Learn Karate in "Three Or Four" Years?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try doing pole dancing and crossfit before saying that it's 'only fitness'. You generalise everything into something you think approximates what you are trying to prove, it's quite amusing watching you argue with people who do actually know what they are talking about. :D:D

It could actually be the best time to learn, who knows? It might be when you've learnt how you actually spent your life as opposed to what you think you did. :D
them old dears aren't doing anything remotely like,cross fit, and pole dancing is the wrong gender marker for me

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing to do with your points, but a lot to do with mine
Not really. You made no points that were specific to sports. You made points about learning difficult activities. Oh, and your comment about old, fat guys wasn't originally even about it being a sport, but about it being easy to learn. You're not even being consistent within your specious arguments any more.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really. You made no points that were specific to sports. You made points about learning difficult activities. Oh, and your comment about old, fat guys wasn't originally even about it being a sport, but about it being easy to learn. You're not even being consistent within your specious arguments any more.
no i definitely made a point that golf is not a,sport, i also said its easy to learn AND that its only got got three moves, hit long , hit short and put, jeez its almost darts, darts with lakes and a few trees and mostly played by fat people with asthma flat feet and a heart condition, that pay people to do the only actual exercise involved, ie carrying the clubs, or ride around in a cart so they don't have to even walk

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no i definitely made a point that golf is not a,sport, i also said its easy to learn AND that its only got got three moves, hit long , hit short and put, jeez its almost darts, darts with lakes and a few trees and mostly played by fat people with asthma flat feet and a heart condition, that pay people to do the only actual exercise involved, ie carrying the clubs, or ride around in a cart so they don't have to even walk
Yes, you made the point that golf is not a sport. But you've made no attempt to show why that distinction is pertinent (nor to define "sport", except to exclude something old guys do...interestingly, I've seen old, fat guys play soccer...just sayin').

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, you made the point that golf is not a sport. But you've made no attempt to show why that distinction is pertinent (nor to define "sport", except to exclude something old guys do...interestingly, I've seen old, fat guys play soccer...just sayin').
maybe but they don't pay young fit people to carry the ball for them.
for some unknown reason you have decided to bring golf into the,conversation as a comparator to learning karate,?????????.

its not a good comparator as its only has three moves and its not even a proper sport, you might as well throw tiddly winks in to the mix, which is arguably a more difficult game as it has strategy

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe but they don't pay young fit people to carry the ball for them.
for some unknown reason you have decided to bring golf into the,conversation as a comparator to learning karate,?????????.
Because it's something that takes more than a few hours to learn to a reasonable competency (contrary to your view that being able to get the ball in the air is good enough).

its not a good comparator as its only has three moves and its not even a proper sport, you might as well throw tiddly winks in to the mix, which is arguably a more difficult game as it has strategy
Yeah, and I never compared it - you're stuck on that. And you still haven't made any cogent argument as to why only sports are relevant to what is actually a discussion of developing physical skill.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because it's something that takes more than a few hours to learn to a reasonable competency (contrary to your view that being able to get the ball in the air is good enough).

Yeah, and I never compared it - you're stuck on that. And you still haven't made any cogent argument as to why only sports are relevant to what is actually a discussion of developing physical skill.
if you are not making any comparisons between learning golf and learning karate, then why have you rattled on for post after post about learning golf, in a thread about learning karate

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are not making any comparisons between learning golf and learning karate, then why have you rattled on for post after post about learning golf, in a thread about learning karate
I just answered that in the post you quoted. Maybe read it again?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just answered that in the post you quoted. Maybe read it again?
no you didn't, you just denied it,hence the follow up question,, of why you introduced the topic of golf and banged on about it for page after page

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no you didn't, you just denied it,hence the follow up question,, of why you introduced the topic of golf and banged on about it for page after page
Actually, I didn't deny bringing up golf. Try reading it again.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the post i was replying to said , it takes 30 to 40 YEARS to master karate, nothing about 10, 000 hours, which in its self is just a made up number you can't support with data,.

if the YEARS thing was true then the Olympic would be full of 46 year old gymnast, and it isn't.

if you want to establish the 10, 000 hour thing as a fact, then post up some FACTS to support it
Been gone doing real world productivity for a while. Got back and noted this in the alerts.

I originally heard about the 10,000 hour thing from Bob Rea, judo 6th dan, and a M.S. in Physical Education. It came into the public in Malcolm Gladwell's book, Outliers, in which he's talking repeatedly about studies done by Anders Ericsson. So, I did a bit of research on it, and it appears that a lot of people just want to say that a lot (i.e. 10,000 hours, give or take) of practice isn't necessary. I noted in passing that nearly all of the people who are trying to say the rule is B.S. are trying to sell something, give a method to shorten the time drastically. In other words, selling shortcuts. Another way to say, selling snake oil. You believe whatever you want, Jobo. The comment about the older gymnastic folks is off target and illogical, bodies break down.. that's a totally different physiological process.

Latest Discussions