Leg locks and mind set

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stuart Cooper Films

Really hoping this link works.

Here is an insight in to how some of the top BJJ guys are training. But also how they mentally process their own training systems.

Undrestand the sort of shift in the entire foundation of a system is massive. But also with the correct attitude towards training how easily it was made.

people ask what makes a martial arts better. It is not the art but the ability to transform the art. So that these massive advances in fighting technology are possible.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really wanted to check that out. But I can't, it's Facebook. Facebook is worse than Big Brother to me and mine.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Stuart Cooper Films

Really hoping this link works.

Here is an insight in to how some of the top BJJ guys are training. But also how they mentally process their own training systems.

Undrestand the sort of shift in the entire foundation of a system is massive. But also with the correct attitude towards training how easily it was made.

people ask what makes a martial arts better. It is not the art but the ability to transform the art. So that these massive advances in fighting technology are possible.

Agreed. Aikido is going through this a bit now. Josh Gold of Ikazuchi Dojo who now publishes Aikido Journal, and people like Roy Dean and Bruce Bookman are pushing for an evolution in the way we train Aikido. We'll see what happens. Right now it is small and on a micro level, but it could definitely increase.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Erik Paulson has been doing and advocating leg locks since the 90's. Got booed for years for leg locking people in BJJ tournaments, suddenly in the past few years leglocks are in vogue.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really wanted to check that out. But I can't, it's Facebook. Facebook is worse than Big Brother to me and mine.

Yeah i tried to find it on you tube but no luck.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. Aikido is going through this a bit now. Josh Gold of Ikazuchi Dojo who now publishes Aikido Journal, and people like Roy Dean and Bruce Bookman are pushing for an evolution in the way we train Aikido. We'll see what happens. Right now it is small and on a micro level, but it could definitely increase.

Hopefully people can embrace new concepts. I have talked to gpseymore of the importance of pressure in relation to Aiki. That would be the same sort of massive shift in concept that those BJJer just adopted.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of leg locks and have been training them since I was a white belt, so I appreciate the work Danaher and his crew have been putting in to researching that aspect of the game.

Sometimes to expand your perspective of a system you just need to take a step back and look at things from a higher level. It's true that leglocks don't fit well into the classic takedown-pass guard-pin the upper body-submit sequence that Danaher mentions. But take a step back and ask "what is the purpose of that sequence?" The answer - to achieve a position where you control your opponent's body so that he cannot harm you but you can harm him. Once you recognize this as your goal, then you realize how BJJ can encompass not only leglocks but also other non-classical approaches such as wrestling style rides.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm a fan of leg locks and have been training them since I was a white belt, so I appreciate the work Danaher and his crew have been putting in to researching that aspect of the game.

Sometimes to expand your perspective of a system you just need to take a step back and look at things from a higher level. It's true that leglocks don't fit well into the classic takedown-pass guard-pin the upper body-submit sequence that Danaher mentions. But take a step back and ask "what is the purpose of that sequence?" The answer - to achieve a position where you control your opponent's body so that he cannot harm you but you can harm him. Once you recognize this as your goal, then you realize how BJJ can encompass not only leglocks but also other non-classical approaches such as wrestling style rides.

MMA has that slightly different sets of progressions as well. Standing being a dominant option.

One of the reasons I like playing with multiple systems.

Chester Wright

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Leg locks are an important part of Jiu Jitsu (Grappling), they equate to a little less than 40% of your attack options while rolling. The thought that some schools still don't advocate the use of leg locks blows my mind! You can attack an opponent without having to pass their guard (Don't get me wrong passing the guard is a very important aspect of Jiu Jitsu!), and the control that can be gained from locking and opponents legs and in return their hips can hinder and break an opponents will just as well as any mount, side control, or back control position can when done well.

Latest Discussions