Learning from DVD's

TigerHeart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I’m learning karate. DVDs help while learning with an instructor. Learning dvds without instructor is hard if you are self teaching. With instructor, you learn better and doing correctly and more understanding on the forms.

Reactions: KPM

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should be able to learn this "side kick, spin back fist" combo from video.

w2.gif

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How well do you think you could learn from DVD's in terms of forms/moves etc? I know nothing can replace sparring with a real person, especially chi sao. :)

DOWNLOAD: Adam Chan - Core Self Defense Set - Pragmatic Martial Arts
having read the blurb, you would do as well with coopers colour codes, it seems to be mostly phycobabble and not much about actually fighting

and no, you can't learn to fight off a off a,dvd, like you can't learn to ride a bike off a dvd

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I figured.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How well do you think you could learn from DVD's in terms of forms/moves etc? I know nothing can replace sparring with a real person, especially chi sao

I think it depends on three things. The learners background(karate, kali, kung fu), the quality of instruction in the video, and what techniques are being shown. Meaning if the learner has a good Karate background he will have an easier time learning new striking techniques from a video, but will have a harder time learning throws from a video judo without a grappling background. The quality of instruction varies greatly video to video. If they explain the dynamics and application of the techniques, then yes you can learn a lot from videos. Essentially if you have a good foundation you can add many things onto it as long as it's related to what you have experience in.

For example; we practice multiple weapon disarms in Kali. I understand the dynamics of disarms, a lot of it comes down to distance, leverage and angles. Thus I've watched some weapons disarm videos and have been able to execute them in class. I don't think I would be able to do the same if I watched throws on a judo video. We do throws in Kali, but we do them differently than Judokas do.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How well do you think you could learn from DVD's in terms of forms/moves etc? I know nothing can replace sparring with a real person, especially chi sao. :)

It depends on what you are learning and if you are getting feedback from a knowledgeable teacher. The problem with DVD only learning is that no one is there to correct you when you are doing something incorrectly. The other factor will be how much do you know and understand of the system in the DVD.

Edit: Ultimately you'll need a really good teacher, a detailed DVD, and feed back from an actual instructor who can watch a video of the student and make corrections.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

More than once in forums when people have posted to essentially say: "I am really interested in learning Wing Chun. But the nearest instructor is X hours away from me" I have advised them to contact that instructor to find out what lineage he or she is in. Then find out if anyone in the lineage has released instructional DVDs. Or ask the instructor which DVD series they would recommend. Then find a partner and started working from the DVDs. Then visit that instructor as often as your budget and schedule allows to get direct instruction, feedback, and correction. No, this is not the optimal way to learn. But with a little bit of physical talent as well as some persistent hard work it is very workable. Invest in a video camera and get the instructor's permission to film lessons or feedback when you visit him.

Now, if you are already learning or have learned Wing Chun and have a good grasp of the basic structure and mechanics, you can watch other people's DVD series and learn a lot. You can pick up on different interpretations or applications of techniques. You can learn a different approach or deeper understanding of some of the concepts. You might even pick up on good things that you missed in class because you weren't there or they simply weren't taught.

Most people that can learn well in an actual class can also learn well from watching a DVD. Its a matter of being able to think in 3 dimensions and take something you see visually and do it physically. You might be seeing the instructor standing in front of you in a group class or you might be seeing an instructor in front of you on the TV screen. The benefit of the live instructor over the TV screen is that he can say..."Hey you! You're doing that wrong! Do it this way!" ;) So you have to have the ability to pay close attention to the movement, watch yourself in a mirror, and self-correct. Otherwise you can learn a lot from DVDs!

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great points. We have DVDs at the Moy Yat school I’ve been going to. In fact I’ve learned a lot of SNT from ththe DVD which is old footage of Moy Yat doing it. I think as many states it’s good to get that correction from your teacher at certain points. I can see myself learning a good amount via DVD.

Parky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

If you have a martial arts base that came from real hands on instruction, hopefully good instruction, and you know your own body, generally speaking DVD's can be a nice supplement to your training...as long as they are instructional and not merely demonstrations. By instructional I mean someone explaining the 'why' of what they are doing, rather than just showing the choreography of something like a form. Practicing choreography in forms and even drills (without an understanding of 'why') is a waste of time...to me. You must understand the purpose of what you are doing.

