inclined to stop the fight at nice, round, 2 or 3 minute intervals.

Assuming you can't knock the other guy out or take him out quickly, you're looking at an all out exertion, until the first person wears out. If you're that first person, you have a problem.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Laborn said:
lol going for more then 4 minutes is no problem for me, sometimes at my school we will spar 6 minutes, with only a 30 second break, of course, alot of the fight, is faking, but we still throw alot of blows:)

We are not talking about sparing in class. Most of my students and most of each of my instructors' students can spar all night(like energizer bunnies). We are talking about "street fighting." It would be very arrogant to say that any of us would last for a certain ammount of time. With all of the factors that deterine how long a fight will last it is very hard to predict.

Latest Discussions