Learning the History of Martial Arts!

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my kung Fu class the assistant instructor was showing us a Preying Mantis form and then told us the story of how the sytem came about! I already knew through my own research because this interests me. But how many of you are really interested in how your systems were created or are you more concerned with learning to fight, to get fit or get to black belt?
Its nice to get some insight into how our system was created and why we do what we do. It balances our training in that we are not only learning how to fight but repect for our Arts.
So what do you know about the history of your Martial Art?

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The history of TKD depends on who you talk to. The Karate guys seem to believe that TKD is just a version of Karate. The ITF guys all believe Gen. Choi created it, and everyone else believes it has existed for 2000 years. I believe Tae Kwon Do is based on indigenous Korean fighting techniques with contributions from Japanese and Chinese styles. Don't forget, no nation exists in a vacuum, and each of the original Kwan Jang brought a different background (Tae Kyon, Shotokan, Kung Fu).
So Tae Kwon Do is not 2000 years old, but neither is it simply bastardized Shotokan or Kung Fu.
I also feel that Gen. Choi was important politically in the history of TKD, but was NOT its creator. He gave himself far too much credit and had a definite ego problem.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I'm not about try and type out everything I know about TKD's history here. Let's just say I do my best to seek out all the different versions of it that I can. I tend to take an interest in the histories of any arts I train in, and sometimes in arts I don't train in, but am considering. I think it helps give me a better feel for why a style does things a certain way. I'm also a bit of a nerd. :ultracool

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think that learning the history gives you an advantage over other martial artists. Not just because you know why you do what you do, but it conditions your mind so that you can completely immerse yourself in whatever art you train in.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does history have to do with self defense?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zoran said:
It helps to know history with all the martial arts messiahs running around claiming they finaly found a true way. :asian:
Sean

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All American Kenpo Schools I have been in and I would venture to say that most American kenpo Schools teach the history of the art. I know it was part of every one of our written exams for each belt.

Respectfully

T

tumpaiguy

Most people that I train with don't just do it for the self defense. I like to hear the stories about the people that created the different arts and the things they went through.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
It helps to know history with all the martial arts messiahs running around claiming they finaly found a true way. :asian:
Sean

I don't dispute this nor the value of knowing the history of martial arts. I did quite a bit of research on it. My point was that this is the "General Self Defense" section of the forum. I think this thread would be best if it was moved to General discussions as there may be more visible and attract more posts from others.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Zoran said:
I don't dispute this nor the value of knowing the history of martial arts. I did quite a bit of research on it. My point was that this is the "General Self Defense" section of the forum. I think this thread would be best if it was moved to General discussions as there may be more visible and attract more posts from others.
sheesh... who cares. It was an interesting post either way.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zoran said:

"Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it." True self defense is based in knowledge, not just technique. The best knowledge is based in past experiences, our own or others'.

Consequently, I understand your issue of thread placement, but there is no reason the thread can't continue.

I recently have found that I practice less for the application and more for enjoyment. The only thing I enjoy more than meeting the people and hearing the personal stories is looking at the history of the arts.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We can debate if it should be here but if you really want to do that stat another thread. :uhyeah: Now that would be absurd.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Learning about the history of your chosen art(s) can add a certain depth to your practice. After all, we can't be training all the time, and learning about the trials and insights of those who came before can give us a new or refreshed way of looking at our own efforts. Just be sure to remember that what passes for history in the martial arts is, as often as not, oral tradition. You know, I'm sure, how reliable word of mouth can be. So go on, study martial arts history- it can be an enjoyable pastime. Just remember that very little of it is carved in stone.

Latest Discussions