I have a seminar dvd of Chu Shong Tin. In his Chum Kiu seminar he explains 2-way (multi-vector) force. Years ago when I viewed the video I kind of understood that part. He also explained using the Center of Mass. I did not get that part. It was 10 years later before I met a teacher who could help me understand how to use the Center of Mass. If I wanted to, now, I could go back and review that old dvd with a deeper understanding of Center, and my understanding of Center use is likely to get even better. On that same seminar video, Chu Shong Tin demonstrates the chum kiu form. His form demonstration is the part of the dvd with little to no value. If watching someone perform a form or drill is all a person had for instruction, then better to look for a real teacher.

Often times you can't learn much from a hands-on instructor any better than a dvd...because, well, many instructors out there aren't very good. In my personal WC journey I kissed a lot of frogs, a lot, in order to find a prince or two. Learning MA aint like learning Algebra, baby.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More than once in forums when people have posted to essentially say: "I am really interested in learning Wing Chun. But the nearest instructor is X hours away from me" I have advised them to contact that instructor to find out what lineage he or she is in. Then find out if anyone in the lineage has released instructional DVDs. Or ask the instructor which DVD series they would recommend. Then find a partner and started working from the DVDs. Then visit that instructor as often as your budget and schedule allows to get direct instruction, feedback, and correction. No, this is not the optimal way to learn. But with a little bit of physical talent as well as some persistent hard work it is very workable. Invest in a video camera and get the instructor's permission to film lessons or feedback when you visit him.

Now, if you are already learning or have learned Wing Chun and have a good grasp of the basic structure and mechanics, you can watch other people's DVD series and learn a lot. You can pick up on different interpretations or applications of techniques. You can learn a different approach or deeper understanding of some of the concepts. You might even pick up on good things that you missed in class because you weren't there or they simply weren't taught.

Most people that can learn well in an actual class can also learn well from watching a DVD. Its a matter of being able to think in 3 dimensions and take something you see visually and do it physically. You might be seeing the instructor standing in front of you in a group class or you might be seeing an instructor in front of you on the TV screen. The benefit of the live instructor over the TV screen is that he can say..."Hey you! You're doing that wrong! Do it this way!" ;) So you have to have the ability to pay close attention to the movement, watch yourself in a mirror, and self-correct. Otherwise you can learn a lot from DVDs!
I'll add that if you have that video camera, you should video yourself doing the things you are practicing. Then compare what you do to what's on the DVD and what you videoed of your instructor. It's not great feedback, but you'll be surprised what you find yourself doing that you didn't think you were. I do this with myself sometimes when I teach classes. It helps if I know what my students are seeing, and sometimes I get to see something I do that works, that I didn't realize I was doing - an unconscious adaptation that helps me out - then I can incorporate that in what I teach.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my thought on using DVD/video to support training:
  • If you have a foundation to work from, video can be a useful tool for learning new techniques (related to ones you already know) or variations of existing techniques.
  • If you are thinking of supporting forms from video, only use videos that are extremely close to what your instructor does, and use the videos simply as a reminder of the movements (and a way to look at small points you didn't pay attention to during class).
  • Don't try to learn anything new from video at first. Use it only to support what you are learning from your instructor. This way you don't incorporate any misunderstood movements and principles before your instructor has a chance to cover the technique/form.
  • Aside from the first example (and preferably even then), always combine video with feedback from an instructor or other reasonably advanced practitioner of the art (not someone who is just learning it).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even in person, when I show a student to perform, say, a middle-body block, they imitate what they see me do, and then I have to correct them. Usually many times per student. This is not because I am a terrible instructor or because they are a terrible student. It is because even as simple a movement as a middle body block has many subtle nuances that mere eyeballs and repetition do not correctly interpret.

I show. They do. I correct. We repeat. About a thousand times.

No video can make corrections. No book can encapsulate all the necessary requirements, nor note what the student does right or wrong.

I have seen the results of video learning. Uniformly terrible.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not recommend dvd as the primary or only mode of instruction.

If you are getting quality instruction from a good teacher face-to-face and hands-on, hen the right dvd can be a good supplemental aid.

I do not recommend anyone try to learn a method via dvd alone.