Learn martial arts

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How to learn martial arts at home?
Without any MA teacher, one guy in Taiwan used the following training method at home. After 1 years of this simple training, he won the 1st place in CMA tournament in Taiwan. In that tournament, nobody could get away from his head punches.

- Drill 2 holes on both side of a coconut.
- Tie 2 ropes on both holes on each side.
- Tie those ropes between 2 trees.
- Punch 1,000 times with your fist daily when that coconut is bouncing between 2 trees.

What you can learn from this training are:

- fast footwork,
- accuracy punch,
- strong punch,
- continuous punches,

Just like this guy did in this clip.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
OP
littledragon997

littledragon997

White Belt
Reaction score
Without any MA teacher, one guy in Taiwan used the following training method at home. After 1 years of this simple training, he won the 1st place in CMA tournament in Taiwan. In that tournament, nobody could get away from his head punches.

- Drill 2 holes on both side of a coconut.
- Tie 2 ropes on both holes on each side.
- Tie those ropes between 2 trees.
- Punch 1,000 times with your fist daily when that coconut is bouncing between 2 trees.

What you can learn from this training are:

- fast footwork,
- accuracy punch,
- strong punch,
- continuous punches,

Just like this guy did in this clip.

Thank you for sharing

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing
When I was 11, my brother in law taught me an open hand form and a staff form. One day I got into a fight and I didn't know how to use those techniques from the form that he taught me. I complained to him. He said that he didn't know I was interested in fighting. He stopped teaching me any more form. He forced me to train "1 step 3 punches" for the next 3 years.

That training change the way that I look at MA for the rest of my life. MA is not you know 100 techniques in your brain. MA is how well you can do 1 technique on your body.

Last edited:

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Learning MA on your own is nearly impossible. However, if you can get out once a week, consider iaido. It is entirely solo, and you can practice at home alone between classes for HOURS.

If you are literally a prisoner in your own home, try yoga videos or P90X or something.

Some people start HEMA on their own, but it's far from optimal. You need other people to train with eventually.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I guess it depends, it's obviously not optimal but you can still get some quality training in, provided that you A) understand the material/technique/principles and B) understand how to apply it.

I've gone and attempted to learn katas that weren't offered in my style. And obviously they wouldn't be perfect without guidance, but already with an understanding of the technique, stances, transitions and principles it made it so much easier to learn. To do it from scratch would be quite tricky... but there really is some great stuff on YouTube.. but the ability to discern the great from not so great would be needed :S

Good luck anyways littledragon997!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Xue and gpseymour beat me to it. Those things are fine (actually great) to help fitness, and will probably do a better job than trying to learn an actual martial art...If your goal was to learn how to defend yourself or learn a martial art, rather than health/fitness, no online resource would be able to help you without also going to class.

Yes, as gpseymour, Xue and kempodisciple say. Fitness to avoid obesity does not require study of a martial art. You can do it with exercise and diet control. In fact, I would say you would get better results quicker with some type of fitness workout.

As to self taught from videos, you can do that. But to borrow from another saying, if you teach yourself martial arts from videos, you will have a poorly trained student. You cannot properly learn a martial art without a competent instructor and good practice partners.

It doesn't make a difference if you are studying a striking/kicking art or a grappling art, or any other legitimate art.

In striking arts, if you can't strike/kick with your body parts in proper position, you will probably not strike or kick with sufficient force. Worse, you may injure yourself. If you don't train sparring with a partner how will you know what to do with the moves you learn and the moves and defenses he puts on you?; you won't.

In a grappling art, if you don't see the slight nuances of a move, you cannot apply them correctly. If they are not applied correctly, they will not work correctly. You should not have to power through a technique, but apply it correctly to make it work.

Most videos will only be of use if you have a partner to practice with, and an instructor who can correct what may seem small things to you, to make a move worth while, and non-injurious to yourself.

OP
littledragon997

littledragon997

White Belt
Reaction score
When I was 11, my brother in law taught me an open hand form and a staff form. One day I got into a fight and I didn't know how to use those techniques from the form that he taught me. I complained to him. He said that he didn't know I was interested in fighting. He stopped teaching me any more form. He forced me to train "1 step 3 punches" for the next 3 years.

That training change the way that I look at MA for the rest of my life. MA is not you know 100 techniques in your brain. MA is how well you can do 1 technique on your body.

That's a good story!

I thank you very much. It is wonderful to have someone with us learn martial arts

OP
littledragon997

littledragon997

White Belt
Reaction score
Learning MA on your own is nearly impossible. However, if you can get out once a week, consider iaido. It is entirely solo, and you can practice at home alone between classes for HOURS.

If you are literally a prisoner in your own home, try yoga videos or P90X or something.

Some people start HEMA on their own, but it's far from optimal. You need other people to train with eventually.
thanks you, I will try once

You are the one who has experience, Experienced to pay very expensive price...while I was only 21 years old

OP
littledragon997

littledragon997

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I guess it depends, it's obviously not optimal but you can still get some quality training in, provided that you A) understand the material/technique/principles and B) understand how to apply it.

I've gone and attempted to learn katas that weren't offered in my style. And obviously they wouldn't be perfect without guidance, but already with an understanding of the technique, stances, transitions and principles it made it so much easier to learn. To do it from scratch would be quite tricky... but there really is some great stuff on YouTube.. but the ability to discern the great from not so great would be needed :S

Good luck anyways littledragon997!
Thank Simon very much...
I will try to spend a lot of time practicing....fFor martial arts to become life

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You can help me!

How to learn martial arts at home

Do you have any website that teaches martial arts?

thanks! :)

If you want to learn martial arts at home start with this step:

1) Stretch Out - Before you begin learning martial arts focus on flexibility. Learning to stretch properly before working out will reduce injury and allow you to exert a greater range of motion as you progress.
2) Get in Shape - One of the main reasons people are attracted to martial arts is self-defense. Being in good shape is tantamount to learning to defend yourself. Adopt a daily workout session that targets your cardiovascular system and the three major muscle areas of legs, core and upper body.
3) Learn to Stand
4) Learn to Visualize and to Strike
5) Getting Specific - You will want to hone in on the specifics of your martial art style of choice.
6) Considerations - Developing the habit of learning martial arts at home will serve you well in the long run.

I will be glad if this information helps you. And I too knew a website which provides all the martial arts and fitness class. If you want that let me know.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to learn martial arts at home start with this step:

1) Stretch Out - Before you begin learning martial arts focus on flexibility. Learning to stretch properly before working out will reduce injury and allow you to exert a greater range of motion as you progress.
2) Get in Shape - One of the main reasons people are attracted to martial arts is self-defense. Being in good shape is tantamount to learning to defend yourself. Adopt a daily workout session that targets your cardiovascular system and the three major muscle areas of legs, core and upper body.
3) Learn to Stand
4) Learn to Visualize and to Strike
5) Getting Specific - You will want to hone in on the specifics of your martial art style of choice.
6) Considerations - Developing the habit of learning martial arts at home will serve you well in the long run.

I will be glad if this information helps you. And I too knew a website which provides all the martial arts and fitness class. If you want that let me know.
I agree with 1 and 2...the rest will just give you bad habits when you decide to actually learn a martial art.

Latest Discussions