Learn Karate in "Three Or Four" Years?

Fuhrer Drumpf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was reading Anko Itosu's "Ten Precepts of Karate" (1908) and found this peculiar passage:

3. Karate cannot be quickly learned. Like a slow moving bull, it eventually travels a thousand leagues. If one trains diligently for one or two hours every day, then in three or four years one will understand karate. Those who train in this fashion will discover the deeper principles of karate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always good when someone can read.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was reading Anko Itosu's "Ten Precepts of Karate" (1908) and found this peculiar passage:

3. Karate cannot be quickly learned. Like a slow moving bull, it eventually travels a thousand leagues. If one trains diligently for one or two hours every day, then in three or four years one will understand karate. Those who train in this fashion will discover the deeper principles of karate.

2 hrs a day for 4 years is 2924hrs.
So for the average hobbyist 2hrs twice a week is 104 hrs per year, which means you would achieve understanding in 28.1 years.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

And yet martial arts shouldn't take years to learn. Maybe the masters know something after all.

OP
F

Fuhrer Drumpf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So for the average hobbyist 2hrs twice a week is 104 hrs per year, which means you would achieve understanding in 28.1 years.

That's quite a convoluted reading.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually it's not. Skills are learned by the neural growth in the brain for both muscle memory and comprehension. The time it takes for synaptic growth is kinda set by biology and evolution. There are no short cuts. Hours in, skills out.

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score

Hi Fuhrer drumpf,
I believe "understand" is subtle and means arriving at principles of understanding the first steps(shodan level). I don't think in the context that it is implied to learn(master) karate.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
“One becomes a beginner after 1,000 days of training, and an expert after 10,000 days of practice.”
~ Masutatsu Oyama

So 2.7 years to become a beginner, and a little over 27 years to become an expert.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
7FC671C2-DAD7-4D16-9B92-BD754B61F3EF.jpeg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not convoluted, at all. It matches the time commitment in the quote you posted. If we cut the time in half, it still gives us 14 years. Going/practicing more often can change the calendar time required.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually 2 hours twice a week would be 208 hours per year, so a little over 14 years.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, I corrected myself already. Most classes aren't 2 hours.
I'm used to places that have either 1.5 or 2 hour classes, or back to back classes you can attend. If that's not the norm, good chance it was just a typo in the original post.=, then the 28 years would be right.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm used to places that have either 1.5 or 2 hour classes, or back to back classes you can attend. If that's not the norm, good chance it was just a typo in the original post.=, then the 28 years would be right.
I teach 90-minute classes. Most folks I know teach 60 or 75 minute classes. I prefer the longer format (even 2 hrs), but it's harder for hobbyists to fit into their schedules.

I suspect the quote in the OP was more about how much time is spent practicing than just class time, though I also suspect classes may have been longer on average then.