LEarning to take strikes article

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good in theory. Try it in a street fight when the blows come fast and furious and when you're scared out of your mind. Better off learning how to move your feet and get out of the way, cover up with your arms and do your sit ups. You'll get hit in sparring, let that be your conditioning in how to take shots.

Granted, breathing out is important if you see it coming.

L

lonekimono10

Kenpo_man said:
Good in theory. Try it in a street fight when the blows come fast and furious and when you're scared out of your mind. Better off learning how to move your feet and get out of the way, cover up with your arms and do your sit ups. You'll get hit in sparring, let that be your conditioning in how to take shots.

way to go kenpo-man

I

Ironman

Kenpo_man said:

I would say it is more than a theory; in Systema people are taught NOT to get scared in actual situations and move with fluidity and relaxation. Ofcourse, this would be a theory if one took the HARD approach to it.

L

lonekimono10

Ironman said:
I would say it is more than a theory; in Systema people are taught NOT to get scared in actual situations and move with fluidity and relaxation. Ofcourse, this would be a theory if one took the HARD approach to it.
not from the video's i saw,

L

lonekimono10

oh yes there is something i wanted to add ,i saw that in the video's that when you hit,(there was that hammer fist on the back ) you did not drop, (MOG) now please don't take this the wrong way, but where is your power coming from while doing that standing up(like you where in the video

OP
P

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
oh yes there is something i wanted to add ,i saw that in the video's that when you hit,(there was that hammer fist on the back ) you did not drop, (MOG) now please don't take this the wrong way, but where is your power coming from while doing that standing up(like you where in the video

Sorry,

I do not understand what your point is. Please translate into English.....

Thanks,

Paul Genge

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ironman said:
It's a theory unless they go out, get in street fights and test it out then. I mean no offense to the system and I see some value in the training but I don't think it sets you up for a street fight as well as sparring with some good hard contact would.

I

Ironman

Kenpo_man said:
It's a theory unless they go out, get in street fights and test it out then. I mean no offense to the system and I see some value in the training but I don't think it sets you up for a street fight as well as sparring with some good hard contact would.
hmm, makes sense then why the Russian special forces train in it. Please do your research on the art before you make redicules comments as to its effectivness and other aspects; even better, attend a seminar or visit a near by school and experience it for your self.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:

MOG is an abbreviation of a Kenpo term meaning Marriage of Gravity. It refers to using body weight coupled with gravities acceleration to maximize downward strikes.

I guess I'm tired but I don't see the downward hammerfist to the back, which video is this in?

The strikes I did watch were not ideal strikes with respect to my exposure to Systema. There was to much tension in the delivery of the strikes.

George, if your ever in Central Ohio (Mount Vernon) stop buy the Panther Kenpo Karate studios and I'll be glad to compare technique execution and demonstrate how Systema can enhance American Kenpo. :asian:

Respectfully,

Jeff

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo_man said:
In my experience, Systema does a better job then most Kenpo schools at teaching its students to not freeze up when suprised or struck hard. Sparring, even freestyle sparring rarely employs a blind side attack as the first strike. Most Kenpo schools , even when practicing a mass attack, take turns movie style rather than truly being attacked on all sides.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Brad S.

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"to understand what a strike is , you must know how a strike feels"

Well...according to this criteria you need to experience Systema-type strikes and your question will be answered.

If your only understanding of power generation and the effectiveness of strikes comes from MOG, Back-Up Mass and Torque then the fundamentals of what is going on are outside your field of understanding.

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
In my experience, Systema does a better job then most Kenpo schools at teaching its students to not freeze up when suprised or struck hard. Sparring, even freestyle sparring rarely employs a blind side attack as the first strike. Most Kenpo schools , even when practicing a mass attack, take turns movie style rather than truly being attacked on all sides.

Respectfully,

Jeff
I agree that kenpo doesn't usually teach you how to take a strike. My 200 pound muay thai instructor taught me how to take a strike. Like I said, I see SOME value in the training but I think that in a real situation it would be a little different. Ironman said my statements were ridiculous. Perhaps he would like to quote exactly what I said that was so ridiculous. I actually had a very thorough look over the site he linked and was mostly pretty impressed. Sorry if I insulted you or your style. I actually did the kind of training that is in that video when I took wado ryu years ago. I did a LOT of it. Then I got punched in the stomach while sparring and couldn't breath for awhile. That's where my opinion comes from. Just saying that it's hard when you don't see it coming.

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ironman said:
hmm, makes sense then why the Russian special forces train in it.
I watched a documentary on the Russian special forces guys where they broke bottles on their heads and had huge sticks broken on their backs and stomachs. I think that kind of training is a whole different story entirely. If you guys train that hard then I honestly wouldn't want to meet you guys in a street fight. You'd be pretty tough characters if you do the stuff they did.

Anyone who breaks bottles on their head is tougher than me!!!

I

Ironman

Kenpo_man said:
I agree that kenpo doesn't usually teach you how to take a strike. My 200 pound muay thai instructor taught me how to take a strike. Like I said, I see SOME value in the training but I think that in a real situation it would be a little different. Ironman said my statements were ridiculous. Perhaps he would like to quote exactly what I said that was so ridiculous. I actually had a very thorough look over the site he linked and was mostly pretty impressed. Sorry if I insulted you or your style. I actually did the kind of training that is in that video when I took wado ryu years ago. I did a LOT of it. Then I got punched in the stomach while sparring and couldn't breath for awhile. That's where my opinion comes from. Just saying that it's hard when you don't see it coming.
Well first of all, there are various systema practioners who have successfuly survived dangerous situtations (i will let them tell it should they wish). The redicules part of your statement is saying that Systema doesn't work when clearly you have never experienced it, and no its not the same as Wado Ryu or any other Soft/ Internal arts, sure it might LOOK the similar but alot of people coming from different backgrounds seem to see something similar in it. Even a Kenpo practioner acknowleges it, what more can you ask for (well a Ferrari maybe). Here are some vidoes that show some 'fast' work:

http://www.systemauk.com/video2.htm look under class clips!

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo_man said:
No insult taken, no hard feelings.

I agree that muay thai helps teach how to take a strike and give back.

Jeff

L

lonekimono10

Brad S. said:
"to understand what a strike is , you must know how a strike feels"

Well...according to this criteria you need to experience Systema-type strikes and your question will be answered.

If your only understanding of power generation and the effectiveness of strikes comes from MOG, Back-Up Mass and Torque then the fundamentals of what is going on are outside your field of understanding.
ok Brad i'm going to end this stuff right here and now
1. i see that you don"t have a time line on how long you have been in the martial arts.
2 i don't care about what you do , but i see you take my quote and use it.

3. you don't know what you are talking about and thats that, so live with it son
i was doing kenpo when you were in hiding in the bathroom, know who you are talking to before you say crap like that, if you don't like what i said here is my cell # i would be happy to talk to you, 856-229-5697 call me .

Jackal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:

Could you please point out which video you're referring to here? Perhaps a link? I didn't see the hammer fist on the back. Thanks.

L

lonekimono10

Jackal said:
Could you please point out which video you're referring to here? Perhaps a link? I didn't see the hammer fist on the back. Thanks.
let me fine it i'll give you the link

Latest Discussions